Pappy Van Winkle clarification

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Oh no argument Christian, I thought he meant that to meet that year's allotted bottling, he used some non-SW bourbon, thus freeing up remaining SW for future bottling on its own. Perhaps the remaining SW in that year didn't meet the profile for bottling but the rest would as it aged for later years. Anyway that's as far as I can take it, I certainly hear the other side, it's just one of those things that we may never know.

But I do enjoy reading taste notes. It may or may not shed light, but I always enjoy reading them.

Gary

But I do enjoy reading taste notes. It may or may not shed light, but I always enjoy reading them.

Gary

I agree, we all should try to do more of them.

The only problem is my standard tasting note is the same for most everything...."I like that one" and the occasional ...."It was OK" (that's about as negative as I get.

Julian said in an earlier post that he bottled the 15,16 S-W a few years ago. He is now,in 2010, releasing that whiskey. He did the same last year.So there is no 17 or 18 yr bourbon in the current Pappy 15.

"Down the road " as I take it, only means when the supply of bottled S-W is gone.

That doesn't mean he hasn't or won't add the BT, but why? unless needed.

Gary, I definitely am not meaning to make an argument out of it, as we all know; if it is good it doesn't matter, but reading at face value what Julian said:

Originally Posted by jvanwinkle

Quote:

""Last year, we were short of SW barrels so we had to use some BT 1991 barrels. They were great & I could not tell the difference between them.

That's good news for down the road.

Julian""

Makes is sound to me like it was a mix from then and down the road, meaning since then. If there is something else you're seeing that I am not please feel free to point me to it.

Anyway, doesn't matter, as we all know Julian says things at different times and has himself acknowledged he doesn't always recall what was used for a certain bottling, so we'll likely never know. I was just trying to make the point that you shouldn't stockpile your bunker based on assumptions of provenance, buy based on what your pallette tells you.

Just to expound a bit on this....

I know another Bourbon Board and Large Retailer did a Single Barrel Pappy 15 couple years ago, and all the barrels pulled were BT barrels....

I'm not sayin'.... I'm just sayin'.....:grin:

I know another Bourbon Board and Large Retailer did a Single Barrel Pappy 15 couple years ago, and all the barrels pulled were BT barrels....

I'm not sayin'.... I'm just sayin'.....:grin:

Not that he has trouble selling it as is, but I think Julian has more than realized the extra demand if it is believed to be SW. Kind of hard to believe cases of stuff already bottled are just going to sit around when they could sold, filling his bank account with $$$.

I not sayin'.... I'm just saying' ..... :skep: :skep:

All the bottles of Lot B, Pappy 15, Pappy 20 that I own were purshased years ago when I KNEW what was inside the bottles. I knew also that this day would come when we wonder if SW is over, whether blending has begun, etc. etc. Perhaps one day down the line I'll buy a Pappy 15 and put it up against a SW Pappy 15 and see what happens. I have, in the past, compared new lotB with SW lotB and was amazed at the difference. A little more time should suffice to bring out the differences in the others.

Joe :usflag:

Not that he has trouble selling it as is, but I think Julian has more than realized the extra demand if it is believed to be SW. Kind of hard to believe cases of stuff already bottled are just going to sit around when they could sold, filling his bank account with $$$.

I not sayin'.... I'm just saying' ..... :skep: :skep:

My Van Winkle of choice has long been Lot B, at least that has been the case since Old Commonwealth stopped being available. To the best of my knowledge the current release of Lot B contains no SW whiskey, yet it is not only wonderful but it tastes like Lot B has always tasted. I haven't done a side to side and tried to discern the difference because I don't care. I'm just delighted that a whiskey I love so much is not going extinct just because the producer is using a different distillery.

Knowing this helps me sleep.

For me, the Lot B falls in the sweet spot between the PVW 15 and 10/107. Not as dry as the 15, and more complex than the 10/107. At least to my simple palate.

Having said that, I thoroughly enjoy all three along with the rest of the VW lineup.

I'm with Chuck. Not so far as Lot B, but in the fact that if it tastes how it should and is delicious I am fine with that. As long as Pappy 15 (my hands down favorite of VW) tastes like Pappy 15, I don't care where it comes from. But that's just me.

My vote goes for Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 as the best VW.

Especially if it was from Lawrenceburg.

Joe :usflag:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.