The science behind vodka preference

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100607122545.htm

"...They found that each vodka brand differed in its concentration of ethanol hydrates. Vodka drinkers could express preference for a particular structure. Drinkers actually may be perceiving this internal structure or structurability of vodka, rather than taste in a traditional sense..."

So, the oral feel of the vodka leads to preference...which may apply to other alcohol drinks as well that have definite flavors. The roundness of a bourbon may be related to such structures.

I read this and my BIG BIG problem is that any scientist worth a spit doesn't use "may" "could" in science papers without proof. they found so called structures and jumped to conclusions without any basic organoleptic testing. "here's my theory and why it's right" isn't science. it's sales.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100607122545.htm

"...They found that each vodka brand differed in its concentration of ethanol hydrates. Vodka drinkers could express preference for a particular structure. Drinkers actually may be perceiving this internal structure or structurability of vodka, rather than taste in a traditional sense..."

So, the oral feel of the vodka leads to preference...which may apply to other alcohol drinks as well that have definite flavors. The roundness of a bourbon may be related to such structures.

I read this and my BIG BIG problem is that any scientist worth a spit doesn't use "may" "could" in science papers without proof. they found so called structures and jumped to conclusions without any basic organoleptic testing. "here's my theory and why it's right" isn't science. it's sales.

Good points.....same with other buzz words, consensus, robust etc.

I love it.....I love it.

Why Brad, whatever do you mean! ;)

I have never considered vodka "tasteless" as it does have that grain spirit

essence.....not my favorite...but fine in a mixed drink.

• 2 months later...

Okay, as a bartender, I have truly discovered the "science" behind a customer's vodka selection:

1) If the customer is getting up there in years-- "Pour me the good stuff-- Absolut!"

2) If the customer is a cheap drunk-- "Well vodka is fine."

3) If the customer is a pretentious idiot (male or female) and they think they're maintaining an air of sophistication-- "Oh, and make that with Grey Goose." In this case, "that" usually refers to an Appletini, a Cosmopolitan, or some other fruity drink so laden with juice that you'll never know what vodka it was made with anyway, provided it didn't come from a plastic jug.

4) If the customer is an annoying, shrill New Yorker or New Jerseyan-- "Make dat wit Ketel One." In this case, "that" usually refers to a Martini, straight-up or dirty, shaken so vigorously that I fight the urge to ask them how our ice tastes.

So, in review, the primary factors influencing brand loyalty in vodka are:

* How pretty is the bottle?

* Is everyone else drinking it?

* How much does it cost? Because if it costs more, it MUST be better... RIGHT?!?

Why Brad, whatever do you mean! ;)

Knock it off fellas... I blocked the PRC forums so I wouldn't have to deal with this snarky shit. I don't want to be reading it here.

Knock it off fellas... I blocked the PRC forums so I wouldn't have to deal with this snarky shit. I don't want to be reading it here.

There are other forum tools that you can use to stay away from the garbage.

FYI, quoting the garbage in your reply defeats this for those of us who use these tools.

FYI, quoting the garbage in your reply defeats this for those of us who use these tools.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

and

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

I love the Ignore User tool. You know how you can sort the member list by number of posts?....how about the same to sort by users that have been ignored the most? I wonder who would top that list......

I love the Ignore User tool. You know how you can sort the member list by number of posts?....how about the same to sort by users that have been ignored the most? I wonder who would top that list......

I have always wanted the exact same thing.

It would really help new people coming to forums looking for advice get a sense of who they may be getting advice from.

totally crass opinion: vodka sucks :)

With the exception of some flavored Stolichnaya's I have had, I agree. Even regular Stoli is pretty good if you have it cold and straight.

Tim

With the exception of some flavored Stolichnaya's I have had, I agree. Even regular Stoli is pretty good if you have it cold and straight.

Tim

I might have been seen once or twice drinking Chambord Vodka mixed with Perrier :grin:

Vodka was the choice of a former companion so we kept it around the house although I'm sure no one saw me drink it because Vodka makes me invisible.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, for some considering Polish vodka,

http://www.khulsey.com/travel/poland_traditional_polish_vodka.html

"The general CONSENSUS is that the smoothest and purest tasting vodka is now distilled from either potatoes, spelt (Triticum spelta) or rye..."

Obviously then, Polish vodka drinkers have definite favorites and the results appear ROBUST with the top premium brands - Pan Tadeusz, Chopin, Luksusowa, Belvedere, Siwucha...these are all 80 proof.

Not sure how available Pan Tadeusz is in the U.S. ..I know there are fans

of Siwucha and the more commonly seen Belvedere and Chopin.

However, a truly ROBUST vodka would be:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7176658_types-smirnoff-vodka.html

"Smirnoff No. 57, sometimes referred to as Blue Label due to the color of the label, is the brand's most robust vodka available at 100 proof."

I have only had the less ROBUST red label.

Another ROBUST described vodka is Heavy Water

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52162976150

Not familiar with this one.

As this reviewer notes...."While Grey Goose was decent in its day, there is a general feeling/CONSENSUS among vodka reviewers and others who have not bought into the hype that Grey Goose has declined over the years."

Such words as CONSENSUS and ROBUST are very subjective and vague, though they are used to imply either authority or confidence, when it comes to taste profiles you will never find total agreement. I don't think the study could be described as meeting a vodka science CONSENSUS re taste factors, though it is interesting and may later prove ROBUST.

Well, me, myself and I have come to a consensus and determined that grass clipping vodka would simply not be robust enough for our refined taste.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.