Merry Christmas Hennessy Black

HipFlask
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I received a bottle for Christmas. A cognac I have never had before. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what it is all about?

So I received a bottle for Christmas. A cognac I have never had before. Anyone care to enlighten me as to what it is all about?

"Black" spirits are all the rage these days. Not sure why, but lots of versions out there. Here's what Hennessy sez, "The new cognac drink from Hennessy has a blend of Jasmine, daffodils and orange flowers mixed with citrus, honey and grapes." They insist it was meant to be mixed. Looks like with all those ingredients it should increase libido, and smooth out any rough tones in your flatus. After a proper assessment, please let us know if it tastes good and helps you party like a rock star:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bottle as it was "on sale". I wouldn't spend more for it than the VS.

Tried neat, the nose and flavor was on the thin side, not what I would call a full bodied cognac. It was also a bit rough. Mixed in a sidecar, it worked pretty well but didn't really stand out. I could see this working for someone that doesn't really like cognac. Not much backbone on this one though. It probably works best in a old fashioned where the base spirit doesn't have to fight much for presence.

Despite its sterling reputation I've never cared much for Hennessy. My old standby has always been plain old Remy Martin VSOP and I've never been disappointed in a bottle, ever. Unfortunately, the hip hop crowd has kinda ruined cognac "culture" :lol: but I still love it. I think Kanye was blasted on Hennessy when he jumped on Taylor Swift's big moment at some awards show. All the more reason to pass it up. Kanye's gotten better though. Can't really say that about the Hennessy.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys seem to know a bit about cognac. I have a couple friends that like it, and I would like to add a couple good bottles to the "bar" akd whiskey shelf in the closet. What might you recommend?

I haven't tried many but Hine is really good, not as sickly sweet as some. the VSOP is nice and the XO is beautiful.

I think it's silly that all these cognacs are coming out priced like good VSOPs but are meant for mixing.

I just want a couple around that I can poor in a glass for a guest in my man cave, and not be serving swill. I may end up liking them if I choose well, I don't know yet.

• 2 weeks later...

The new-ish Remy 1738 is very good as far as Cognacs go. The problem is that it costs more than relatively high-end bourbons like FRSB, EC 18 and WTKS.

Hennessy Black is a joke I am afraid. A mixing cognac at that price? Please.

The VSOP Privilege is superior.

Good cognac at a reasonable price is very difficult to find, even if you mail order. If you are buying from a store, your options are probably Hennessy, Remy Martin, Martel and Courvoisier. If you are going to be serving it neat, you wouldn't want to buy anything less than a VSOP, the VS's are for cocktails. Most people like Remy Martin or Hennessey, but the Martel isn't too bad either. They are all priced about the same, and to the casual drinker would probably taste the same as well. I would buy whatever is cheapest of the three listed above.

If buying online, you have more choices. Do some research and keep in mind that the following generally applies:

1. The older the better. Most houses will list the age range of blends of various products on their websites. Age really helps here in adding flavor and complexity. You can find young whiskies that can be enjoyable for their intensity and favor. That's not so much the case with brandy. Young brandies are generally just hot and low on flavor and complexity.

2. Cognac made with grapes from Grand Champagne > Petite Champagne/Borderies > Fins Bois. That said, there are single vineyard vintages from some houses that can be quite good. What really matters here is who is doing the choosing and blending. Example:

http://www.surrenne.com/html/maisonsurrenne_singlecognscs.html

3. Drinkupny generally has some good deals and good selection. Might also try astor wines and shoppers vineyard. I like drinkupny because they generally only stock quality brands, so you don't have to worry as much about buying some over-rated, over-marketed swill, if you choose to buy blind.

Again, I think having a Remy VSOP around is a good move. Not too expensive and I think it's wonderful stuff.

I've had a Delamain VSOP before and really enjoyed that as well. I think it's a fair bit pricier than the Remy but worth having. It was a Grand Champagne as I recall.

I haven't had enough Grand Champagne cognacs to have developed a discerning palate but if you can find one at a price you like, go for it.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers!

Tim I've tried a fair number of Cognacs over the years and have settled on two for my use, Hine Rare & Delicate, and Delamain Pale & Dry. Both are at the upper end of what I'm willing to pay but are worth the price.

For guests that simply want a cognac any of the major house quality expression (VSOP or better) will be fine.

For mixing I use domestic brandy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.