Black Maple Hills

Speedy_John
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What can you folks tell me about this brand? I first came across it about two years ago while in Arizona. A store there had three bottlings--14yo, 16yo and 20yo (if I remember correctly). They were all pretty expensive ($45 for the 14yo, I think. Much more for the older ones.) I had never heard of this brand before, and have not discovered much about it since. Paul Pacult rates them fairly well, but I know nothing about where they come from, who bottles it, etc. Any info would be appreciated.

SpeedyJohn

It's distributed from California. It's a private label (Julian's whiskey), slightly different proofs. Very good stuff. Try the 16 y/o.

Omar

On a related note, Whisky Magazine published this little blurb

in their latest issue (I cut-n-pasted it from the website):

"

Kentucky’s Old Rip Van Winkle whiskey and The Village Pub in Woodside, California, have teamed up to release a special bottling of Van Winkle single batch wheated bourbon. It is called Old Van Winkle’s Woodside Partners’ Reserve, and is 15 years old and 92.6 proof.

The Village Pub’s Tim Stannard personally selected the single batch bourbon on a visit to Kentucky when he met Julian Van Winkle III.

To begin with, the 300 bottles will be available only at The Village Pub and will cost from $10 to $12.

In the future some will be distributed to selected Bay Area restaurants.

Each bottle carries a Village Pub label made of special antique paper.

You can call The Village Pub on +1 650 851 9888.

"

Fifteen years old, and only $10-$15 per bottle?????

Does anyone in California have any info on this?

Tim

I'm gonna go out on a limb and I have to say that's a typo. Maybe 10-12 a shot. Julian doesn't sell any thing near that price for a 750ml bottle. I saw a personalized bott grin.gif le at Liquor Barn for 18 and that's as cheap as I've seen . Then again if it is true , I would like a few!

Of course, Bobby, just sloppy reporting by whisky-world.com. I just got off the phone with Tim Stannard, whose name is on every bottle, and, while a drink of this new 17yo (Buffalo Trace) wheater is $10 at his bar, all 15 drinks in one of the 200 bottles of "Woodside Partners' Reserve" will set you back $50.

I'll be posting details of my discussion with Tim under a new thread in Single Barrel as soon as I receive the scan of the bottle from him. If the scan is delayed too long, I'll post details in a few days anyway.

Thanks for the info, Omar. So, can I assume BMH is a "wheated" bourbon? Please forgive my ignorance, but any guess as to which distillery produced it?

SpeedyJohn

• 3 weeks later...

The Old Commonwealth is a collector's item. We are not going to bottle that label any more. There may be a few bottles left at Binny's in Chicago. But you can have the same whiskey in our Old Rip Van Winkle, 10-year, 107 proof.

As far as the Woodside whiskey, it is bottled at Buffalo Trace, as all my whiskey is now, but it is a 15 year specially selected wheated barrel by one of the owners of the Village Pub, Tim Stannard. It is some of the best whiskey I have ever tasted!

If anyone is going to the Whisky Expo in March, we are having a Van Winkle whiskey tasting, Friday the 21st, including Woodside Reserve, at the Village Pub restauraunt in Woosdide, CA. Call Tim Stannard @ 415-831-5437 for info.

Julian

Julian: Great to see you back here posting once again! We've missed you! Best of luck with the Sazerac/BT venture.

Julian, do you have any more info on the Whisky Expo? I searched with Google, but it only came up with 7 hits, none of which gave any details on the Expo.

I might just have to plan a business trip out there about that time. wink.gif

Yeah I called there too but I was told by some lady that they will not ship them. Anyone in CA willing to ship me a bottle? wink.gif I told her geez, if I knew someone who lived around there do you really think I'd be calling begging you to ship me one.

And right after I called the pub, I send an email to my group at work. My company and the group I work in are based in San Jose, CA. I already have arranged for someone to pick me up a bottle and hold it for me until my next business trip to San Jose. smirk.gif

>...any more info on the Whisky Expo? I searched with Google, but it only

> came up with 7 hits

It's called the Whiskies of the World Expo.

Go to www.celticmalts.com and follow the links.

Speakers include Jimmy Russell, Bill Samuels, Julian Van Winkle,

Fred Noe, Jim Rutledge, Fritz Maytag, and a few others.

I think they each speak for an hour, but a few of them are scheduled

to overlap.

Tim

Thanks for the info, Tim.

I just realized that I won't be able to go that weekend. I am on vacation with the kids during spring break. Oh, well!

Hi all. I noticed that Julian's message lists the wrong phone number for The Village Pub in Woodside, CA. The correct number is 650-851-9888. We are having a whiskey tasting and dinner with Julian on Saturday March 21. Anyone who is interested should just give us a call. For those of you that are interested in a bottle of the Woodside Partner's Reserve please call me at the number listed above and I will arrange to get a bottle in your hands. It really is pretty incredible Bourbon.

Cheers!

Tim Stannard

Tim,

You mean Friday March 21 right?

There it is folks, another outstanding reason to attend the WhisketExpo. I've not been to the Village Pub, but I did have a phone conversation with Tim earlier today. If his personality is indicative of the quality of his restaurant, this should prove to be a superb event.

Thanks Jim,

Sorry about that, it is Friday March 21. If you are interested let me know and I will post the menu for you.

Best,

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.