Almost fourteen years...and rebuilding

boone
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The fire at Heaven Hill, November 1996.

I didn't think it would happen but they've dropped massive amounts of lumber and bulldozers are moving ground rebuilding a warehouse! The location is right across from the old distillery that burned.

5 warehouses burned across the road and two beside the distillery. I keep forgetting to ask for more details :skep: :lol: I'ill keep this post updated as things progess. Might stop by and take a few pictures.

Bettye Jo, I know it's sort of morbid, but have you ever come across any photos of the fire?

It's great to hear that they've started replacing lost warehouses though!

Thank you very much Betty Jo. Please keep us updated on how things progress. See you in September. :grin: Joe

Bettye Jo, I know it's sort of morbid, but have you ever come across any photos of the fire?

I found a few photographs while searching the internet. I believe all are from The Kentucky Standard newspaper.

post-1005-14489816734629_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816734837_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816734897_thumb.jpg

I have a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel that survived the fire.

It was barreled May 28, 1996. It's the closest to fire date that I have found so far.

I also have a bottle of the 1996 EWSB. It was barreled 10-18-96. I will be opening this one when my daughter gets married as it is from the year she was born!

Thomas

We saw a picture on one of the tours we took-- I think the Tom Moore tour. It was horrifying. I'm glad that business is doing so well that rebuilding is going to take place, regardless of how many years later.

I have a couple ....... Never mind Doug posted them

• 7 months later...

Update:

http://www.kystandard.com/content/governor-visits-heaven-hill-rickhouse-dedication

pictures:

http://www.kystandard.com/content/heaven-hill-rickhouse-dedication-feb-16-2011

The fire at Heaven Hill, November 1996.

I didn't think it would happen but they've dropped massive amounts of lumber and bulldozers are moving ground rebuilding a warehouse! The location is right across from the old distillery that burned.

5 warehouses burned across the road and two beside the distillery. I keep forgetting to ask for more details :skep: :lol: I'ill keep this post updated as things progess. Might stop by and take a few pictures.

How nice. The whiskey industry is one of the few bright spots in the economy. Just like my Grandaddy used to say. If you want to make a good consistent living, just remember, people are always going to eat and drink.

Thank you Bettye Jo. Great article and pics. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see you, and the new digs at HH in a few weeks. :grin: Cheers! Joe

The article says, "Shapira’s father and uncles started Heaven Hill in 1934."

Not true. Bettye Jo's great-grandfather started Heaven Hill in 1934 and Max Shapira's father and uncles bought it from him.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.