Beam must have decided to promote rye too!

ThomasH
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was at the local liquor store today and saw something I've never seen before. Behind the counter was a 50ml four pack that had Red Stag, Beam white, Beam black with the new label and Beam rye. I know Beam made rye minis years ago as I have a few in my mini collection that are glass, one in particular being pre 1973 and 86 proof. I have seen most other Beam brands in miniature in recent times, but not any rye minis. I guess they are getting down to business to better promote all their brands!

Thomas

It makes a lot of sense. If Red Stag brings in drinkers who are new to whiskey, then a sampler like this gives them an easy way to try the range.

We have the Beam Rye mini in your friendlily mitten state to the north. They are in a plastic bottle. Not sure how long they have been out there but I got on in August.

I just noticed them here in Ohio last week. I know they haven't been here more than a month or I would have seen them earlier. They aren't available everywhere!

Thomas

Twenty-three years ago, before the National acquisition, when Beam was basically a one brand company, they weren't too terribly careful about how they used the brand. They used "Jim Beam" sparingly and "Beam's" indiscriminately, for bourbons and non-bourbons, even marketing a tequila called "Beamero." Yet there was always Jim Beam Rye, even when the black and green labels were "Beam's." I'm pretty sure that up until they put "Jim" on the black label, the only two "Jim Beam" products were the 4-year-old white label bourbon and the rye. At that point Jim Beam Rye probably was number 2 in sales. Then they acquired number 1, Old Overholt, as part of National. But even together they amounted to very little. So, yes, I think the subject line is exactly right. They're not going to spend a lot of money against it but making minis available where they're legal is a little something they can do that might stimulate sampling. If they were creating a new entry level rye today they might not give it the Jim Beam name, but I imagine the rye has been around for as long as the bourbon, so they're not about to change it. That's very authentic historically. You often read about distilleries in the mid- to late-19th century selling two products, a bourbon and a rye, sometimes with different names, sometimes with the same name.

I remember seeing Beamero tequila and thinking what a corny name for a tequila brand, but there was no doubt who was promoting it. I also remember when Jim Beam black was actually labeled "Beams Black label". I liked the proof and age of it better then, but like the idea of it being called Jim Beam Black. As for the rye, I like the idea of it being offered again in the mini size, not only because I collect minis, but also that it will get more people to try rye and hopefully fuel developement of other expressions of rye in the future!

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.