Dewars question

nascarillustrate
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi,

Was looking for some help identifying the age of an unopened 500ml bottle of Dewars White Label? This was given to me back in 1990 and the ATF tag that is still intact read NY-I-68, so not knowing anything about it, I assumed it was from 1968, same year I was born.

I'm looking to sell it on Ebay soon as I have no real need for it and I was looking for some info to help accurately describe it. That's how I found this website. A little research has shown that it may be only as old as the early '80's, but you guys are the experts.

Hopefully I uploaded the pictures okay

Thanks

Daryl

www.nascarillustrated.com

post-6402-14489816988762_thumb.jpg

post-6402-14489816988977_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

It shows an 80 and then 360 or 300, so I guess it's 1980.

That helps a lot.

Now is it drinkable? Not that I'm going too, just fyi.

Thanks

Daryl

I would throw it on E-bay and go ahead and put about a $5,000 price-tag on it . That way if someone is dumb enough to buy it, you will have the cash to post bail for illegally selling alcohol without a license and illegally shipping across state lines. That is unless you have a license. You do have a license don't you? What am I saying of course you do.

Great questions and thanks for stopping by!

You just couldn't help yourself. :lol:

I would've done the same thing had I not just had the same problem with the exact bottle a few weeks ago. Notice I did not come here asking questions about scotch on a bourbon forum. At least I don't think I did...

Notice I did not come here asking questions about scotch on a bourbon forum. At least I don't think I did...

You just couldn't help yourself. :lol:

I would've done the same thing had I not just had the same problem with the exact bottle a few weeks ago. Notice I did not come here asking questions about scotch on a bourbon forum. At least I don't think I did...

Don! How rude! Shame on you!

Daryl, let me be the first to welcome you to straightbourbon.com. I've no doubt that you're here to stay, that in the next day or so we'll be reading your introductory post in the New to Straightbourbon forum, where you'll be professing your love for the American whiskey to which this board is devoted. We look forward to your tasting notes, hearing about your "dusty" hunting adventures, and your participation in the "Gazebo" (our chat room). You being a NASCAR fan, I can't believe otherwise, given the origin of the sport being to find a Day Job for the souped-up flathead Fords used to bring fresh corn whiskey to market. It's one of the great legends of American History, right up there with the Pony Express, the Shootout at the OK Corral, and a balanced Federal budget.

You've come to the right place. We're one big happy family here, sharing our buying and drinking experiences, giving each other moral support (which includes a lot of good-natured joshing). Participation here will give you a warm, fuzzy feeling you won't get anywhere else, except from inside a bottle of oxycodone.

I don't want to believe you came here for the sole purpose of getting a free appraisal in the pursuit of a few quick bucks, so please, say it ain't so. Huggles, my pet python, died last night and I'm not sure I could bear to hear otherwise right now.

Either way, I note that no one has yet provided you with said appraisal. Being one who will blithely go where others fear to tread (and having the stinky sneakers to prove it), I'll take a stab at it.

In 1980, Dewars WL was the same cheap-ass Scotch blend that it is today. The single malt component of it may include product from some now-defunct distilleries (destroyed by orc armies sent forth by the Dark Lord Diageo), but it's mostly grain whiskey, which is the same thing now as it was thirty years ago. So I doubt it's worth any more than the current product, or about $14-15 for a 500ml bottle.

On the Patented Cracker Magic Bean Scale, it's worth OneandahalfMagicBeans.jpg. Don't laugh; if someone offers you that, take it. The half bean won't amount to much, but the whole one could grow into almost anything. An SI swimsuit model. A giant cornstalk. An actual Compassionate Conservative (could fetch a nice sum on eBay, given the incredible rarity).

But don't let me discourage you; I'm occasionally wrong (on June 3rd, 1997, I guessed it would rain all day, and left my sunglasses home - I was squinting all afternoon). After all, some people will buy anything. Snake oil. Pet Rocks. WMDs in Saddam Hussein's arsenal.

So good luck with it, and you come back now, you hear!

I was going to recommend 2 magic beans as I hate dealing in fractions.

This is a cool site for sure!!!

Love getting initiated by a bunch of liquored up bourbon drinkers. I thank you all for your help and I'll be sure to stick around.

Funny how tonight I was going to ask the question of what it might be worth, but I certainly won't now, haha. Not that I thought Dewars would be worth much.

