Charter Private Reserve

jsbac
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was in Memphis the other day and saw "Charter Private Reserve". It is not Proprietor's Reserve. It is 80-proof blended whiskey. I haven't seen it anywhere before and can't find it on the internet. Has anyone else seen this? It was on sale, so I bought it. I haven't tried it yet (it wasn't the only thing I bought :grin: ).

Thanks -

jsbac

BT has talked about releasing some "better blends," so maybe this is an example. You're in the heart of Old Charter country down there (biggest market for Charter is Little Rock).

Thanks for the replies. I really did look last night and couldn't find it...of course I had a couple of drinks before searching. I don't usually buy blends, but I do love my Old Charter. My Dad and myself probably account for the good Arkansas sales. I figured for $15 I'd see what it is about. For the moment though, I'm drinking my VOB BiB (which also came from Memphis).

Thanks again -

jsbac

Thanks for the replies. I really did look last night and couldn't find it...of course I had a couple of drinks before searching. I don't usually buy blends, but I do love my Old Charter. My Dad and myself probably account for the good Arkansas sales. I figured for $15 I'd see what it is about. For the moment though, I'm drinking my VOB BiB (which also came from Memphis).

Thanks again -

jsbac

My cousin told me about a blend she was told about while taking their tour of BT a few years ago, it was meant to take on Crown Royal. I'd say this is it.

That is really, really fancy packaging for a blend.

I may go back and get a couple more. I'll give them away. Maybe to my Dad.....one for Christmas, one for his birthday, and then when he retires in February I'll give him the handle of OC12. At that point I should be his favorite son. :lol:

My cousin told me about a blend she was told about while taking their tour of BT a few years ago, it was meant to take on Crown Royal. I'd say this is it.

This is the first time I saw it. I'd never even heard of it. Makes me wander about what goes on behind closed doors at Marketing time. In that other link, he talked like this is a product that had been put out there, and then it was gone. So I guess the 4 other bottles will be the last I ever see it.

I say if Old Charter REALLY loved me they'd bring back OC12.

jsbac

Does it say anywhere (could be the neck label) n% Grain Neutral Spirts (or Neutral Spirits or Grain Spirits)? It might be very small print, so use a magnifying glass (if there's GNS in it then it's required to say so, but I don't think the reg requires it to be visible to the naked eye).

No, I do not see any declaration of GNS although I don't have a magnifying glass readily available. Is it possible that it could be under the neck label? I still have not opened the bottle.

Does it say anywhere (could be the neck label) n% Grain Neutral Spirts (or Neutral Spirits or Grain Spirits)? It might be very small print, so use a magnifying glass (if there's GNS in it then it's required to say so, but I don't think the reg requires it to be visible to the naked eye).

Scott was exaggerating a little. If it's there you should be able to find it. If it's not that's really interesting. No GNS means all whiskey, but "blended" means whiskey of different types.

Scott was exaggerating a little. If it's there you should be able to find it. If it's not that's really interesting. No GNS means all whiskey, but "blended" means whiskey of different types.

I've looked closely at the bottle and exterior packaging and there is no mention of GNS. The only places I've seen it for sale is east Texas and Arkansas. As I stated in the other thread, a Republic exec said it didn't sell well and has been "discontinued". IIRC, I paid full price of $20 about three years ago on the way to the KBF traveling thru east Texas.

Randy

I've looked closely at the bottle and exterior packaging and there is no mention of GNS. The only places I've seen it for sale is east Texas and Arkansas. As I stated in the other thread, a Republic exec said it didn't sell well and has been "discontinued". IIRC, I paid full price of $20 about three years ago on the way to the KBF traveling thru east Texas.

Randy

So this has been out that long?! Dang, not that I would very interested really, but I recall the Charter 101 that came out a few years ago just didn't expect them to have 2 released right on top of each other.

Chuck

I may have asked this before but why don't they use the word blended when talking about mixing with GNS and the word vatted when mixing different whiskeys together? It would be a whole lot less confusing.

Paul

It's essentially a compromise made 101 years ago and not revisited since.

The best way to eliminate confusion would be to define blended whiskey the way the rest of the world does and call whiskey-flavored vodka whiskey-flavored vodka.

Paul: That might clear it up for you, but it would only confuse the scotch drinkers, as "vatted" is a word used for multiple single malt scotches that come from different distilleries and are combined.

From what I understand, blending various different whiskeys from the same distillery is marrying them. There SHOULD be a difference in labeling, I agree. When I see "blend" I almost always think GNS, and don't double check to see if it's actually just a blend of straights.

Maybe it should declare a blend of 100% whiskey, or a blend of straights, or something like that. Whatever... the big boys will label things how they want regardless of what you and I want.

I noticed today that Seagram's Seven is out with a special 75th Anniversary limited edition.

Perhaps in honor of the 75th anniversary, it's 75% GNS. (Oh, wait. It's always 75% GNS.)

• 6 years later...

Hey fellas, I know this is an old thread but there was some mention of a blended whiskey made by buffalo trace called Charter Private Reserve. I was at local LS the other day just there to grab a bottle from a known supply of older OGD Bonded, when for whatever ever reason this sharp little blag velvet bag caught my eye. I usually ignore liquor in bags out of habit, but this time I saw that it had the word "Charter" embroidered into it. 

So I'm digging up the past trying to figure this stuff out. I e-mailed BT and attached their response along with a picture of the product. The bottle does NOT say GNS anywhere on it. If anybody knows anything about what I'm drinking I am all ears. Would love to hear the story on this one.

I have looked through a few of the threads on here which stated that this is a mix of a few different straight whiskeys, however specifics are still a little fuzzy.  (proportions, age, etc . . )

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys

charter pr email.PNG

Charter PR.JPG

2 hours ago, knoxdocs said:

Hey fellas, I know this is an old thread but there was some mention of a blended whiskey made by buffalo trace called Charter Private Reserve. I was at local LS the other day just there to grab a bottle from a known supply of older OGD Bonded, when for whatever ever reason this sharp little blag velvet bag caught my eye. I usually ignore liquor in bags out of habit, but this time I saw that it had the word "Charter" embroidered into it. 

So I'm digging up the past trying to figure this stuff out. I e-mailed BT and attached their response along with a picture of the product. The bottle does NOT say GNS anywhere on it. If anybody knows anything about what I'm drinking I am all ears. Would love to hear the story on this one.

I have looked through a few of the threads on here which stated that this is a mix of a few different straight whiskeys, however specifics are still a little fuzzy.  (proportions, age, etc . . )

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to hearing from you guys

A bottled labeled as American blended whiskey like this was definitely has GNS in it or it wouldn't be labeled as such. it doesn't have to say it has GNS as that is a given with that label. It is only required to have a minimum of 20% straight whiskey. The rest can be GNS and there is every reason to think that the majority of this is GNS.

Well at 80 proof the majority of it is water! <_<

If it was cheap enough, I think I might have bought it to use as a pretty vatting bottle complete with kitschy velvet bag :) 

It would be sad if indeed they took the great Charter name and put a GNS blend in it.

If there isn't GNS, I'd think they would just call it bourbon - and leave the "straight" off if there's anything less than 2 yrs.  I automatically assume any US blended whiskey is more than half GNS, although I have to admit - I don't think about US blends very often :)  But agree with Paul - it is a sharp looking bottle!  Hell - I paid $30 for a whiskey before just for the bottle (and still trying to figure out what to do with that Willett Pot Still bottle!)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.