White Owl Clear Whisky

Powertrip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well I finally decided to pick up a bottle of the Highwood Distillers White Owl Clear Whisky, after staring at it on the store shelves for the past 4 or 5 months.

Ridiculously, and I mean ridiculously smooth. It melts in the mouth. Somewhat sweet but not entirely over-bearing.

The best part is its finish. The absolute softest Vanilla Cream hangs around forever on the palate. I just can't get enough of the finish...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Powertrip, that sounds pretty decent. I was wondering how this would be since Highwood whiskies are mellow to begin with, even by Canadian standards, so I hoped that in removing the colour they didn't also strip away too much flavour.

Say, how much does that bottle run? It's not available in Ontario yet.

• 1 month later...

hi, I am interested in this bottle. I have a couple of questions:

1. what is the point of removing the color?

2. I see an ad for it right now saying "the color is filtered out, but a touch of citrix and vanilla remains". is this their way of saying this is flavoured whisky? ie: they added citrix and vanilla flavours?

3. is this some kind of limited edition whisky? or is it a bottle they plan on making every year?

I think the concept is, you age it for a time to get the benefits of aging, a smoothing out, etc. (to be called whisky it must be aged 3 years anyway in Canada), and then, to offer a white spirit, you filter it in activated charcoal to strip out the colour. White spirits are popular today and a white whisky is a novel idea, so the producers are hoping it will take off in the clubs and bars.

The vanilla and citrus probably are residual flavours from the barrel, i.e., I doubt any flavouring is added such as vanilla extract or the like.

Its flavor too will depend on the proof it was distilled at. If it was distilled over 190 proof, as the base for most Canadian whisky is, it will likely have a mild taste. If it incorporates any whisky distilled at under 190 proof and especially in the 140 proof range, it may have some good, traditional whisky flavour.

A lot of white rum is in fact aged and then de-colored to offer a white rum product.

Anyway I look forward to trying it.

Gary

• 3 months later...

Just heard an interview on WhiskyCast from the Victoria Whisky Festival, and the first think that came to mind was Frost 8/80 (which itself showed up this week on a drinks blog!)

Even the same rationale ("it'll work better in cocktails!") I guess the difference is a rye base...

Gary: did you ever post tasting notes?

Kevin, I did, in another thread. It's very good, like a whisky version of coconut cream pie.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.