Dave Pickerell's WhistlePig

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For me, the highlight of WhiskeyFest Chicago may have been Dave Pickerell's WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey. It is a found whiskey whose source is being kept secret (naturally) but we know it's Canadian and since the mash is 100 percent unmalted rye the list of possible suspects is short.

Canadian straight ryes are very rarely sold that way. They are made as flavoring whiskeys, to be just one component of a blend. Since the typical Canandian blend is mostly nearly-neutral blending whiskey, the flavoring whiskeys have to be potent and this one is. Pickerell does a little trick where he names some of the characteristic rye flavors while you're tasting and they jump out at you as he does.

People do this at guided tastings all the time. It doesn't always work, but it works like a dream with WhistlePig. Clove? check. Spearmint? check. Anise? check. Wintergreen? check.

As straight ryes go, this is in some sub-category all alone. It's not a typical straight rye, but it is good, although in some ways it tastes more like the ingredient it is than a drink in its own right.

There also isn't very much of it so only Chicago, New York and L.A. will get WhistlePig, which is 100° proof (50% ABV) and 10 years old. It should be on shelves in a month or two and will sell for about $70 a bottle. At that price I hate to say this, but you really do need to get some or, better yet, get a friend to buy it and let you have a taste.

I really wish I could remember what it tasted like. I know it had to be great because I pulled my wife (a non-whiskey drinker) over to the table and told her she HAD to try it (at least this is what she told me the next morning). Unfortunately, this occurred after the Ardbeg presentation where I refused to let those tastings that my wife sipped out of go to waste which seemed to have an effect on my memory of events that followed. I know I was there though because I got one of their glasses.

Tom

For me, the highlight of WhiskeyFest Chicago may have been Dave Pickerell's WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey. It is a found whiskey whose source is being kept secret (naturally) but we know it's Canadian and since the mash is 100 percent unmalted rye the list of possible suspects is short.

Canadian straight ryes are very rarely sold that way. They are made as flavoring whiskeys, to be just one component of a blend. Since the typical Canandian blend is mostly nearly-neutral blending whiskey, the flavoring whiskeys have to be potent and this one is. Pickerell does a little trick where he names some of the characteristic rye flavors while you're tasting and they jump out at you as he does.

People do this at guided tastings all the time. It doesn't always work, but it works like a dream with WhistlePig. Clove? check. Spearmint? check. Anise? check. Wintergreen? check.

As straight ryes go, this is in some sub-category all alone. It's not a typical straight rye, but it is good, although in some ways it tastes more like the ingredient it is than a drink in its own right.

There also isn't very much of it so only Chicago, New York and L.A. will get WhistlePig, which is 100° proof (50% ABV) and 10 years old. It should be on shelves in a month or two and will sell for about $70 a bottle. At that price I hate to say this, but you really do need to get some or, better yet, get a friend to buy it and let you have a taste.

Wonder if there is much relation to Lot 40, which was also a Canadian Rye whiskey.

Damn, I need to get to ChiTown...

Great write up Chuck. It's interesting that he calls it a straight rye and not a Canadian. Does it taste like a Canadian? Is it blended like a Canadian with some malted rye for flavor and some unmalted, very young rye? Also, should we assume this is from Alberta Springs or are there other Canadian distilleries making 100% rye whiskies?

Great write up Chuck. It's interesting that he calls it a straight rye and not a Canadian. Does it taste like a Canadian? Is it blended like a Canadian with some malted rye for flavor and some unmalted, very young rye? Also, should we assume this is from Alberta Springs or are there other Canadian distilleries making 100% rye whiskies?

Although Canadian made, it is in no way like a Canadian whiskey and probably could not be sold as one. It is, in fact, straight rye according to the U.S. rules, including having been aged in new, charred oak barrels. It is all unmalted rye (they used enzymes) and is 100% rye, and all of it is at least 10 years old.

Although Canadian made, it is in no way like a Canadian whiskey and probably could not be sold as one. It is, in fact, straight rye according to the U.S. rules, including having been aged in new, charred oak barrels. It is all unmalted rye (they used enzymes) and is 100% rye, and all of it is at least 10 years old.

While I don't have a copy of the docs regulating Canadian Whiskey manufacture in Canada, I think it could likely be sold as Canadian WHiskey in the US according to BATF rules:

"Canadian whisky" is whisky which is a distinctive product of Canada,

manufactured in Canada in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the

manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada: Provided, That if

such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is "blended Canadian whisky"

While I don't have a copy of the docs regulating Canadian Whiskey manufacture in Canada, I think it could likely be sold as Canadian WHiskey in the US according to BATF rules:

"Canadian whisky" is whisky which is a distinctive product of Canada,

manufactured in Canada in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the

manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada: Provided, That if

such product is a mixture of whiskies, such mixture is "blended Canadian whisky"

That's what I'm saying. I believe it is not "in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada."

