I made a Kentucky Derby Race Day Pie on Monday

MikeDS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Turned out pretty good. Here is the recipe:

4 eggs

3/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 tblsp bourbon (I used OGD 100 as it's what I had and used a bit more than 2 tablespoons :-) )

1 cup light corn syrup

1 stick of butta, melted

1 tblsp flour (I didn't know what the point was with so little but I put it in)

1 cup chopped pecans (I toasted them too)

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 unbaked pie crust

The recipe said...

Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (I did by hand with a whisk since I'm so manly). Add 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp vanilla, 2(+) tblsp bourbon, 1 cup corn syrup, 1 stick melted butter, and 1 tblsp flour. Mix all ingredients well. Place the cup of chopped pecans evenly in the pie crust (I didn't do this, I mixed them into the "batter"). Next, place the cup of chocolate chips evenly over the top of the chopped pecans (since I put the pecans into the batter this step just included the choc. chips). Pour the filling into the pie crust. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I'm not a HUGE fan of chocolate chips so I think I'll try butterscotch next time. You can definitely taste the bourbon. It might even be too strong a bourbon taste for non-bourbon lovers. It was fine for me though!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.