Kenny May Wants His Hooch to Go Legit, But Will Alabama License a Moonshine?

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you have a chance to grab a copy of today's (12/20) Wall Street Journal, do so and read the story "Kenny May Wants His Hooch to Go Legit, But Will Alabama License a Moonshine?"

Up until his death in 1990, Kenny's dad, Clyde May, made 6,000 to 8,000 gallons of rye-based moonshine whiskey a year in Alabama's Bullock County. Kelly wants to legally recreate and sell Clyde's special "Christmas Whiskey," which was "aged for as long as a year in charred, white-oak barrels that gave it a rich amber color and allowed the old master moonshiner to find just the right balance between the grain's sweetness and the wood's dry vanilla and caramel flavors."

If he gets permission from the state, Kenny will have an unnamed Kentucky distiller make the first batches while he builds a legal distillery in Alabama.

--Chuck Cowdery

Buried in the middle of that article is a statement (written by Robt. Greenberger of the WSJ, not a quote from Kenny May): "Whiskey is only as good as the water used to make it." While some distillers hold that philosophy it is apparent to me that Brown-Forman does not. My resources indicate they "purify" Louisville City water.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this article Chuck. For those of us who follow spirits in general and not just bourbon there is an interesting article in today's WSJ on the vodka business and the failed Sudsvall brand from Seagram. (B-F might be glad to know I drink one of their vodkas.)

Greg

In defense of Brown-Forman, Louisville's municipal water supply comes from an aquifer beneath the city and not, as one might suspect, from the Ohio River. It may be "city water," but it is good, Kentucky limestone city water.

--Chuck Cowdery

Sorry Chuck, the Louisville Water Co. sucks its supply from the beautiful Ohio River, about 500 yards from my office at the bottom of Zorn Avenue. They must have a hell of a lab at the LWC cause the water here tastes pretty good. Many older buildings in downtown Louisville do use the underground water for cooling. So I think BF uses "city"(or river) water for its whiskey. What do you think Mike?

Julian

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I think you are right Julian, but I don't know for sure. I am sure there were deep wells at the Early Times distillery at one time, but if they are still being used, I would be surprised.

Mike Veach

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.