That's what I'm saying. I believe it is not "in compliance with the laws of Canada regulating the manufacture of Canadian whisky for consumption in Canada."

I'm definitely intrigued by this. I'd love to try an Old Potrero and Whistle Pig side by side. 100% malted rye vs. 100% unmalted rye, correct?

I took the following from federal (Canadian) regulations under the Food and Drug Act. Under these rules, the whiskey under discussion, if mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, should qualify as Canadian whisky in Canada except possibly for the requirement that it have the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky. I could see arguments both ways on this aspect but I'd incline to a broad interpretation of what is a rather self-referential requirement.

B.02.020. . (1) Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky or Rye Whisky

(a) shall

(i) be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms,

(ii) be aged in small wood for not less than three years,

(iii) possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky,

(iv) be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the Excise Act and the regulations made thereunder,

(v) be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, and

(vi) contain not less than 40 per cent alcohol by volume; and

(B) may contain caramel and flavouring.

(2) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall make any claim with respect to the age of Canadian whisky, other than for the period during which the whisky has been held in small wood.

(3) Where Canadian whisky has been aged in small wood for a period of at least three years, any period not exceeding six months during which that whisky was held in other containers may be claimed as age.

SOR/93-145, s. 10; SOR/2000-51, s. 1.

.....................................................................................

Here is a fuller extract, to get a filler flavour of the approach:

Division 2

Alcoholic Beverages

B.02.001. The foods referred to in this Division are included in the term alcoholic beverage.

SOR/93-145, s. 3(F).

B.02.002. In this Division,

“absolute alcohol†means alcohol of a strength of 100 per cent; (alcool absolu)

“age†means the period during which an alcoholic beverage is kept under such conditions of storage as may be necessary to develop its characteristic flavour and bouquet; (âge)

“alcohol†means ethyl alcohol; (alcool)

“flavouring†means, in respect of a spirit, any other spirit or wine, domestic or imported, added as a flavouring to that spirit as authorized under the Excise Act; (substance aromatique)

“grain spirit†means an alcoholic distillate, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms, and from which all or nearly all of the naturally occurring substances other than alcohol and water have been removed; (esprit de grain)

“malt spirit†means an alcoholic distillate, obtained by pot-still distillation from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms; (esprit de malt)

“molasses spirit†means an alcoholic distillate, obtained from sugar-cane or sugar-cane products fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms, from which all or nearly all of the naturally occurring substances other than alcohol and water have been removed; (esprit de mélasse)

“small wood†means wood casks or barrels of not greater than 700 L capacity; (petit fût)

“sweetening agent†means glucose-fructose, fructose syrup or any food for which a standard is provided in Division 18, or any combination thereof. (agent édulcorant)

SOR/84-300, s. 10; SOR/93-145, s. 4.

B.02.003. Where an alcoholic beverage contains 1.1 per cent or more alcohol by volume, the percentage by volume of alcohol present in the alcoholic beverage shall be shown on the principal display panel followed by the words “alcohol by volume†or the abbreviation “alc./vol.â€.

SOR/88-418, s. 1; SOR/93-145, s. 5(F).

Whisky

B.02.010. . Whisky or Whiskey, other than Malt Whisky, Scotch Whisky, Irish Whisky, Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky, Rye Whisky, Highland Whisky, Bourbon Whisky and Tennessee Whisky,

(a) shall be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms; and

SOR/93-145, s. 6; SOR/93-603, s. 2.

B.02.011. and B.02.012. [Repealed, SOR/93-145, s. 7]

B.02.013. . Malt Whisky

(a) shall be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained by the distillation of a mash of malted grain fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms;

(B) shall possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to malt whisky; and

© may contain caramel and flavouring.

SOR/93-145, s. 8.

B.02.014. . and B.02.015. [Repealed, SOR/93-145, s. 9]

B.02.016. . Scotch Whisky shall be whisky distilled in Scotland as Scotch whisky for domestic consumption in accordance with the laws of the United Kingdom.

B.02.017. No person shall blend or modify in any manner any Scotch whisky that is imported in bulk for the purpose of bottling and sale in Canada as Scotch whisky except by

(a) blending with other Scotch whisky,

(B) the addition of distilled or otherwise purified water to adjust to a required strength, or

© the addition of caramel.

