$300 Burning a Hole in My Pocket

IowaJeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

We had a marketing challenge at my work and the reward is $300. From the beginning I vowed that if I succeeded I would use my $300 on something superfluous. Far be it from me to call bourbon superfluous, but I do technically have plenty (15 bottles or so). Anyway, I don't regularly spend $300 on whiskey at once. Occasionally I might splurge and buy a $50-75 bottle, but thats about the max. So . . . .

Should I get one or two expensive bottles (PVW20, 23, Parker's Heritage (the 27yr was barreled in my birth year), etc) or spread it out a bit? I need to plan my strategy out beforehand so I don't make any panic purchases. :grin: Thoughts? Suggestions?

Kid in a Candy Store

Well, here's some questions. How often do you have that kind of money burning a hole in your pocket? How often do you or would you pick up a high end bottle of bourbon at $60+? If you typically don't have the cash to spend on higher end offerings, then now is the time to do so. If not, then go for more reasonable stuff and stock up the bourbon bunker. Go for things you've wanted to pick but haven't. Bottom line, whatever you get is more than you have now. :rolleyes:

Skip the pappy 20 or 23 for that matter. Overpriced and boring.

Spread it out would be my rec, although you can't go wrong with any of the PHCs.

If it were me, I'd likely focus on a couple three more expensive bottles that I normally couldn't justify purchasing. If you went for quantity, you'd just be getting stuff that you wouldn't have a problem buying normally and could do any time.

Shoot for the stars and get some stuff that will truly be memorable for years to come.

Skip the pappy 20 or 23 for that matter. Overpriced and boring.

Spread it out would be my rec, although you can't go wrong with any of the PHCs.

If you are spending it on bourbon, I would spend most of it in the $50-100 price range. Pick up some pappy 15, some BATC, some PHC, and then blow the rest on $30 bourbons.

If I had $300, here is how I would spend it:

• GTS - $75
  • Pappy 15 - $50
  • WLW- $75
  • WL Weller 12- $30
  • Wild Turkey Rare Breed - $40
  • Evan Williams SB - $30

It is tough.. but you should try and do whatever possible to hold onto it for a few more months. The new BTAC, OFBB, PHC, and others will be released soon.

Save $50 more and get an ORVW 23. Then buy the Parker's too, since the birthyear thing is a good excuse in and of itself. Take full advantage of your available rationalizations.

I love being able to spend other people's money so here is what I would do with found money........

1 bottle Parker's Heritage 27 - Great whiskey (the only bourbon my wife likes so far) and with the bottling/birth year thing it's a have to buy

Wait for this year's Parker's release and if as good as I expect - BUY IT. If it seems weak for the price go with the 2010 BTAC Stagg and WLW if they are up to snuff.

Looking at this I'm really surprised at my recommendations because I am not normally a big Heaven Hill fan, but the 27 year really impresses me as far as bang for high price buck spirits.

Tom

If you are spending it on bourbon, I would spend most of it in the $50-100 price range. Pick up some pappy 15, some BATC, some PHC, and then blow the rest on $30 bourbons.

If I had $300, here is how I would spend it:

• GTS - $75
  • Pappy 15 - $50
  • WLW- $75
  • WL Weller 12- $30
  • Wild Turkey Rare Breed - $40
  • Evan Williams SB - $30

Ben makes sense and I would do the same.

I was more or less in a similar situation a few weeks back. On my way home via Kentucky I was given about an hour in Liquor Barn in Louisville Town Center. My first move was to go for the bigguns and I grabbed a bunch of large 1.75l bottles of stuff I cannot find or is very hard to find in Florida. Then after reflection I decided to instead go for the many small batch and single barrel bottles they had. My logic is that the small batch or single bottle may not be obtainable even in Kentucky down the road whereas the larger bottles representing everyday product almost certainly will be. As it turned out I got my cake and ate it too as I was able to pick up a bunch of the larger bottles down the road later on. So, my advice, go for some of the bottles that just may not be here 10 years down the road. I am dying th try the Hancock Reserve that is special to Liquor Barn.....

Since you already have a decent selection I would go for some special juice with the found money.

I would be looking for a variety of exceptional tastes - My personal choice would be some combination of these depending on what's available; (your milage may vary)

WLW

Handy

the first release or Golden PH

Pappy 15

4R SB OBSK barrel strength

WTKS (if you can find an older one '03-'05)

Some new stuff coming up that will be worth considering if you like the previous versions - 4R Small Batch LE, single barrel Knob Creek and the two new Parkers Heritage releases.

All good suggestions. I might have to make a dry run to my favorite liquor store and see what is available. Waiting until the BTAC's come out is not a bad idea. I'm thinking I'll get one $100+ bottle if I can find one worth and then spread the rest out on bottles that are on the fringe of my usual price range. Buying something I would normally buy if I was getting low runs against my superfluous mission statement. Buying regular BT or WTRB, while both great, would be like buying eggs or milk--its just a necessity.

I also vote for the PHC 27 I had a pour of this in Houston. This is good stuff and I know where you can get a bottle of it with in driving distance of you.

I also vote for the PHC 27 I had a pour of this in Houston. This is good stuff and I know where you can get a bottle of it with in driving distance of you.

This was recently my situation all be it with $50 less. In my case since I am a complete noob to bourbon I bought the stuff on the mid to bottom shelf, $25 and under. I was looking for quantity of quality if you will. I wanted to be able to taste and try as many different kinds as possible.

Now that being said, if I had another $250 I would buy in the $40 to $60 dollar range to see if a higher price equals a better product, although sometimes I suspect not.

Do tell! I'm leaning toward getting that one b/c a) I've heard good things; and B) It's highly unlikely anything (American) will be available in the future that is barreled in my birth year, so there's some novelty.

I sent you a PM on the whereabouts of said bottle.

My last $300 or so was spent on the following:

WLW 09

ER17 09

Lot B

Weller Ant

RVW 10

Temp Rye

I'm new to the board so I bought based on reviews I've read. Haven't tried them all yet bet extremely excited to do so!

My last $300 or so was spent on the following:

WLW 09

ER17 09

Lot B

Weller Ant

RVW 10

Temp Rye

I'm new to the board so I bought based on reviews I've read. Haven't tried them all yet bet extremely excited to do so!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.