Wild Turkey Tribute Question

Neat
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi everyone. Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've read with envy and awe posts about dusty hunting and finding stashes of SW OF, WT 12, ER 101, etc., I've been dusty hunting myself (with very limited success) and today, I thought I hit it BIG: 2 WT 12 yo and 2 WT Tribute! They were up on a high shelf where I couldn't reach them so I asked the store owner if I could borrow a stool. He said he would get them for me. He did so and told me the prices: 99.99 for the WT 12 yo (each) and 149.99 (or was it 159.99?) for the WTT (each :bigeyes: ). I obviously was not going to get them for original SRP. He saw my eyes pop out and he started talking and he obviously is aware of their worth.

Question for the board: I like WT 101, really like WTAS and have been reading about the glory that is WTT. Do you think the WTT is worth $150 or so? The WTAS is still readily available for $80 so I will buy more bottles of that rather than the WT 12 yo (I've never tasted it but am assuming that the WTAS is better - please correct me if I am wrong).

Your advice and opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Let's say a bottle of WT101 costs you $20 bucks. Is the Tribute 7 1/2 times better? Of course not. You can't think of it that way. If you have to think of it that way to justify it then you can't buy it because it's not 7 1/2 times better, not that you can really quantify something like that.

If you can afford $149, or $99, or $80 and want to taste those expressions, then do it. In fact, I would say that however much better the $80 WTAS is than the $20 WT101, that's about how much better the WTT and WT12 are too, but they aren't the same thing.

Look, even something legendary like Very Very Old Fitz is not going to change your life. I've had them all and feel very privileged to be able to say that, but it's whiskey. There's really no way to measure what it's worth.

Let's say a bottle of WT101 costs you $20 bucks. Is the Tribute 7 1/2 times better? Of course not. You can't think of it that way. If you have to think of it that way to justify it then you can't buy it because it's not 7 1/2 times better, not that you can really quantify something like that.

If you can afford $149, or $99, or $80 and want to taste those expressions, then do it. In fact, I would say that however much better the $80 WTAS is than the $20 WT101, that's about how much better the WTT and WT12 are too, but they aren't the same thing.

Look, even something legendary like Very Very Old Fitz is not going to change your life. I've had them all and feel very privileged to be able to say that, but it's whiskey. There's really no way to measure what it's worth.

Thank you. Glad I could help.

I would say that is a fair price for Tribute. I'm not sure if 12 can be had for less. Probably not. They are both very rare in the wild.

VVOF tastes a lot like the Van Winkles, especially the 12 and up, which is why I love them so much. The same, no, but same ballpark.

Weller 12 and Lot B are two wheated bourbons, more than 12 years old, from the same stocks. They are both great and are among my favorites. They are very similar but I like Lot B a little better. I don't know why but I do.

If I could drink VVOF every day would I abandon Lot B? I have no way to know.

Neat - Welcome to the site from a fellow Houstonian. I see you found Village Liquors - or at least I assume that is where you saw the WT 12 and WT Tribute. If it was not Village, it was probably another of same the man's store. Victor Patel is the owner and has about 5 stores in town. Yes, he knows what he has and priced them accordingly. Or maybe he has them overpriced because they have sat on his shelf for a long time at that price point. Sometimes I think Victor is more of a collector than retailer and he would rather keep than sale. I know Houston and what is available in pretty much all the liquor stores in town and can tell you the odds of you finding either a bottle WT 12 or WT Tribute at a lower price is slim to none. So if you want one and think the price is worth it, buy it.

I like the WT Tradition, the recent bottling, better than WT American Spirit. It's not as great as WT Tribute, but is on same level. The liquor stores attached to Costco have the WT Tradition for $80. It's in the glass case by front of store. There are 3 Costcos in town and I can't remember which ones had this, but know I saw it within past couple of weeks (yes, I go to Costco too often...). You don't have to be a Costco member to shop at the liquor store. Also, they have a "Costco Selection Barrel" of Buffalo Trace for $19.99 that it pretty darn good. If you need Vodka, they also had 1.75l of Rain Vodka (made at Buffalo Trace) for $22.97, which is dirt cheap.

On a side note - This is my 1000 post. Some have reached this milestone way faster than I, but I'm like the tortoise and plan to win the race with quality posts over the long haul. Cheers to the Butler brothers for creating and hosting this community!

Thank you. Glad I could help.

I would say that is a fair price for Tribute. I'm not sure if 12 can be had for less. Probably not. They are both very rare in the wild.

VVOF tastes a lot like the Van Winkles, especially the 12 and up, which is why I love them so much. The same, no, but same ballpark.

Weller 12 and Lot B are two wheated bourbons, more than 12 years old, from the same stocks. They are both great and are among my favorites. They are very similar but I like Lot B a little better. I don't know why but I do.