B.02.018. . Irish Whisky shall be whisky distilled in Northern Ireland or in the Republic of Ireland as Irish whisky for domestic consumption in accordance with the laws of Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland.

B.02.019. No person shall blend or modify in any manner any Irish whisky that is imported in bulk for the purpose of bottling and sale in Canada as Irish whisky except by

(a) blending with other Irish whisky,

(B) the addition of distilled or otherwise purified water to adjust to a required strength, or

© the addition of caramel.

B.02.020. . (1) Canadian Whisky, Canadian Rye Whisky or Rye Whisky

(a) shall

(i) be a potable alcoholic distillate, or a mixture of potable alcoholic distillates, obtained from a mash of cereal grain or cereal grain products saccharified by the diastase of malt or by other enzymes and fermented by the action of yeast or a mixture of yeast and other micro-organisms,

(ii) be aged in small wood for not less than three years,

(iii) possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky,

(iv) be manufactured in accordance with the requirements of the Excise Act and the regulations made thereunder,

(v) be mashed, distilled and aged in Canada, and

(vi) contain not less than 40 per cent alcohol by volume; and

(2) Subject to subsection (3), no person shall make any claim with respect to the age of Canadian whisky, other than for the period during which the whisky has been held in small wood.

(3) Where Canadian whisky has been aged in small wood for a period of at least three years, any period not exceeding six months during which that whisky was held in other containers may be claimed as age.

SOR/93-145, s. 10; SOR/2000-51, s. 1.

B.02.021. . Highland Whisky

(a) shall be a potable alcoholic beverage blended in Canada from

(i) not less than 25 per cent malt whisky calculated on an absolute alcohol basis, distilled in Canada or Scotland, and

(ii) whisky; and

(B) may, if it contains 51 per cent or more malt whisky distilled in Scotland, be labelled or advertised as containing malt whisky distilled in Scotland.

SOR/93-145, s. 10.

B.02.022. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall label, package, sell or advertise any food as Bourbon Whisky, or in such a manner that it is likely to be mistaken for Bourbon whisky unless it is whisky manufactured in the United States as Bourbon whisky in accordance with the laws of the United States applicable in respect of Bourbon whisky for consumption in the United States.

(2) A person may modify Bourbon whisky that is imported for the purpose of bottling and sale in Canada as Bourbon whisky by the addition of distilled or otherwise purified water to adjust the Bourbon whisky to a required strength.

SOR/89-59, s. 2; SOR/93-145, s. 11(F).

B.02.022.1. (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall label, package, sell or advertise any food as Tennessee Whisky, or in such a manner that it is likely to be mistaken for Tennessee whisky unless it is a straight Bourbon whisky produced in the State of Tennessee and manufactured in the United States as Tennessee whisky in accordance with the laws of the United States applicable in respect of Tennessee whisky for consumption in the United States.

(2) A person may modify Tennessee whisky that is imported for the purpose of bottling and sale in Canada as Tennessee whisky by the addition of distilled or otherwise purified water to adjust the Tennessee whisky to a required strength.

SOR/93-603, s. 3.

B.02.023. (1) Subject to sections B.02.022 and B.02.022.1, no person shall sell for consumption in Canada any whisky that has not been aged for a period of at least three years in small wood.

(2) Nothing in subsection (1) applies in respect of flavouring contained in whisky, but no person shall sell for consumption in Canada whisky containing any flavouring, other than wine, that has not been aged for a period of at least two years in small wood.

SOR/93-145, s. 12; SOR/93-603, s. 4.

Interesting, so Glen Breton is a 'Highland Whisky"? I bet that really burns the Scots kilts.

Interesting, so Glen Breton is a 'Highland Whisky"? I bet that really burns the Scots kilts.

Not as much as the "Glen" in the name, apparently.

When I visited there eight years ago they said they were using malted barley and equipment from Scotland and barrels from Lynchburg, so they only difference between their product and Scotch was the water and the address.

The Glen Breton product from Nova Scotia is called Glen Breton Canadian Single Malt Whisky. It is a superb product, I just bought one.

Gary

Glad to here it's good, our whiskey club is going to be tasting it next week.

Tom

The Glen Breton product from Nova Scotia is called Glen Breton Canadian Single Malt Whisky. It is a superb product, I just bought one.

