Garrison Brothers Introduces Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Hye1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since it's unlikely that anyone outside of Blanco and Gillespie Counties, Texas, will get a bottle of this not a lot needs to be said. But based on some tastes I've been privileged to enjoy I hope the people who do score bottles will open them and drink the whiskey, because it is quite good.

Friggin' Awesome!! Congratulations, Dan.

Friends, that's what they call "Walkin' the Walk".

:toast:

I have family in the Houston area, I'll have to see if they can score a bottle for me; looks interesting.

I know the original post says "working on since 2005", but isn't this release a 2008 vintage? I though I read somewhere that the first release will be a 2 yr old bourbon?:skep:

Can someone throw me a bone???

Thanks for the nice words ya'll! We'd love to host the next SB Get-together in Texas. I'm feeling guily that I don't have more to spare and want to try to make it up to ya'll.

Awesome news, I am very glad to see this is coming to fruition and cannot wait to taste some.... Is it safe to say some of our wonderful Texas members may have a bottle at the next get together? :grin:

They should price it lower to drive the buzz. If it was priced in the $30s, I would try to seek it out. At $75, I forget about it entirely, probably forever. When/if they ramp up production, the buzz won't be there due to the fact that most of us have already passed it by.

75$ for a 2 year old bottle of bourbon? That better be the best 2 year old bottle I've ever had!
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

They should price it lower to drive the buzz. If it was priced in the $30s, I would try to seek it out. At $75, I forget about it entirely, probably forever. When/if they ramp up production, the buzz won't be there due to the fact that most of us have already passed it by.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I'm not at all interested in a 2yr, let alone at $75.00.

At that rate the 4yo Jim Beam could go for $150.00.

Oscar, I presume you're assuming this 2yo bourbon tastes like a 2yo produced by the large distilleries in KY. It doesn't. It has been aged in smaller barrels in a different location and tastes nothing like one would expect a 2yo to taste like. Whether it's worth the suggested retail of $69.99 or whatever is up to the individual. If it tastes like what I "expect" it to taste like, I'm a buyer. If it doesn't, well.......

As for buzz, he doesn't need anymore at this time. It would only create an interest/demand that he can't supply right now. I wouldn't be surprised if it has already sold out today, the first day of retailing. Texans drink a lot of wheated bourbon. Just ask BT where their biggest market is by far.

Randy

I have no issue with the price. We have another producer of bourbon coming to market. It is a targeted tiny market.

Others will decide if it is worth the price point. Garrison Brothers, good luck. Get back in there and make more juice, sell it. Do it again, and again.

Put me in the skeptical column. Every under-aged bourbon I've tried (regardless of barrel size) lacks complexity and maturity.

I understand the economics facing the microdistillers but for the price they (have to) charge, the whiskey better be extraordinary. If it's basically just another bourbon, they can't hope to compete with the value proposition of the big boys. They've got to do something significantly different to survive / thrive.

I have no issue with the price. We have another producer of bourbon coming to market. It is a targeted tiny market.

Others will decide if it is worth the price point. Garrison Brothers, good luck. Get back in there and make more juice, sell it. Do it again, and again.

The challenge is not to produce a young whiskey that tastes like a fully-aged one--that's a fool's errand. The challenge is to produce a young whiskey that tastes good on its own terms. As I said here, Garrison Brothers and Lion's Pride are two that have done it. I'll throw Finger Lakes in there too.

I made the road trip today and I'm sipping some right now. The comment was made it better be the best 2 year old bourbon I've ever had. The answer to that is easy - Yes it is.

For $75, I expect much more than the best 2 year old bourbon ever made. Dan has created what we all wanted somebody to create. A true micro distilled product that was crafted from day 1 to be a Straight Bourbon. Lots of others have put out barely aged whiskeys recently, but not many have gone the route of stating we are going to sell Straight Bourbon. As Randy noted, this was aged in smaller barrels and aged much quicker than normal KY bourbon.

I know the profile Dan was shooting for. One key element I detected was a butterscotch profile. This definitely has that. It also has some layers that are expected in a complexed aged bourbon. I'll leave my tasting notes as that for now and will post back after I tried it on a few different occasions.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.