This month at the LCBO

Megawatt
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The following whiskies are on sale province-wide:

Bowmore 12 ($5 off)

Highland Park 12 ($5 off)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask ($4 off)

Forty Creek Double Barrel Reserve ($5 off)

Century Reserve 15 years + ($3 off)

There are other deals as well but these are the best I noticed.

• 4 weeks later...

Amrut peated 46% just came in to my area for $68. I will probably pick this one up as I'm very curious and I'm a peaty kind of guy. Anyone have an opinion on this puppy?

Amrut peated 46% just came in to my area for $68. I will probably pick this one up as I'm very curious and I'm a peaty kind of guy. Anyone have an opinion on this puppy?

No, but if you want peat you should track down a bottle of Kilchoman for $34.95. It is too much peat for me, honestly.

I've only heard good things about Amrut. I'll probably go for their unpeated version for $50 when it comes out. The standard version uses Indian barley whereas the peated version uses imported barley from Scotland.

Thanks for the Kilchoman heads up!

• 2 months later...
The LCBO has $6 off the 1.14L JWB 12 at $58.95. Good solid everyday pour at a decent price.

Right, that deal is for this week only. Last week they had Glenfiddich Solera Reserve at $10 off. Great deal but I passed since there are too many others I want to try. I'll probably pass on the Johnnie Black for the same reason. The Robert Burns Single Malt is coming back for $39.95, so I'll probably buy one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a new addition at the LCBO... Bowmore 10 Tempest Cask Strength Batch 2 for $73. Anyone had this? It looks tempting....

Sales are going in opposite directions at the LCBO...:rolleyes:

150. CHIVAS REGAL 12 YEAR OLD

United Kingdom | The Chivas & Glenlivet Group

LCBO 7617 | 750 mL

WAS: $ 36.95 | NOW: $ 40.95 | SAVE: $ 2.00

I know why the misprint but it was funny to see anyway. It was selling last week at $36.95 on sale ($6 off) and I did grab one (decent everyday pour and all).

BTW - Smokehead is $5 off as well. At $55 I'm curious but when I consider that it's probably a 7- 8yr old Ardbeg or Caol Ila, my hand is tending more towards my favorite Lap QC at $64 or even the Peat Monster at $62. Anyone try this one?

BTW - Smokehead is $5 off as well. At $55 I'm curious but when I consider that it's probably a 7- 8yr old Ardbeg or Caol Ila, my hand is tending more towards my favorite Lap QC at $64 or even the Peat Monster at $62. Anyone try this one?

I'm tempted by Smokehead, based on some good reviews. However my brother, who is a big Quarter Cask fan, tried it and said it wasn't to his liking. He said it seemed thin compared to Quarter Cask.

I have a open bottle of Smokehead. For the record, I'm not a fan of

Scotch (but do find some to work in a pinch) and this seems aptly

named - it tastes "smokey" to me. My wife recently tried it and seems

to enjoy it. She loves Ardbeg Corryvreckan and doesn't mind the Black

Grouse. Among her dislikes - Smokehead 18 year Extra Black, CB Peat

Monster, and Ardbeg Supernova, if that is any indicator.

I was able to sample some of the above at using Master of Malt's Drinks

by the Dram - 3cl sample sized bottles. They do ship to USA but I didn't

see Canada listed on their delivery page. It's a great way to "try before

you buy".

He said it seemed thin compared to Quarter Cask.

If that's the case then I'll pass. The QC is one of my favorites an dI'll spend the extra bucks to get it. I'm really looking for a smoke and peat bomb.

I was able to sample some of the above at using Master of Malt's Drinks

by the Dram

- 3cl sample sized bottles. They do ship to USA but I didn't

see Canada listed on their delivery page. It's a great way to "try before

you buy".

Thanks for the heads-up. I doubt the LCBO allows any competition but it's worth a gander. Cheers!

If that's the case then I'll pass. The QC is one of my favorites an dI'll spend the extra bucks to get it. I'm really looking for a smoke and peat bomb.

There's more to life than smoke and peat, you know ;). But you might like to know that Bruichladdich Port Charlotte multi-vintage is coming to Ontario. 40ppm :hot:

There's more to life than smoke and peat, you know ;).

