Kentucky Bourbon Festival 2010

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm starting my critique of the KBF a little early this year.

My big gripe is the paucity of events and activities aimed at you, the bourbon enthusiast. There are so few official enthusiast activities that enthusiasts themselves have organized their own, i.e., the Gazebo and the BTOY.

Get the full flavor here and here.

The greatest outrage is probably the so-called 'spirit garden,' which a poster to my blog called, "a joke - just a hot, hard-scrabble sports field surrounded by a fence and armed cops. Hardly the ambiance one would like for quiet enjoyment of fine bourbon." A close second is the $$$ gala $$$. That said, and at the risk of showing off on the internet, how would you fix the KBF? Or do you find it perfect just as it is?

My big gripe is the paucity of events and activities aimed at you, the bourbon enthusiast. There are so few official enthusiast activities that enthusiasts themselves have organized their own, i.e., the Gazebo and the BTOY.

I never thought about it before and I have never been to the Spring Samplers or the KBF so now that you mention it it does seem odd.

The distilleries and the state of Kentucky has seen the big big money that California takes in with their wineries and want in on it.

But as you said they do seem to be ignoring the enthusiast and they should be paying more attention to how Cali attracts the wine enthusiast.

My wife and her sister are planning a trip to San Fransisco in the next year or so. I did some checking and they offer limos from SF to Napa Valley wineries, both small, stretch and bus limos.

They should try to do something for the enthusiast but maybe they think the "aw shucks, straw between the teeth" crowd are the only whiskey drinkers.

Culture is America's biggest export and bourbon like our music is loved by Europeans and Asians, to attract the big spenders there should be something offered to them and us USA enthusiasts.

What that could be? I dunno. Maybe some of the Cali guys could chime in and tell us what else the wineries offer and how they do it out on the left coast.

That said, and at the risk of showing off on the internet, how would you fix the KBF?

My wife and her sister are planning a trip to San Fransisco in the next year or so. I did some checking and they offer limos from SF to Napa Valley wineries, both small, stretch and bus limos.

As you say Chuck, there are not any events aimed for the enthusiast as it seems to be more akin to a county fair. An event that I think could attract more international jounalistic interest and interest from the enthusiast is to have a "tasting" event where the distilleries are allowed to bring something from their libraries/experiments/vaults to taste. It might be expensive, but could be used to raise funds for charity/bourbon museum/etc.

Imagine getting to sit down with 100 other enthusiasts and taste some bottled WT from the early days and have Jimmy Russel review it with you. Or Julian pull some early SW to discuss that was made when his family owned the distillery. Or BT offer some experimentals that won't get bottled but are interesting anyway. Or anything from those three or four barrels that aren't enough to produce a commercial product but are noteworthy. And each distillery could begin setting aside neat stuff for the future events. I'd pay $100 for a special event to taste rare whiskies this way!

Randy

"Drunken County Fair" is what one of our prominent members calls it.

I"m completely with Randy (except the ice :grin:). Honestly, there's almost nothing offered at the KBF that would make it onto the table when my group gets together. Why should the festival have the least interesting whiskey I'll drink all year?

Now the Gazebo, that's worth attending!

Roger

Of all distilleries, I think that Four Roses "gets it" with regard to the KBF.

They host the Lets Talk Bourbon breakfast and also a small batch LE bourbon release luncheon for their club members. While these are not necessarily "enthusiast" events, they do engage the community on their turf.

Of all distilleries, I think that Four Roses "gets it" with regard to the KBF.

They host the Lets Talk Bourbon breakfast and also a small batch LE bourbon release luncheon for their club members. While these are not necessarily "enthusiast" events, they do engage the community on their turf.

The Small Batch LE release IS an enthusiast event.

Joe :usflag:

The Small Batch LE release IS an enthusiast event.

Joe :usflag:

If you consider the Mellow Moments club to be for enthusiasts, then I agree. Since it is open to anyone who stumbles across their site, I'm on the fence.

Bourbon Society functions are more of what I think of when enthusiast groups are mentioned.

Who owns the name, "Kentucky Bourbon Festival"?

Louisville could host a heck of a festival, there are enough enthusiast there and a lot more out of state people who would come to support a more upscale kind of event.

Louisville could host a heck of a festival, there are enough enthusiast there and a lot more out of state people who would come to support a more upscale kind of event.

I have never been to any of the Whisk(e)y Fest that Whisky Magazine puts on in NY, Chi and SF but what if the KBF were to have a "Bourbon Fest" in Louisville and/or Lexington at the same time the KBF is held in Bardstown.

But I suppsoe they would say they do that in April and it's called The Sampler.

I have never been to any of the Whisk(e)y Fest that Whisky Magazine puts on in NY, Chi and SF but what if the KBF were to have a "Bourbon Fest" in Louisville and/or Lexington at the same time the KBF is held in Bardstown.

But I suppsoe they would say they do that in April and it's called The Sampler.

Just to clarify: That would be Malt Advocate magazine that hosts WhiskyFest in those three cities, not Whisky magazine.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Thanks John, sorry about that.

An event along the lines of WhiskyFest or WhiskyLive (the WHISKY Magazine version) should be the centerpiece of the Kentucky Bourbon Festival. And it should be all American-made whiskey, regardless of where or by whom it's made, so long as it's made in the USA. That's really the bottom line. Otherwise it's just not the American whiskey festival, which is what it should be.

I believe an event could be created in Louisville that would crush the KBF within a few years if some suitable entity would organize such a thing.

I definitely noticed the lack of events aimed at those who truly care about the craft the few times I have visited before. Nonetheless I am beyond excited to be in attendance again this year :) Alas I will not be at the famed Best Western, but staying with a friend in Louisville. However, if the Gaz-bo is open I would love to stop by with a favorite bottling. This is a wonderful group and I have learned more from each of you than I have ever taken in at Bourbon Fest in total.

(still looking forward to my first time off all year :) )

However, if the Gaz-bo is open I would love to stop by with a favorite bottling.

I think you can count on the Gazebo being open and the attendees being welcoming.

It will be great to raise a glass with you again, Jessica!

However, if the Gaz-bo is open I would love to stop by with a favorite bottling. This is a wonderful group and I have learned more from each of you than I have ever taken in at Bourbon Fest in total.

(still looking forward to my first time off all year :) )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.