Single Oak Project

pangkarra
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I heard that Binny's will only sell them by the case, not individual bottles. True?

True............

True............

So i have to ask.........Does that put any sort of brake on the demand that you get from people. It's one thing to go in and drop $55-65 on a bottle, but multiply that by a case of 12?! Ouch!

B

Who is longing to get back to visit the folks to get over to the Naperville store. :grin:

So i have to ask.........Does that put any sort of brake on the demand that you get from people. It's one thing to go in and drop $55-65 on a bottle, but multiply that by a case of 12?! Ouch!

B

Who is longing to get back to visit the folks to get over to the Naperville store. :grin:

Most people buying this, are buying whole sets. So. I'd say no. The folks that want this are planning on collecting the whole set. The demand is there, and they're being snapped up.

How many bottles are in a case?

It's a case of 12 375 ml bottles.

I don't fault Binny's, although it may alienate a few customers, it will delight others. That's the risk you take. The allocations are so small that they shouldn't have any trouble selling through, whereas breaking the cases would risk them being stuck with odd bottles nobody wants.

It'll be interesting to see (if we ever learn) how many replies are generated. In addition to the non-responders, I suspect that a considerable amount will end up in somebody's bunker (either directly or via ebay).

As Joe said, they're selling to people who have their sights set on owning all of them. That doesn't seem like somebody who will be quick to open them. I don't quite know why someone would think that is a good idea, unless they simply have too much money and have to own everything that's made. Otherwise, they don't strike me as a good investment.

I had a shot at both these releases but passed.

I'm burnt on the collecting thing. I want bottles to drink and these are a pricy drink. Worst part is, if I like the one I drink I wont be able to buy anymore.

• 9 months later...

Not much buzz on this of late. I never jumped in. Anything of note, lately?

Not much buzz on this of late. I never jumped in. Anything of note, lately?

As Joe said, they're selling to people who have their sights set on owning all of them. That doesn't seem like somebody who will be quick to open them. I don't quite know why someone would think that is a good idea, unless they simply have too much money and have to own everything that's made. Otherwise, they don't strike me as a good investment.

Actually Chuck, while the majority of buyers are collectors, I think there is still a significant number of folks buying who are treating this as an educational experience. I bought the first release hoping to put together a tasting group, however was not successful, so I stopped purchasing them. Luckily I was recently able to join a group so I will be tasting the rest of the releases.

Tom

I'm in a tasting group and just finished the fourth release. The bourbon isn't great, for the most part, but it's very interesting to track the differences that different variables create.

The best on-line summaries are from Scotch & Ice Cream (by Regular Chumpington who sometimes posts here) who is in my tasting group for these.

Here's his latest: http://www.scotchandicecream.com/2012/05/10/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-round-4/

I'm in a tasting group and just finished the fourth release. The bourbon isn't great, for the most part, but it's very interesting to track the differences that different variables create.

The best on-line summaries are from Scotch & Ice Cream (by Regular Chumpington who sometimes posts here) who is in my tasting group for these.

Here's his latest: http://www.scotchandicecream.com/2012/05/10/buffalo-trace-single-oak-project-round-4/

Steve, it is really nice to see that your group and Tim's are doing these reviews so we will have some history when all is said and done. Appreciate that you let us share in your efforts. Thanks!!

They recently released the fifth group.

I still find it an interesting idea, just overwhelming. Giving it the due amount of attention would be almost a full-time job. I think they're selling. Otherwise, I don't know if the project is meeting BT's expectations or not. They say they're happy with it.

They recently released the fifth group.

I still find it an interesting idea, just overwhelming. Giving it the due amount of attention would be almost a full-time job. I think they're selling. Otherwise, I don't know if the project is meeting BT's expectations or not. They say they're happy with it.

First, thanks to Sku et. al for the nods. It's no secret that I think SOP is one of the more interesting single barrel programs masquerading as a masterclass available. For those of us who aren't going to be in KY anytime soon and don't have any sort of "in" with the names there, it's really fascinating.

Now that said.. yes, it is absolutely overwhelming. I don't think it's quite as time consuming as you'd estimate, Chuck - you get 12 bourbons every quarter. While I certainly like to sit and suss out what a bourbon has to say, I will say that it does not take a massive sample or a huge amount of time to really get to the bottom of what a particular combination has to say for itself. I'm able to rip through 12 bourbons in a week, plus or minus, and have a pretty good handle on what is going on.

There's a much more macro-level understanding that will undoubtedly start to emerge, but with 25% down, there's still so much that isn't known or properly contextualized to really be able to dig deeper with. It's entirely possible that I may find more time spent in analysis later. For now, it's an interesting (if not necessarily amazing) diversion from my tasting and drinking every three months or so.

I would be absolutely fascinated to find out more of Buffalo Trace's thinking on the project, but at this point I feel like I'm as much under the microscope as the project so I'm kind of reserving questions and judgement until it's nearly over.

Chuck, if you're ever interested to see what it's all about, if samples aren't forthcoming please shoot me a PM here or email me through my site and I'll see what I can do. I understand a lot of the criticism of the project, but it's a worthwhile experience. I think BT unfortunately didn't get their best foot forward on this one; the first release was atrocious and easily the worst of the bunch.

In the meantime, if anyone sees a bottle and wants to try one, I keep a scorecard on my site. I grade on the LAWS scale which may seem like an artificial depression of scores, but basically, "B" is anything I'd be happy to have on my bar, B+ I'd actively consider buying. A-range is into the religious experience/change voter registration to make it president territory. There are some really bogus bottles out there but there are a few that I think are pretty worthwhile.

-T

(I am not on the Buffalo Trace payroll. ;) )

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.