Beer Aged in Pappy Barrels $45 a Bottle!

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In other news, P.T. Barnum spotted in Chicago, bound by fits of laughter as he is proven correct once again.

Been wondering when this was coming.

It does make me curious what the secondary market for used barrels are. I'm guessing the popularity of beer aged in bourbon barrels has driven up prices of the better barrels.

I think a West Coast brewer did this in Pappy barrels a year or two ago. I can't remember if it was a 23 or 20 year old Pappy but it was expensive also.

A quick search on BA comes up with 4 beers from 3 breweries that have used Van Winkle barrels previously.

I think a West Coast brewer did this in Pappy barrels a year or two ago. I can't remember if it was a 23 or 20 year old Pappy but it was expensive also.

The longer the barrels have had bourbon in them the less power there is left as I se it. Thereof the price setting is upside down in my opinion.

Leif

The longer the barrels have had bourbon in them the less power there is left as I se it. Thereof the price setting is upside down in my opinion.

Leif

The theory now in using very well used bourbon barrels is that while the bourbon does deplete the absorbables it also changes -- bourbonizes -- the barrel's character, so while for some applications you might prefer a bourbon barrel that is only lightly used -- say for the 2-year-old bourbon used in Australian RTDs -- for some applications you want a barrel that has been thoroughly bourbonized.

Been wondering when this was coming.

It does make me curious what the secondary market for used barrels are. I'm guessing the popularity of beer aged in bourbon barrels has driven up prices of the better barrels.

A quick search on BA comes up with 4 beers from 3 breweries that have used Van Winkle barrels previously.

All of the sales to brewers are but a drop in the barrel, pardon the expression, compared to the primary market for used bourbon barrels, which is Scotland, Canada, California, Mexico and the Caribbean for whiskey and other aged spirits. But it's nice that the distilleries are also selling barrels to brewers, food makers, cigar makers, and who knows what else.

And don't forget planters and furniture.

I have tried the Bourbon County stout from Goose and it is exceptional and I thought it was in Jim Beam barrels?? its 2010.

I had a big 22oz bottle, which I devoured, and I bought a small 4 pack for not much money that I am planning on cellar-ing.

Would I pay $45 for 22oz Rare??? I think that's a bit much.

If you can get the other regular 2010 stuff it's a great stout. One of the best I've ever had.

Here's my review of it my 2 cents starts at about the 7:57 mark.

There are Orkney Ales I've seen for that size for $50!

Here's a review of a superb locally produced bourbon barrel aged stout at much less than 45 bucks for a 22 oz bottle.

I have tried the Bourbon County stout from Goose and it is exceptional and I thought it was in Jim Beam barrels?? its 2010.

According to the Tribune article, the regular BCS is aged about 7 months in used Heaven Hill (i.e., Evan Williams) barrels.

According to the Tribune article, the regular BCS is aged about 7 months in used Heaven Hill (i.e., Evan Williams) barrels.

I only mention the "Jim Beam" connection cause I saw this video about their regular stout where he quotes talking Booker out of some barrels while researching about the regular stout...

I am just confused now... no big deal though. Would love to try the Rare but I would never shell that much out for it...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.