Things tour guides say - Jack Daniels

wadewood
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

See this thread first - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14601

At Jack Daniels, tour guide said:

-Jack Daniels Green label only comes from the lowest row of barrels in warehouse.

-Federal regulations prevent them from selling the Silver select 100 proof version here in the US, that's why it is export and duty free only.

-the proof was cut from 90 proof to 86 and then to 80 because that is what proof consumers like to drink it at. They cut it with their limestone water which is better for the whiskey than the water you would use to cut it from 90 to 80, so product is better.

-they do sell a 90 proof version at their gift ship.

-Federal regulations prevent them from selling the Silver select 100 proof version here in the US, that's why it is export and duty free only.

In the words of Scooby Doo, "Arrrrooo?"

I wonder what federal regulations those would be. Unless they're doing something hinky with the SS, I don't see why they couldn't sell it in the U.S.

In the words of Scooby Doo, "Arrrrooo?"

I wonder what federal regulations those would be. Unless they're doing something hinky with the SS, I don't see why they couldn't see it in the U.S.

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Yeah, what he said.

Or maybe they don't want to sell it in the grand old USA.

I think it's amusing how all the tour guides try to make their particular distillery sound like a small family owned business. They ALL do it!!

During my tour of JD in 2005, the tour guide was comparing JD to bourbon and said he didn't even like to use the "B" word. I quickly asked him what he thought of Woodford Reserve and received a dirty look instead of a reply. The guide quickly changed the subject and moved on!

Thomas

• 3 months later...

We visited a few more times over years and I noticed the tour became more of a show, entering but a show nonetheless. The high point of one of my visits was having my three year old son locked up in the old jail. He thought it was fun until the door clanged shut.

During my tour of JD in 2005, the tour guide was comparing JD to bourbon and said he didn't even like to use the "B" word. I quickly asked him what he thought of Woodford Reserve and received a dirty look instead of a reply. The guide quickly changed the subject and moved on!

Thomas

Busted!!! :lol:

Your telling me, a couple of decades back a guide at Jack Daniels spun around and demanded to know what distillery I worked for.

• 3 months later...
It is considered bad taste for guests to exhibit any knowledge on a distillery tour. :)

I realize you're probably being sarcastic but I actually agree with this statement. I always hate when I'm running a bourbon tasting and some yokel comes up trying to talk about whiskey like he knows more than me :rolleyes:

I don't believe it is appropriate to abuse anyone, particularly so for a vendor who invites the public in for a sales pitch and then rudely criticizes a potential customer who asks a polite question about the product.

I always hate when I'm running a bourbon tasting and some yokel comes up trying to talk about whiskey like he knows more than me :rolleyes:

I guess the difference is when most SB members correct some wrong statement given by a tour guide (or maybe whisper to the person standing next to us), we are the ones that actually know more.

The question I asked was how many gallons of whisky a day could their still make. He was showing us the still at the time.

Asking a question and receiving a rude answer is different from pointing out an error in someone's presentation, which is the part of this conversation to which my remarks were directed. And I also had my tongue at least partially in my cheek.

All of us who try to share what we've learned have had to endure people who take a bit too much pleasure in catching -- and illuminating -- our inevitable mistakes. It happens to me here daily. You know who you are. I'm pretty much at peace with it because I believe most people see it for exactly what it is.

It took a couple of hours to figure out what may have happened. A gentle older lady in our group was on her first distillery tour. In response to something the guide said she asked how many bottles they made a day. His evasive answer cased me to chuckle slightly and when we got to the still I asked how many gallons the thing could crank out in a day. I was just curious but that's when he stopped the tour, got in my face and demanded to know which distillery I worked for. Without pausing I asked him if it was Brown-Forman's corporate policy to insult the guests touring this place. My wife dug her elbow into my ribs, handed the guy one of my business cards, and he went off sputtering to hand my card to an older fellow who took over the tour. The second guy launched into a series of home spun stories and adroitly maneuvered me to the front of the group and kept an eye on me for the rest of the tour. I was more amused than miffed over the whole thing. Apparently the myth of a small town local little distillery was to be maintained and no contrary impressions would be allowed.

I thought I was behaving myself during my last Jack Daniel's tour, but the guide got the idea that I was from Brown-Forman and that I was checking up on him. He said it jokingly, but he kept looking at me, and he made a point of mentioning the parent company several times during the rest of the tour.

I had said I was from Louisville during the introductions, when he asks where everyone is from, and I may have made the innocent comment that I knew where the barrels were made. And I was taking notes.

But I didn't correct anything he said, and I didn't ask pointed questions.

Whether giving a tour or going on a tour, my response to stated inaccuracies is directly tied to the way in which they are presented. If someone is being an arrogant prick with information that is clearly wrong, I am probably going to call them out. If its an honest mistake/misunderstanding/misconception then I will probably just smile and nod my head.

Interrupting a tour guide at Jack Daniel's or, for that matter, Maker's Mark or most of the distilleries, is similar to interrupting an actor during a play. It's a performance.

As for the capacity of the stills at Daniel's, I guess you didn't notice that's it's painted on the side of each one in six-inch high letters, as it is at most distilleries. Every distillery I've ever been in has had big capacity signs on everything.

I didn't interrupt the fellow nor did I ask about capacity, he had covered that, then paused looking at our group when I asked what was it's daily output. A perfectly reasonable question with no untoward intent meant or implied.

If I ever take the JD tour, I'll ask why the whiskey is so damn weak and why does it taste like bananas?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.