110 proof beer

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/07/22/worlds-strongest-beer-launches-bottle/

World's Strongest Beer Launches at $762 a Bottle

Published July 22, 2010 | NewsCore

It is a blond Belgian Ale named The End of History made by the British company BrewDog. If not for the hops, juniper etc. it would be whiskey. Sounds like a "gin tasting beer".....I would pass on it for flavor profile alone.

@Josh: If you're looking for a witness, you got one!

Can somebody please tell me why in the world people are doing this to beer? Shoving it in old casks and aging it, jacking up the alcohol, throwing friggin' berries and stuff in there, but when it comes to making *good* beer, they're not willing to?

And by *good* beer, I mean beer that is *real ale*, made the traditional way, fermented the second time in wood casks and pumped out with a "beer engine". I had some of the real ale in London the last time I was there and it was amazing. It was the essence of what made beer, well... beer! It's almost unheard of here in the States an getting rarer in England. And when you *do* find it in the States, of course they've taken a dumptruck full of hops and thrown it in the barrel. Why? Because, like racing stripes making for a faster car, more hops apparently makes for a higher quality "microbrew". Wait... what?

Got any extra space on that soapbox? Let me join you...

:soapbox:

Can somebody please tell me why in the world people are doing this to beer? Shoving it in old casks and aging it, jacking up the alcohol, throwing friggin' berries and stuff in there, but when it comes to making *good* beer, they're not willing to?

And by *good* beer, I mean beer that is *real ale*, made the traditional way, fermented the second time in wood casks and pumped out with a "beer engine". I had some of the real ale in London the last time I was there and it was amazing. It was the essence of what made beer, well... beer! It's almost unheard of here in the States an getting rarer in England. And when you *do* find it in the States, of course they've taken a dumptruck full of hops and thrown it in the barrel. Why? Because, like racing stripes making for a faster car, more hops apparently makes for a higher quality "microbrew". Wait... what?

Testify brother! There's always room on the box! :lol:

Brewdog make a lot of good unfrozen beer as well and I did actually se some on the shelves in Huston in May.

Several bars in Stockholm serve real ale.

Leif

Am I the only one that think that freeze distilling is the same as it's not a beer anymore. (Same way as "real" disitlling makes a beer into something else)

Personally I won't catagorise this as a beer no matter what

MAcdeffe

Beers have been thrown in old casks for going on 15 years now. The alcohol has slowly been creeping up over the years. Berries have been used in beers now for around 500 years ... think lambics.

It's nothing new. Sounds like you need to get back to England and advocate for CAMRA, cause you need to be in the minority. Regardless, there is still PLENTY of good traditional and american beer available.

Am I the only one that think that freeze distilling is the same as it's not a beer anymore. (Same way as "real" disitlling makes a beer into something else)

Personally I won't catagorise this as a beer no matter what

MAcdeffe

Again, this is nothing new. If you look at the Eisbock style of beer, it's been around since 1930 ... a great example of this is Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock which is freeze distilled at sits at 12% alcohol and again, it's been around since 1930 and others may have been around even before that.

Alcohol has been steadily going up in American "craft" beer (I'll use that term, I guess, even though I'm not thrilled with it, because "microbrew" annoys the heck out of me: the breweries are "micro", not the beer), although not this high.

ABV from 7% to 10% is not uncommon. I'm not thrilled with this trend because it severely limits the amount of beer I can drink at a bar. A beer can be full-bodied without having such a high initial specific gravity.

All in all, I prefer a 110 proof bourbon. :grin: Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.