UPC codes for mail-in rebates

Randy_Ricchi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I picked up (3) 1.75 liter bottles of Jim Beam Black and there was a mail-in rebate coupon with it.

They don't ask that you peel the UPC codes off and send them in, they just ask that you write the UPC code down for each of the 3 bottles.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something, because all the bottles have the same code, and a bottle I have that I bought several months ago also has the same code.

Sure, they also want the receipt and that shows that 3 bottles were purchased, but someone could find a receipt on the floor and use it to get a rebate even if they didn't buy any bottles just by looking at a bottle and writing the same code in 3 times.

That's why I'm asking if I'm missing something. If you screw up filling out the coupon, they don't ask you about it, they just don't send you your rebate.

Another question; the numbers I see on the UPC label are 80686 on the left side of the label and a little to the right are the numbers 03410. Does the UPC code include both sets of numbers, or just the first set?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

If they aren't asking for the actual UPC label you should be ok with just writing it down. Actually come to think of it I recently filled out a JB rebate for the white label and there was a space to write in the UPC, they didn't ask for actual piece of paper and everything was AOK.

On the other hand I just printed an EW rebate form and they ask of the actual label. They even tell you how to soak the bottle to get it off.

I guess moral of the story make sure to read it carefully as well as the fine print.

I picked up (3) 1.75 liter bottles of Jim Beam Black and there was a mail-in rebate coupon with it.

They don't ask that you peel the UPC codes off and send them in, they just ask that you write the UPC code down for each of the 3 bottles.

In the past I've had problems getting the UPC label off. Razor

blade, soaking in water - even then sometimes the label was

kinda scruffy looking. Maybe they got sick of receiving raggedy

looking UPCs and said what the hell - just write 'em down.

Sure, they also want the receipt and that shows that 3 bottles were purchased, but someone could find a receipt on the floor and use it to get a rebate even if they didn't buy any bottles just by looking at a bottle and writing the same code in 3 times.

My local liquor store keeps a batch of receipts for various amounts

made up so if you buy two different rebate bottles, they give you

a "spare' so you can redeem both. I s'pose a dishonest person could

grab the rebate tags and ask for a few extra receipts but it's not

something I would do.

Another question; the numbers I see on the UPC label are 80686 on the left side of the label and a little to the right are the numbers 03410. Does the UPC code include both sets of numbers, or just the first set?

I usually write down the entire 10 digit number beneath the bar code.

that usually works for me.

The UPC is the whole string. The first set of numbers designates the producer, you'll find it the same first string on nearly every beam product out there.

the second string denotes the product itself.

The very first outside number (which I am guessing is simply a 0) denotes what kind of a barcode it is. Different products have different barcode types- a great example would be pharmacutical drugs (which start with a 3) and coupons (which start with a 5).

The last number is a check digit, so that when a scanner runs its algorithm, it can make sure it is scanning the right product.

Now that I'm actually looking at bottles, a lot of the older ones that do bear UPCs don't seem to have a check digit. But a liter of beam black I have from 1986 bears the UPC 0 80686 01920. Hmm. I wonder if today's liters have the same code?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.