It goes on Epain tonight for $10, but I think I like the suggestion of $5,000. Hey I deal with NASCAR diecast and I've seen some whacked out numbers on generic junk.

NASCAR and booze, what a great combination. I really drink Budweiser too!!

I'll keep you posted on how it sells and if doesn't I'll throw it in the minivan and see what that does.

Thanks

Hey, you do custom die-cast, huh?

How much for a replica of a 1990 Michael Waltrip Pontiac from the Busch race at Bristol?

Good find. I was never able to get that from my friends mother-in-law. I think I offered her 40 or 50 bucks one night for both of them.

Although, she's still my friends mother-in-law...

Hey, you do custom die-cast, huh?

How much for a replica of a 1990 Michael Waltrip Pontiac from the Busch race at Bristol?

I appreciate those who checked out the website. Not too long ago I sold my 1990 Waltrip Country Time on ebay. Is that the one? Sometimes sponsors jumped around so not sure if it was from Bristol? If you want to spend a few $$$ I know some people who might build one for you who are much better than me. Presently I'm not building other than just a few that are on the bench to be finished. Drop me a line though.

Daryl

Bud Light...don't make me sick.

It's Bud or nothing baby.

Sorry to hear about Huggle's. I had a fish die this morning, I feel your pain.

If I could find a Superbird of any kind, I want to be buried in it.

My car of choice is a Boss 302 or the Boss 429. I'm a 'Stang man.

Heck I'm a muscle car guy through and through.

This is a cool site for sure!!!

Love getting initiated by a bunch of liquored up bourbon drinkers. I thank you all for your help and I'll be sure to stick around.

Funny how tonight I was going to ask the question of what it might be worth, but I certainly won't now, haha. Not that I thought Dewars would be worth much.

It goes on Epain tonight for $10, but I think I like the suggestion of $5,000. Hey I deal with NASCAR diecast and I've seen some whacked out numbers on generic junk.

NASCAR and booze, what a great combination. I really drink Budweiser too!!

I'll keep you posted on how it sells and if doesn't I'll throw it in the minivan and see what that does.

Thanks

You have passed the test. Saddle up partner. There are some good folks here. Hey you got a Jeff Gordon diecast? I need something to shoot at with my AK.

Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Sorry, no Jeff Gordon stuff. Any gordon diecast I buy I strip down and make good ole boy cars. Just to clarify, my Nascar fondness goes all the way back to the Junior Johnson and The Flock brothers, those kind of guys. The real men of stock car racing. Not sissy boys like today. although I'm a big Kyle Busch fan. Just cause he pisses people off and he's the most talented driver since Earnhardt, Waltrip, Bobbie, and Cale.

Man how did this thread become this, a simple cheap ole bottle booze and I'm telling my life's story :slappin:

I don't even drink hard liquor!

I appreciate those who checked out the website. Not too long ago I sold my 1990 Waltrip Country Time on ebay. Is that the one? Sometimes sponsors jumped around so not sure if it was from Bristol? If you want to spend a few $$$ I know some people who might build one for you who are much better than me. Presently I'm not building other than just a few that are on the bench to be finished. Drop me a line though.

Daryl

I figure that this would be an easy car for you to make. :grin:

Here's his car after the race:

BristolWreckWaltrip.jpg

And a clip of the wreck

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x101qy_michael-waltrip-1990-bristol-crash_sport

I don't want to spoil the fun (by all means, continue) but I have an actual blended scotch question.

I have heard, from some pretty reliable sources, that blended scotches tend to 'de-blend' after a few years. They don't become hazardous but they don't taste right either. Has anyone heard this and, more to the point, experienced it?

I don't want to spoil the fun (by all means, continue)

Okay.

I have heard, from some pretty reliable sources, that blended scotches tend to 'de-blend' after a few years.

What could that possibly mean? :skep:

They don't become hazardous but they don't taste right either.

I find most don't taste right when they're new.

Has anyone heard this and, more to the point, experienced it?

Never experienced it, but then, I don't buy blended Scotch.

But to play it safe, I guess Daryl should attach a "Shake Really Really Well Before Drinking" label to the bottle if he finds a buyer.

I don't want to spoil the fun (by all means, continue) but I have an actual blended scotch question.

I have heard, from some pretty reliable sources, that blended scotches tend to 'de-blend' after a few years. They don't become hazardous but they don't taste right either. Has anyone heard this and, more to the point, experienced it?

The bottle of Dewars White Label from 1969 tastes "fine". Although it's still Dewars White Label...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.