If I could drink VVOF every day would I abandon Lot B? I have no way to know.

Thank YOU! Still more useful information/guidance. I'm also very fond of the Lot B. As with the other Pappy stuff, I'm not crazy about the limited releases and quantities, i.e., I can't just buy a bottle and go back to the store for another one. I guess being on the lookout for the annual/biannual releases is better than not having it at all.

I didn't particularly like a Weller I had (the WLW are great though) - can't remember which one. Must have been that night. I'll have to try the Weller 12.

Neat - Welcome to the site from a fellow Houstonian. I see you found Village Liquors - or at least I assume that is where you saw the WT 12 and WT Tribute. If it was not Village, it was probably another of same the man's store. Victor Patel is the owner and has about 5 stores in town. Yes, he knows what he has and priced them accordingly. Or maybe he has them overpriced because they have sat on his shelf for a long time at that price point. Sometimes I think Victor is more of a collector than retailer and he would rather keep than sale. I know Houston and what is available in pretty much all the liquor stores in town and can tell you the odds of you finding either a bottle WT 12 or WT Tribute at a lower price is slim to none. So if you want one and think the price is worth it, buy it.

I like the WT Tradition, the recent bottling, better than WT American Spirit. It's not as great as WT Tribute, but is on same level. The liquor stores attached to Costco have the WT Tradition for $80. It's in the glass case by front of store. There are 3 Costcos in town and I can't remember which ones had this, but know I saw it within past couple of weeks (yes, I go to Costco too often...). You don't have to be a Costco member to shop at the liquor store. Also, they have a "Costco Selection Barrel" of Buffalo Trace for $19.99 that it pretty darn good. If you need Vodka, they also had 1.75l of Rain Vodka (made at Buffalo Trace) for $22.97, which is dirt cheap.

On a side note - This is my 1000 post. Some have reached this milestone way faster than I, but I'm like the tortoise and plan to win the race with quality posts over the long haul. Cheers to the Butler brothers for creating and hosting this community!

LOL! Man I love this site! Thanks for the information about the Tradition. Sounds as if they are about 10% cheaper than Spec's. Will have to check it out. I heard that Costco also gets Pappy's and that they distribute it via a waiting list - is this true? I'll have to try the Costco BT.

LOL! Man I love this site! Thanks for the information about the Tradition. Sounds as if they are about 10% cheaper than Spec's. Will have to check it out. I heard that Costco also gets Pappy's and that they distribute it via a waiting list - is this true? I'll have to try the Costco BT.

They do get some Pappy's, but very limited (like 1-3 bottles). I have gave them my name before and never received a call, so don't believe the waiting list theory. I have bought a couple of Pappy's (Lot B and 10/107) from them, but just happened to be in store at right time. Whenever, I go to Costco, I stick my head into liquor store and take a quick look at glass case. Timing is everything.

I still remember going into Village Liquors about 5 years ago and tried to buy all of Victor's WT 12yo's for $69. He would only sell me two of them and immediately priced the rest of them at $99 and there they sit. There are some $99 WT 12's at other stores around town too.

The easy pickings around Houston have been pretty much gobbled up so to say between Wade, myself, Gus and a few others.....including the gang of SBers that decended upon Houston to my house last May. I think they talked the lady at Victor's store down on the Tribute price some. Victor won't budge. Tribute is the pinnacle of WT in my opinion but would rather buy a Tradition for $80 vs $150 pus for the Tribute.

Randy

That's a great post.

I can still imagine the look on Victor's face when he came back into the store the Monday morning after our visit in May...we bought 4 or 5 Tribute's from there for $100 ea with 3 of them being signed ones by Jimmy Russel! :D Thanks again Wade for hooking a brother up! :cool:

Victor usually cries when I bring SB'ers into his stores......all the way to the bank. I think Stu and Doug helped fund his retirement on scotch purchases alone.

Randy

Victor usually cries when I bring SB'ers into his stores......all the way to the bank. I think Stu and Doug helped fund his retirement on scotch purchases alone.

Randy

Yup Randy...I've spent a good amount in Victor's stores between you taking me there for some WTAS, OWA, ETL, and Pewter Tops and Wade leading me there for some Tribute, OFBB 07's, and Smooth Brown Tops...love me some Victory Liquors! :cool:

I hope to make it back to the Houston area in Q1 of 2011 Randy...a trip to Poison Girl or a night out with you, Wade, and Gus would be great!

