Bourbon Barrel Care

whgaunce@alltel.
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have just acquired a used barrel that was dumped for bottling within the last two months. I want to sand it and possibly polyurethane it and display it along with my collection. I have heard that if the barrels dry out they will collapse inward (?) Give me your expert advice and possible solutions! Also other possble uses are appreciated. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!!:grin:

I have just acquired a used barrel that was dumped for bottling within the last two months. I want to sand it and possibly polyurethane it and display it along with my collection. I have heard that if the barrels dry out they will collapse inward (?) Give me your expert advice and possible solutions! Also other possible uses are appreciated. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!!:grin:

As the staves dry out, they will become loose and eventually the barrel may fall apart. I refinsihed a few old barrels. I first drilled holes through the top and bottom bands and installed screws through the bands and staves into the top and bottom heads. I installed wood screws through each stave (top and bottom).

The other bands require only a few screws to prevent them from moving out of position when they shrink. When the top and bottom hoops were attached to the heads, I removed the other bands and sanded the staves. After sanding, I coated the entire barrel with about 4 coats of spar varnish.

I wanted to maintain the information stenciled on the barrel head, so I only carefully cleaned that head and then varnished it. I removed the rust from the bands and painted them with Rust-Oleum black paint.

After finishing, I replaced the plated steel screws with black pyramid head wood screws. When finished, I had a round 1/4" glass plate made to fit on the top that had the identification. The barrel head had warped but the glass provided a flat surface.

post-1005-14489816999639_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816999829_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816999996_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816999639_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816999829_thumb.jpg

post-1005-14489816999996_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.