What Beer Are You Drinking Fall 2010

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm finally having Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. It seems like a very mellow, creamy porter. It's just delicious. It seems like the porter bitterness is very muted. Is it a porter?

I also enjoyed a six pack of Budweiser American Ale this last week or so. It's a very good value.

I'm finally having Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. It seems like a very mellow, creamy porter. It's just delicious. It seems like the porter bitterness is very muted. Is it a porter?

I also enjoyed a six pack of Budweiser American Ale this last week or so. It's a very good value.

It's a stout, not a porter.

Enjoying a Sam Adams Winter Lager from the Sam Adams "Winter Classics" mixed case that I picked up at Costco. I want to give a big shout-out to SA for dumping the Cranberry Lambic from this collection, and replacing it with their Chocolate Bock. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I just can't stand the Cranberry Lambic, and I've really liked the Chocolate Bock that I've had. I'll hang on to the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwigs Ale until Christmas. Love the labels. The beer's pretty good, too. I think I'll go to the White Ale next, while listening to LSU on the radio...

Belhaven Stout, 7% ABV, a new import to Ontario but available in parts of the States for a while. Big sweetish roasted-flavour stout, a relic of the 1800's. It's interesting to compare it to Guinness FES. I'd say the Belhaven is similar but intended to have a "fresh" (unaged) quality; the FES is intended on the other hand to deliver the palate a stout shipped to far parts would have acquired in the 1800's (when pasteurisation and refrigeration were unknown).

Gary

Just finished my run on a coolish day, and am thoroughly enjoying my reward. Innis & Gunn Rum Cask. Beautiful dark gold reddish color. Like a jewel. A touch sweet, but enough spiciness to offset. Creamy and nice. Really, really good.

Just finished some Winter Warmers

21st Amendment - Fireside Chat

Full Sail - Wassail

Just returned from the local cigar store's yearly Customer Appreciation event, and I'm smoked out. So, this Terrapin "Moo-Hoo" Chocolate Milk Stout is cooling the pipes quite nicely. This beer is a dessert. Terrapin continues to put out very good beers.

BTW, picked up several singles, and a box of CAO La Traviata Maduro Radiantes. Won a hat and t-shirt in the raffle. Another tee that won't fit in an overly stuffed t-shirt drawer, should make mrssmokinjoe very happy....:o

Had a few beers recently at Church Key in D.C. Very good beer bar, probably the best I've ever been to. Grapefruity double IPAs in a flight with weird Belgian and German specialties. Only in America.

Gary

It seems that I am on a major stout kick right now so I tried last night Lancaster Milk Stout. I enjoyed it very much. I also had Brooklyns Black Chocolate Stout recently and it was excellent. Today I am going to revisit Smiths Oatmeal and see if I love it as much as I did last time.

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout last night. Great stuff but strong as hell at 9% alcohol. I'm definitely feeling it today, though I'm sure the Teacher's Highland Cream didn't help.

Sitting back on a gorgeous Fall day, listening to the Falcons, with a Guinness FES. I continue to really enjoy this beer. Many thanks to Gary for pointing this one out, here. I don't know if I have ever had a beer with a chunkier head than this FES. Almost, meringue-like. Same color, too. Delicious!

I picked up a 12-pack of bottled Sam Adams seasonals, and I must say I'm enjoying all of them (haven't tried the chocolate bock yet -- I loves me some chocolate, but not sure I want it in beer:skep:), including the white ale, of which I was hesitant since I'm not generally keen of the Euro view on spices in beer.

The holiday porter, Old Fezziwig, and winter ale are all such that I will look for them solo during the rest of the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Stout-a-palooza continues. I've been buying six packs so I can really get to know each one. I just had a Sierra Nevada Stout. It was stronger than the others (maybe more stout is the way to say it) and the taste of hops came through. Before that was Samuel Adams Cream Stout. It was very good. Like it is with Bourbon, it is dificult to rank one stout as better than another for me and I pick up different flavors at different times. It seems like splitting hairs.

I picked up a 12-pack of bottled Sam Adams seasonals, and I must say I'm enjoying all of them (haven't tried the chocolate bock yet -- I loves me some chocolate, but not sure I want it in beer:skep:), including the white ale, of which I was hesitant since I'm not generally keen of the Euro view on spices in beer.

The holiday porter, Old Fezziwig, and winter ale are all such that I will look for them solo during the rest of the winter.

I picked up the Sam Adams holiday case which has six beers (four of each) and have slowly been working my way through them. The Winter Lager is quite nice, as was the White Ale. I had the Chocolate Bock last night and was surprised by the intensity of the chocolate flavor. I enjoyed it but it's definitely not for everyone.

I finished off some Fresh Hop Great Divide, and also some Great Lakes Burning River, both of these APAs

The Burning River is fantastic...

Sammy choco bock rocks. Glad to see it in the variety pack, as opposed to it being a bi-annual release (it used to alternate annually with Utopias). Love the Fezziwig and Holiday Porter as well.

Current pour; Lagunitas 'Brown Shuggah'. Cross between a brown ale and a barleywine. Very limited, and very good. Get some.

Sammy choco bock rocks. Glad to see it in the variety pack, as opposed to it being a bi-annual release (it used to alternate annually with Utopias). Love the Fezziwig and Holiday Porter as well.

I'm digging all of those as well myself, especially the Holiday Porter. Also had a Moose Drool Brown Ale from Montana last night which was quite nice, though my thinking was clouded by that time after a few heavy pours of Clontarf Single Malt Irish Whiskey. But hey, it all burned clean and I feel fresh as a daisy this morning so it all must have been good!:grin:

Oh dear god I just had some Founders Backwoods Bastard... sweet lord this beer is fantastic...

backwood.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.