Yes, but not much more :grin: As an ex-smoker, that's the only way I can really get my fix :o .

Picked up a $5 off a 3 x 50 ml taster (paid $20) of EL Dorado Demarara rum 12, 15, and 21 yrs. Had the 15 yr last night and it was really rather good. Nice wood and bourbony notes. However the last few sips started getting a bit too sweet for me. Still nice though.

I bought it too and must say IMO that the 15 is the driest of the group. The 12 and 21 year versions are richer and preferable, but that's my taste. To me they are liqueur rums, suitable for after dinner and a cigar. The 21 is quite amazing and I may get a standard-size bottle.

Gary

I bought it too and must say IMO that the 15 is the driest of the group. The 12 and 21 year versions are richer and preferable, but that's my taste. To me they are liqueur rums, suitable for after dinner and a cigar. The 21 is quite amazing and I may get a standard-size bottle.

Gary

I'm just beginning to look at the rums. What do you suggest I try? I don't know that I want a "liqueur" rum. I'm looking for wood, complexity and not too sweet.

I bought the El Dorado sampler, too, and like Gary enjoy the 12 over the 15. I have yet to crack the 21, though. In any case, it's a nice opportunity to try some of the range at an affordable price.

I'm looking for wood, complexity and not too sweet.

Well, as for your tastes, I think the El Dorado suite fits the bill nicely. That said, while they are not cloying, they are still rum and therefore fairly sweet.

I haven't tried the Smokehead, but I have enjoyed the Peat Monster quite a bit. It is very different from the Laphroaig QC, however, despite the fact that the Peat Monster contains some Laphroaig in the vatting. I would call it a much more "refined" and "sophisticated" peated malt, which is not to everyone's liking. In fact, it took some time to grow on me. If you're really looking for a "smoke and peat bomb", though, have you given any thought to Big Peat, which is a vatting of Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila, and the sorely missed Port Ellen? It's pretty great stuff.

I bought the El Dorado sampler, too, and like Gary enjoy the 12 over the 15. I have yet to crack the 21, though. In any case, it's a nice opportunity to try some of the range at an affordable price.

Well, as for your tastes, I think the El Dorado suite fits the bill nicely. That said, while they are not cloying, they are still rum and therefore fairly sweet.

I haven't tried the Smokehead, but I have enjoyed the Peat Monster quite a bit. It is very different from the Laphroaig QC, however, despite the fact that the Peat Monster contains some Laphroaig in the vatting. I would call it a much more "refined" and "sophisticated" peated malt, which is not to everyone's liking. In fact, it took some time to grow on me. If you're really looking for a "smoke and peat bomb", though, have you given any thought to Big Peat, which is a vatting of Ardbeg, Bowmore, Caol Ila, and the sorely missed Port Ellen? It's pretty great stuff.

I haven't seen the Big Peat around my parts, but I've wanted to try it no doubt. Indeed, the Peat Monster was quite nice when I had a bottle a few months back. I may revisit it. I've preferred the LQC over it since they share the same price-point, a few bucks cheaper and I'd bite again me thinks...

I believe a fruited addition of some kind, that and/or a sweetening, is added to El Dorado or at least the well-aged ones. I could be wrong, but thought I read that some years ago. To me they have a "house" character and are extremely good. You can taste the pot still element (an oily or almost rubbery note) but wreathed in a sophisticated body.

For something drier, I would go with Appleton. There are about 5 available here, I'd spend the most your budget allows. These have good pot still character but are well aged with a distinctive dryish woody note. Very traditional rum but not as lush and "exotic" as El Dorado's IMO.

Gary

James, you might be interested to know that Amrut Fusion is arriving in Ontario. Jim Murray gave it a whopping 97 points, if that means anything to you. It is a vatting of their peated and unpeated malts, I believe, bottled at 50% alc/vol.

James, you might be interested to know that Amrut Fusion is arriving in Ontario. Jim Murray gave it a whopping 97 points, if that means anything to you. It is a vatting of their peated and unpeated malts, I believe, bottled at 50% alc/vol.

Giddyup! I'll be on it like flies on you know what :grin:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.