preparing to make Sazerac cocktail

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Gonna base it on the one at the Girl & the Goat. They use Old Overholt, cognac, some kind of absinthe.

I'm gonna use Whistlepig Rye, Pierre Ferrand Cognac, Lucid Absinthe, Peychaud Bitters. Luckily, Schafers in Skokie had Peychauds and it's on the way home from work. Peychauds clearly has a licorice (anise) aroma. Got the Whistlepig at Knightsbridge Wine in Northbrook; i think I remember reading about it in Malt Advocate. I also have bottles of Sazerac and vanWinkle rye; may have to do a comparison.

IMAG0283.jpg

Not sure of my source but I believe the first cocktail that was later to be known as the Sazerac was made with brandy as the spirit base.

Personally, I wouldn't mix a cocktail with such high end rye...Sazerac or Wild Turkey or Rittenhouse would do just fine for me

Not sure of my source but I believe the first cocktail that was later to be known as the Sazerac was made with brandy as the spirit base.

I have found lucid to be utterly dissapointing, especially when mixed with high end spirits. If you can find Tattoo out of British Columbia.. it is amazing straight or in a cocktail.

Personally, I wouldn't mix a cocktail with such high end rye...Sazerac or Wild Turkey or Rittenhouse would do just fine for me

I used to think similarly but I remember someone posting something like "For the best result, use the best ingredient." in a related discussion, decided to give it a go (GTS Manhattan), and was sold on this idea. Granted I don't mix cocktails that often and when I do I usually use something a lot cheaper but it's worthwhile to give these drinks a try with some of your favorite high end stuff if there is one you really like, imo.

I'm in the use the best ingredients camp.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Same here, I never understood why people use the "cheap stuff" when making a cocktail.

When a person makes soup they don't use rotten or bad meat and vegtables.

I think it may depend, somewhat, on the specifics. I can't see putting Pappys 15 into a bourbon and coke, the cocktail isn't that special to begin with, any midgrade bourbon is probably fine. But good rye and absinthe in a Sazerac could make a big difference. I tried one with using Handy one night, quite good, but a bit overpowering.

Craig

Craig I agree. I don't see the point of buying a really good whisky and drowning it in a mixer, a bit of water or ice cube perhaps, but not cola or ginger ale, because in a tall glass any good grade whisky will do.

I will however put out my best for my friends and they may use it as they wish.

I've asked all my ingredients and they say they don't know the difference.

Apparently, insulting good whiskey or committing a whiskey mixing crime is something in my head.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.