1971 S/W Old Fitz Prime 86.8 Proof

M14Shooter
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was lucky to come across a Oil Rip Van Winkle decanter from 1971.It still had its tax seal unbroken.This Bourbon was 7 years old when it was put in the decanter.

So I thought it was about time wake Rip up.Thirty-nine years of sleep is enough.

Color: Dark Gold

Nose: Butter Scotch,Hazel Nut ,Hint of Tropical Fruit,Hint of Vanilla,Hint of Carmel,Hint of Molasses and some spicy Oak .

Palate:Great Balance with Medium/Heavy Weight.It had a some what viscous and oily feel in the Mid-Palate.Lot of carmel and toffee a hint of pepper and a very buttery finish.The finish lasted a least 40 seconds.There was also a hint of Papaya in the Mid-Palate.

I was very impressed by this bourbon.This was my first taste of S/W made before 1992.

I feel very fortunate to be able to taste something from the Old S/W while Pappy still ran things.

Too bad Bourbon is not made like this any more.

Was very surprised how well this bourbon held up for being in a decanter for almost 40 years.The seal was tight and the cork did not fall apart too bad.

I will be on the hunt for more bourbon from this era.But I know the pickings will be slim.Thankfully the Bourbon Gods allowed me to sample this piece of Bourbon History.

If there are any members in the Boston area.I will share a pour with you.So you can taste a part of a by gone era .

Regards,Mike

I came across an Old Rip 7yr decanter from 1975 earlier this year. I've still got most of it, and It's excellent.

I must say, I agree with everything.

If there are any members in the Boston area.I will share a pour with you.So you can taste a part of a by gone era .

That's very generous. Wish I was up there 'cause I'd love to bring some newer SW over to compare to that super oldie.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.