Man, I should have re-read this board before I went back to the store!:smiley_acbt:

I ended up buying the WT 12 and WTT. Didn't touch this year's releases of the BTAC (WLW and GTS), Pappy 20 and Van Winkle Rye - he already jacked the prices up and I bought more than enough from stores selling them for SRP. I was feeling elated (I'll finally taste the WT 12 and WTT!) but depressed (I didn't buy them for original SRP - yeah, I love bargains too much). I decided to give up dusty hunting in Houston based on all the SB'ers who must have already cleaned up the area but decided to spend some time yesterday (I had a few hours to spare) doing so anyway - if nothing else, going into certain parts of Houston will give one a thrill just by exposing yourself to danger:cool:

Six stores > 2005 and 2006 ER 17, 2007 GTS and Old Charter Bourbon Heritage Collection. All for original SRP!:cool:

I was feeling elated (I'll finally taste the WT 12 and WTT!) but depressed (I didn't buy them for original SRP - yeah, I love bargains too much).

Glad I don't live in Houston. I too love a good deal, which is why I'll usually at least ask for a discount, unless it's the biggest of warehouse stores, if I'm buying multiple bottles. While the discount is rarely large, they rarely say no. For example, I finally found my own WT12s (CGFs) a few weeks ago at a small spot where the owner worked the counter. Bought one for the asking price ($50). When I went back earlier this week for the others, got two more for $45 each.

I decided to give up dusty hunting in Houston based on all the SB'ers who must have already cleaned up the area but decided to spend some time yesterday (I had a few hours to spare) doing so anyway - if nothing else, going into certain parts of Houston will give one a thrill just by exposing yourself to danger:cool:

Six stores > 2005 and 2006 ER 17, 2007 GTS and Old Charter Bourbon Heritage Collection. All for original SRP!:cool:

No need to give up in Houston on dusty bottles. I specifically said you would be very unlikey to find WT Tribute or WT 12 anywhere besides Village Liquors (or another of Victor's stores). If you interpreted that as every good dusty bottle is long gone, that was not my intention. As you found, plenty of OCPR and other Bourbon Heritage Collection still out there. Also easy enough to find is Old Charter from Louisville in several age statements; I like Old Charter The Classic 12 YO. ER 10/101 and WT RR 10/101 are likely still out there. Previous years of the antique collection have sat on some stores shelfs. Old Rebel from Louisville. Got $200 - how about a Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece (that $200 was originally SRP price what about 15 years ago). And I'm sure even more.

Just do me or other Houston SB members a favor (and ignore the other vultures :rolleyes: ). If you find a large stash of some dusty that is more than you are going to buy, give us a heads up via PM. The favor will be returned.

No need to give up in Houston on dusty bottles. I specifically said you would be very unlikey to find WT Tribute or WT 12 anywhere besides Village Liquors (or another of Victor's stores). If you interpreted that as every good dusty bottle is long gone, that was not my intention. As you found, plenty of OCPR and other Bourbon Heritage Collection still out there. Also easy enough to find is Old Charter from Louisville in several age statements; I like Old Charter The Classic 12 YO. ER 10/101 and WT RR 10/101 are likely still out there. Previous years of the antique collection have sat on some stores shelfs. Old Rebel from Louisville. Got $200 - how about a Jim Beam Distillers Masterpiece (that $200 was originally SRP price what about 15 years ago). And I'm sure even more.

Just do me or other Houston SB members a favor (and ignore the other vultures :rolleyes: ). If you find a large stash of some dusty that is more than you are going to buy, give us a heads up via PM. The favor will be returned.

Glad I don't live in Houston. I too love a good deal, which is why I'll usually at least ask for a discount, unless it's the biggest of warehouse stores, if I'm buying multiple bottles. While the discount is rarely large, they rarely say no. For example, I finally found my own WT12s (CGFs) a few weeks ago at a small spot where the owner worked the counter. Bought one for the asking price ($50). When I went back earlier this week for the others, got two more for $45 each.

For years I would buy a special bottle for the Christmas Season and that's how I chose a bottle of Tribute. My friends and I enjoyed the expression but I chose not to replace it.

I beg to differ Chuck, Very, Very Old Fitzgerald can change your life. It changed mine the summer I was 17 but the night included a blond, blue eyed girl who developed a fondness for my special bottle.

It changed my life again a few days later when Dad discovered he was a bottle short.

I beg to differ Chuck, Very, Very Old Fitzgerald can change your life. It changed mine the summer I was 17 but the night included a blond, blue eyed girl who developed a fondness for my special bottle.

It changed my life again a few days later when Dad discovered he was a bottle short.

HAHA!

As for SW/DSP 16 whiskey.. you should be able to find OFBIB left and right down there. That particular bottling isn't as rare as some think. And do remember that OF Prime and Rebel Yell were once SW juice too.

Damn, what website did I land on, anyway?

a blond, blue eyed girl who developed a fondness for my special bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.