Gary

I haven't looked for years at the U.S. definitions of what can be sold there under what names. Just looking at the Canadian regs though, I'd have thought such a product could be released here as Canadian whisky. Whether a distiller here might want to do that is a different matter, so the question probably is moot.

I had a taste a Whistle Pig at a local store the weekof Whiskey Fest and enjoyed it thoroughly but at $70 a bottle, I think I have to pass. I'd rather turn to one of the few remaining VWFRR's I have that are almost twice as old and quite a bit cheaper.

The regs Gary posted are surprisingly silent on a key fact: distillation proof. I have heard, but can't document, that Canandian whisky is required to be distilled at just short of neutrality and that the amount of lower proof flavoring whiskey that can be used is less than 10 percent. But I hasten to add that this is on the order of a rumor. I've never been able to document it but I've also never found a Canadian reg that mentions distillation proof either. Therein lies the problem.

This is the sort of thing American producers whisper in my ear when I ask them about American blended whiskey. They wonder why Canadian whisky gets more respect when American blends must be at least 20% straight whiskey and most Canadian blends are less.

Glen Breton can be a "single malt" if it's all malt and the product of a single distillery, but it might be all 94% ABV distillate. WhistlePig was distilled at less than 80% ABV and entered into new, charred oak barrels at less than 62.5% ABV. If what I have been told is correct, a spirit entirely distilled at that low proof could not be labeled Canadian whisky.

Glen Breton is a single but not a straight in American terms. That's the point. WhistlePig is a straight in American terms.

Glen Breton can be a "single malt" if it's all malt and the product of a single distillery, but it might be all 94% ABV distillate. WhistlePig was distilled at less than 80% ABV and entered into new, charred oak barrels at less than 62.5% ABV. If what I have been told is correct, a spirit entirely distilled at that low proof could not be labeled Canadian whisky.

Glen Breton is a single but not a straight in American terms. That's the point. WhistlePig is a straight in American terms.

It would be quite amazing if they managed to get 94% abv distillate coming of a copper pot still. Pot stills aren't known for being very efficient at getting high abv.

I would guess the only thing preventing them from getting the "straight" moniker is the same thing keeping Scotch from earning it as well--used cooperage.

It would be quite amazing if they managed to get 94% abv distillate coming of a copper pot still. Pot stills aren't known for being very efficient at getting high abv.

I would guess the only thing preventing them from getting the "straight" moniker is the same thing keeping Scotch from earning it as well--used cooperage.

It also tastes like Scotch, not GNS aged in Jack Daniel's barrels, which I guess would taste like vodka with a hint of Jack Daniel's, like when you drink a Coke and then the ice melts, so you end up with water with a hint of Coke in it.

I would guess that Glen Breton is distilled at low enough proof for the barley taste to remain.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

I think you guys are missing my point. The fact that it's a single malt doesn't mean it isn't made like every other Canadian. It just means that the only grain is malt and it's all made there. In no sense does it mean it's all low proof distillate.

I just went to the Facebook site for Whistlepig. After a little browsing through photos, it appears that Raj Peter Bhatka, yup, the one from The Apprentice, is the money behind this operation.

Go through the photos and you'll see a bunch from Chicago and few from "The Distillery" in Shorehman Vt.

I can't believe they Photo Shopped Dave Pickerell and Raj onto some farm photos of what is probably property owned by Raj in VT.

I went to college not far from Shoreham, in Middlebury and I can just about guarantee that it'll be a while before anything resembling a still will be allowed in that area.

Microbrews, yes, Whiskey, NO!!

I hate to say it, but it looks like money talks and this is just another pig in a Pogue.

I can almost hear how this project developed.

I know where there's some XXXX. We can get it for $YYY, bottle it as a super premium rye and make that fortune you missed out on from The Apprentice.

I won't buy it.

In an effort to Cover my butt, Dave Pickerell is a whiskey genius. Can't blame him for taking the job. (And that's what it is)

Shame, Shame, Col Ed.

The photos are not photo shopped ... they were actually taken on site.

We almost have all the ducks lined up in VT for the distillery, too. Including the divisions of air, water, and waste ... and the alcohol control folks ad the health departmet...

and its not just a job... I am a partner in the deal.

Dave is not doing anything different than others that are in the market. He has purchased what he considers a great whiskey and bottling it as his (and partners) label. What is wrong with that? It puts another interesting and in my opinion, tastey whiskey on the market. It also looks like he is going to eventually open a distillery. Nothing wrong with that.

Good luck Dave.

Mike Veach

OK.

Please accept my apology.

No qualifiers. I was out of line.

I really do wish all y'all best of luck.

I might buy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.