Heavy weights of the Bourbon Industry

Marvin
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

> 4) a bit more honesty about where the bourbon is coming from (who really

> distilled it and where and when) and what the mashbill may be.

Good luck with that! I'm all for it, of course, but I think that marketing

departments enjoy what I call "the Icehouse effect", which I named

after Icehouse Beer, from "the Plank Road Brewery". I think that if

people knew that it was a Miller product, then it wouldn't be nearly

as popular. They made sure that "Miller" wasn't on the label anywhere.

The Miller name would have connected it with the macrobrew, and

people would look at it differently. They distance their premium

product from their middle shelf product.

(Additionally, I think that bourbon bottlings are really more about taste

profile... there might be different ways to get that taste profile... different

distilleries, different mashbills. Naming 'em makes you stick to that

mashbill and distillery.)

I'd be happy if they put all the info about a given bourbon on the

corporate website, even if the info wouldn't appear on the

packaging or in the marketing crap.

Tim

Tim, as much as I hate to admit it, you are exactly right. Marketing is 99% of the game, quality might come up to 1%.

Tim

Hi Marvin, I enjoy all your postings. I like all whiskey styles. I find it hard to compare them tastewise because they are so different. Pricewise, the comparison is easily in favour of bourbon. The quality offered by a straight whiskey costing $10.00-$15.00 a bottle is far ahead of almost any scotch I know. I find Irish whiskey, the pot still style or a blend with a good proportion of pot still (e.g. Powers) is a good price and taste alternative to single malt whisky.

To me they each have their place, or mood - and so occasionally does a good American or Canadian blended.

I would be interested (does anyone know?) what the composition of Barton's blended whiskey is. On a frozen New York day on Sunday at noon walking hard through the Upper East side, any bourbon or scotch seemed too much at noon. The Barton's fit the bill perfectly aside a steaming coffee. Indeed its taste profile had coffee-like notes, the kind of coffee that is spicy..

Cy

You guys make me laugh! You cannot realise how lucky you are to live in the USA with your access to quality Bourbon (granted it is your native spirit) at prices we in England only dream of. Scotch is one of Britain's native spirits but the best scotch tastes awful in my opinion.

The cheapest pour in England is Golden Sun Bourbon which is not too good to say the least. However as I have easy access to the finest Scotch and Irish Whisky, I can say that the worst Bourbon you guys produce, beats the finest output of both Scotland and Ireland hands down.

Remember what you guys are evaluating on this forum - the best quality and most individual spirit on the market.

Funny, I enjoy all kinds of whisk(e)y, though I must say that bourbon is winning my bottle selection much more often. I am for a "North Atlantic Free Trade Zone" where the US/Canada/Great Britain/Ireland...Iceland etc. can trade w/o excess tariff/duty costs on the best products from all shores. You guys need to get out of Europe! wink.gif Sprechen zie deutsch!? grin.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Philip wrote </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Scotch is one of Britain's native spirits but the best scotch tastes awful in my opinion. (and) I can say that the worst Bourbon you guys produce, beats the finest output of both Scotland and Ireland hands down.

Sorry to say it folks , but there's no new news here. They even wrote a song about it................

Drum roll

Guitar solo .......tweedle tweedle dee.......... feed back .......OH YEAH

BABY BABY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said I said .....A hunka hunka hunka............OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SAID THE GIRLS ALL GET PRETTIER AT CLOSIN" TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Thank you Very Much

Smelvis has left the building! grin.gif

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

BLeeeeE! Is it true that Tim Dellinger and myself find ourselves in rare agreement? YES! I'm pretty happy about it. We've been 'round about together on the same wavelenghth for ever so long. Who would have guessed we'd have stoped on this strobe lit bathed swatch of reality to agree with one another??? confused.gif I agree with your assessment of micro-distillers and I'd like to be involved. If the stock market should ever come back I'd have some capital and some expertise to invest. Call me as I'd like to have a go at it.- I ain't nobody special. - Just Linn wink.gif

Dang, that's a heckuva ad. grin.gif Don't know what to say and still remain gentlemanly. wink.gif

P.S. Will she be at the Bourbon Festival? shocked.gif

Hey,

Only if you want her to wink.gif ...

One thing...ya hafta drink a lot of Evan Williams before she will do her majic trick grin.gif ...

Ohhhhhhh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

grin.gifgrin.gif Bettye Jo grin.gifgrin.gif

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.