World of Whiskey in Heathrow Terminal 4...any neat stuff to get?

shannichols
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Simple question...I've got a flight back home through LHR and I noticed that they have a World Of Whiskey duty free store in Terminal 4 where I'll be departing from.

Has anyone been through this store recently and if so were there any interesting bottles or offerings you would suggest picking up? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you, but since I'll be going through Heathrow the end of July I'm very interested in your post.

Last time my sister past through there (a few years back) I called them and she ended up getting me a Wild Turkey Sherry Signature. From memory I think it was about 30 pounds.

I know they have a huge range of scotches, bourbons were limited, back then anyways.

Scott

Was through there in Jan. If you want something it's gonna be a scotch. The only one that stuck out was a ltd. Dalmore but there is plenty to choose from.

Timing is everything. I received my Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate today and they have an article titled "Flying Home with Whisky". It's a nicely done story, very concise yet covers a lot of topics related to buying whisk(e)y (mainly Scotch) at various airports around the world.

World of Whiskies is talked about and that they currently have eight stores in the UK, three of them at Heathrow. Regarding your post, it tells us that WoW now has a web site that allows you to see what they stock, their prices and an available pre-order service. Check out www.worldofwhiskies.com.

I went to the site, and as for American products there's not much variety. They have various JD's, JB white and black, MM and WR. I'll still have to stop in when I'm at Heathrow, but I'm not counting on finding anything to bring home. Besides, as the article states, transporting liquids isn't as easy as it used to be.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

When I was there in '08, they only had the 'standard' bourbons. They did, on the other hand, have a bottle of Glenfiddich for 7000 pounds. Wonder what the tastes like?

• 2 weeks later...
When I was there in '08, they only had the 'standard' bourbons. They did, on the other hand, have a bottle of Glenfiddich for 7000 pounds. Wonder what the tastes like?

For 7000 Pounds it better do things to you that your wife won't and most of us only dream of. ;)

2 weeks until I leave so I'll post back then anything interesting that they have and whatever I buy.

On a somewhat related note...anybody know of any stores with interesting finds to check in London proper? I'm out in Reading now but will be spending a couple fo days right in the city off of Holborn.

Check out the Whisky Exchange. You can get an idea of what they carry buy checking out their website!

Thomas

I'm stretching the memory a bit (it was in 2004), but I had some good finds at Royal Mile Whiskies. We were staying on Pickadilly and it was a 10 minute stroll away. A quick check of their web site shows Blantons Gold and Evan Williams 23yo :cool:

www.royalmilewhiskies.com

Timing is everything. I received my Summer 2010 issue of Malt Advocate today and they have an article titled "Flying Home with Whisky". It's a nicely done story, very concise yet covers a lot of topics related to buying whisk(e)y (mainly Scotch) at various airports around the world.

That was a nice piece and it is available at MA - this link should

work but if not, check the online edition link via MA home page.

John Q.

I popped in back in early June and they had no bourbons at all, they had had some woodford reserve in but sold it all.

I'm stretching the memory a bit (it was in 2004), but I had some good finds at Royal Mile Whiskies. We were staying on Pickadilly and it was a 10 minute stroll away. A quick check of their web site shows Blantons Gold and Evan Williams 23yo :cool:

www.royalmilewhiskies.com

• 2 weeks later...
I'll be staying just a few blocks away from here on Holborn so I'll definitely check it out on the way to the British Museum. I'll check out the other one that was listed above yours as well.

Sadly, my wife called yesterday to inform our air conditioner has died so my spare whiskey money has probably been turned into a new system. Damn!

I stopped by Royal Mile Whiskies and they do have a pretty decent selection. If anyone's looking for BTAC they had at least one of each up on the top shelf at around 100GBP each so around $150 after conversion and they do ship. Bourbon-wise they had the usual suspects. Scotch-wise they had a good selection as well and even have small sections for Rum, Vodka, and other offerings.

On a related note I did stop at the World of Whiskies at LHR Terminal 4 and nothing really stood out for me that I just had to have. No Bourbon here at all but lots of Scotch as expected. Prices seemed halfway decent for what you would get outside the airport.

I would have jumped at anything that was cask strength but the only one anybody seemed to have was a Bowmore and we can get that stateside.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.