Jack Daniels American Forests?

bourbon-n00b
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I haven't had Jack Daniels in ages but this 90 proof bottling has caught my attention. Has anyone here tried it? I'd guess that the 10 proof point increase would provide a bolder and richer taste profile over the standard, but I'd love to here some opinions from those who have had it.

Thanks in advance for any information.

I've never had 90prf Jack, but if the cost is the same as the "no-lead" version on the shelfs today it would be worth buying for at the least, the learning experience, if you don't like it your buddys might like a Jack n Coke when they come over.

Not sure if it was ever available here in MI. I can get it for $32.99, which is $10 more than state minimum for the regular black label and $12 less than the single barrel 94 proof.

I think it's worth a try. You are right, I'm sure someone will drink it if I'm not a fan.

I remember drinking Jack when it was 90 proof, a long time ago. It sure was a lot better than the 80 proof of today. Have to wait to see the price point here in PA. Dickel will probably still be better whiskey IMO.

Joe

I remember drinking Jack when it was 90 proof, a long time ago. It sure was a lot better than the 80 proof of today. Have to wait to see the price point here in PA. Dickel will probably still be better whiskey IMO.

Joe

Jack does a lot of its collector bottlings at 90 proof. All the "Gold Medal" series was anyway.

JD dropped from 90 proof to 86 proof in 1988 and down to 80 proof in 2003. The 90 proof version is miles better than todays 80 proof although I suspect that the 90 proof of 20 some years ago was older whiskey than todays 90 proof. For 32.99, I would give it a try!

Thomas

Thanks guys! Got my order in and will post my impressions when I get around to cracking one open.

• 1 month later...

The fine folks at Shoppers Vineyard have dropped the price on this to $21.99. Before shipping, that's cheaper than the standard JD black here in MI. Even though I haven't tried the ones I got in July, at that price I had to add a few more to the bunker :)

The fine folks at Shoppers Vineyard have dropped the price on this to $21.99. Before shipping, that's cheaper than the standard JD black here in MI. Even though I haven't tried the ones I got in July, at that price I had to add a few more to the bunker :)

You know this thread has got me to thinking that a JD SB might be worth trying again.

It comes in at 94prf, it'd be a good idea to split a bottle with 1 or 2 others.

You know this thread has got me to thinking that a JD SB might be worth trying again.

Who hacked Oscar's account?

Come on, fess up.

Instead of regular JD Single Barrel, I would get the Silver Select 100 proof at the Detroit duty free. It isn't any more expensive than the regular single barrel at normal retail. I am getting some JD American Forests bottles too. I plan to compare them to some late 80's 90 proof JD. It should be interesting!

Thomas

Who hacked Oscar's account?

Come on, fess up.

:lol: Nope, it was me. I haven't had any in years.

Instead of regular JD Single Barrel, I would get the Silver Select 100 proof at the Detroit duty free. It isn't any more expensive than the regular single barrel at normal retail.

Yeah, the SS might be best.

I really like the JD SB. It is very enjoyable, but not very complex. Great for sipping on when you want a good drink, but don't want to think about it too much.

• 3 months later...

I grew up on the 90 proof, it was my Dad's favorite, and am pleased to see JD is supplying something like it was formerly. The price puts me off though, Dad also taught me to pay what something costs but not more than it's worth.

I grew up on the 90 proof, it was my Dad's favorite, and am pleased to see JD is supplying something like it was formerly. The price puts me off though, Dad also taught me to pay what something costs but not more than it's worth.

As I stated earlier, I was able to get some JD AF cheaper than the

standard 80 proof JD. That on-line seller no longer lists it on their

website but maybe you should keep an eye out for the JD Angelo

Lucchesi - it is 90 proof and maybe the price will drop low enough

to interest you.

• 5 months later...

Any idea why this was such a bust of a release? I picked up a bottle of this at a store in Chicago today where it is also at $21.99. I like my recent release bottle of the JD single barrel enough that I figure it might be a close enough replacement. Actually the formally written shelf talker, with no reference to who wrote it, refers to this as single barrel but I'll presume it isn't. When it comes to estery fruit forward whiskeys I still prefer Barton BIB or 1792 Ridgemont Reserve but the dryness and char of Jack SB adds a nice change of pace on occasion.

I really like the JD SB. It is very enjoyable, but not very complex. Great for sipping on when you want a good drink, but don't want to think about it too much.

Agreed. I'm really not a JD fan, but someone convinced me I would like the SB... he was right. I always have a bottle of JDSB on hand. It is very enjoyable pour.

Just ran into a slew of these bottles today actually. I passed at $36.99. Given the similarity in shape between it and the JDSB I had actually assumed it was a SB. Guess I had better read the labels better :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.