A "Christmas" Bourbon

Parkersback
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Friends, do you any of you have a bourbon you consider to be your "Christmas" bourbon--the whiskey you associate with the holidays? Maybe a drink you always have around this time, or that has special meaning to you at this time?

Or are there any pours that you'd think, "yeah, that whiskey has a kind of Christmas feel to it?"

My provisional answer is that this year I noticed that in a few stores, the price of Crown Royal Lot 16 plunged from $100 to $29. Right as I was noticing this, I got word from my mom that my step dad's brother died. After the funeral, the family got together and knocked back quite a bit of Crown Royal (regular expression). (They live in southeast Michigan where Canadian whiskey, and CR in general, has lots of traction). Afterwards my step dad told my mom how much it meant to him to have everyone together, knocking back back shots of Crown to celebrate his brother's life.

Thinking of this, I sent him a bottle of Lot 16 saying I was thinking of him. I talked to my mom tonight and she told me he loved that gift but that he refused to open it until I got to Michigan for Christmas, he didn't want to open it without me.

So I think that CR LOt 16 is about to be my Xmas 2010 whiskey!

Anyway, I'd love to hear any other Christmas stories from SB members.

And may the blessing of this season be yours, joy and peace to you and yours.

Well it sounds as if you'll be in my neck of the woods for the Holidays. I don't really have a Christmas bottle per say, though every time I think of the holiday season I think of WT's old Rye label which was Green and Red (a nice Christmas Rye) when you can find it.

If you end up with some time while in town, let the Michigan Bourbon Hounds know and we can put a tasting of some sort together!

Cheers!

Tony

Handy. With the clove and spice characteristics It's a natural Christmas eve/Christmas day sipper.

Depends. Odd years I do Christmas with the in-laws in Michigan. Those years the answer is whatever I can find in the stores up there that will get me through the day (last year was Bulleit). Even years such as this one are spent with my family. Traditionally it has been the Crown Royal that one of us unwrapped that morning, but this year I am taking a PVW 15. Should be a Merry Christmas indeed.

If you end up with some time while in town, let the Michigan Bourbon Hounds know and we can put a tasting of some sort together!

Cheers!

Tony

My wife is English and we celebrate Boxing Day (the day after Christmas for those unfamiliar with the holiday). We'll be hosting a small gathering of friends and I've been giving some thought to what I can crack open this year as a special pour for my guests. I'm leaning towards Pappy 15 (2007)which is always terrific but may bust open a Parker's Heritage as well for the more seasoned bourbon drinkers.

Handy. With the clove and spice characteristics It's a natural Christmas eve/Christmas day sipper.

I try to spend every Christmas I can with my grandfather, now 95. There is one bourbon allowed at his home of 90 years, Evan Williams. It's always available in the kitchen and it's a good pour.

I think wheaters express 'Christmas spice' more than other bourbons. They're also easier on non-bourbon drinkers. I'm taking a bottle of WLW Special Reserve but Maker's 46 would be a great choice.

I opened a bottle of WT Rare Breed last night that should be empty by Christmas night. I did the same last year. I am the only one drinking the bourbon so I don't have to worry what others will be able to handle. Rare Breed is just right with lots of spice and high proof. Goes well with our frigid 50 degree Christmas weather! Oh and it was 85 2 days ago.

I opened a bottle of WT Rare Breed last night that should be empty by Christmas night. I did the same last year. I am the only one drinking the bourbon so I don't have to worry what others will be able to handle. Rare Breed is just right with lots of spice and high proof. Goes well with our frigid 50 degree Christmas weather! Oh and it was 85 2 days ago.

Christmas is normally a day when the whisk(e)y bottles stay closed. After dinner, my son always asks to hit my port supply. Then while we are opening presents, hot buttered rum (usually made with Appleton, but this year may pour some with Pyrat for a little extra sweetness) is the drink of choice. I've made eggnog with bourbon a few times, but it normally sits untouched with everyone asking for rum.

My wife has been into the BT Bourbon Cream Liqueur as an

alternative to Egg Nog. I have a bottle of Olde St. Nick

Christmas Dream

1989stnick.jpg

that I've been hanging onto. Not sure what kinda "Dream" it is

but maybe this year?....

I will be opening a bottle of Parker's Heritage #4. The wheated bourbon. And hopefully enjoying that with some friends over the holidays.

Was struggling with this very question. I was staring at my VW Lot B, Pappy 12 and VWFRR.

I decided to go with the Lot B. It's the 2009 version with the low label. So good.

I bought a Saz Jr. yesterday. Since I'm having people over I have to decide on another couple. I think I'm going to grab another 2010 GTS in a day or two to add to the festivities. I do have some 4R 120th tempting me as well but I have more 2010 GTS than the 120th so I am not wanting to open that.

I guess instead of Bourbon Nervosa I'm having Bunker Nervosa?

So many to choose from that it makes it difficult, but I felt this year the Old Forester B-day Bourbon (2010) had a great deal of woody spices like clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon. But it also had some great citrus peel notes and some hot ginger. Oranges and clementines remind me of the holidays too.

So that gets my vote this year. And it's widely available. Imagine that! :lol:

We enjoyed some OFBB on Christmas Eve too, except it was 2006 vintage. Since many of us are celebrating a birth, OFBB seems a good choice. And the birth of a new year is coming up!

Happy 2011 everyone!

We enjoyed some OFBB on Christmas Eve too, except it was 2006 vintage. Since many of us are celebrating a birth, OFBB seems a good choice. And the birth of a new year is coming up!

Happy 2011 everyone!

I always end up with a bottle of rare breed, so that must be my Christmas whiskey

Come to think of it EC12 does remind me of Christmas. back in the early 90s my partner and I would buy a case during the holidays.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.