mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

tmckenzie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it. I love the stuff and hav never seen it outside of Kentucky and Tennesee.

Bring it to Texas! I'm tired of going to Oklahoma to to get it. Yankees scare me.

Don't you mean Okies.:grin:

I like Mellow Corn and we can even get it up here in Yankeeville(or SEE attle as my south Texas bil calls it).

I saw it in Au Bon Marche in Paris recently (high end department store), next to some well-reputed bourbons.

Gary

It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it.

That is great news! What's it going for where you found it?

Well Chuck, it runs like this. You walk through the main entrance of a vaulted and galleried 1800's building and onto to the food and wine area, first passing salesgirls offering samples of alluring French scents, then through the food area with fine charcuterie piled up and 100 cheeses or so, on through the special Fauchon section, and finally to the wine area which I walked by quickly (not really being a wine guy), and next is the whiskey area with a wall of fine malts and other Scotch whiskies and some Irish too, but then you see a shelf with American whiskies. IIRC, there were Blanton, Woodford Reserve, and Mellow Corn, and possibly a rye. Past that section is the Belgian and French beer section (with some imports beyond Belgium) where I spent the most time. Reputed the largest food department in Paris. Actually Mellow Corn fits in very well because the French appreciate artisan products and the food hall is full of them, so why not an American one?

Gary

I've been tempted to try some Mellow Corn but I don't know if I'll like it. What does it taste like in comparison to bourbon??

I urge everyone to pull the trigger on Mellow Corn if you have it available. For one thing, it's cheap (though perhaps not if you buy it at Au Bon Marche). It's not as rough as an unaged corn but still grassy and vegetal. The barrels are used so you get more tannin and other woody flavors rather than the vanilla and caramel you get from something aged in new wood. It's not something you'll drink everyday, probably. It's also pretty good in some cocktails. You can use it as you would tequila, which it tastes like a little.

Being BIB, I'm assuming it has spent the proper 2 years in oak barrels? I was also under the assumption that if something was BIB, it had to be in new oak barrels, but I guess I was wrong on that thought. I'll have to see if I can find a bottle in Maryland. As usual, this is not carried in God awful PA "state stores."

Mellow Corn will be available in more markets as the year unfolds, which is great news for the fans of unique Straight American whiskey types. NY and Illinois are some of the newest additions, more to come.

Corn whiskey is always the exception. BIB means four years in either used cooperage or new but uncharred cooperage. My guess would be used.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a difference between Mellow COrn and JW Corn... both HH products or is it the same stuff just packaged differently.

I have tasted mellow corn, Jw corn, and dixie dew. As far as I know, that is all the aged corn from HH. All 3 taste different. To me the boldest of the 3 is Dixie Dew. As far as I know, it is only available in Alabama abc stores. Mellow Corn, is just that, mellow. Jw corn almost tastes like young scotch to me. Only place I know of with jw corn is Virginia. The Alabama thing must be like evan williams was for years, the age statement for evan, was 6 yeas old. Must be a control state thing. Same thng with JW.

• 2 weeks later...

There is one store in Milwaukee that carries them all, but only one store. He forces the local HH distributor to bring them in for him.

I have tasted mellow corn, Jw corn, and dixie dew. As far as I know, that is all the aged corn from HH.

If I'm not mistaken they are making Platte Valley now, too. Besides Georgia Moon it's the only one I see regularly here. Mine's 3 years old.

they do make it. I had some 2 years ago. it was great. HH does a great job on corn.

I'm on my way to pick up a bottle today. Mellow Corn is now readily available here in Chicagoland, though I wish Dixie Dew was around for comparison purposes.

I thought Platte Valley was a distillery in MO. Did they sell out to HH?

I thought Platte Valley was a distillery in MO. Did they sell out to HH?

Yes, probably 20 years ago. A mere moment to old-timers like us, Stu.

Of the major distilleries, Heaven Hill is the only one that makes and sells corn whiskey. Some of the others make it for internal purposes, but only HH makes it for sale. So unless the corn whiskey you see is from a micro, it's from HH.

• 4 weeks later...

I was mailed a sample from a friend that can get Mellow Corn. WOW! I need to find a good source of this stuff ASAP.

• 3 months later...

I've never had the opportunity to drink any Mellow Corn and am so envious of everyone that can buy it at their local stores.

I've been working to get it at Spec's in downtown Houston for some time now, but as I understand it Texas may not be in the distribution area yet. Just yesterday I emailed Heaven Hill to plead my case to them and even mentioned that I would order two cases of it from them, if I could get it. Figure that might last me for a year if I like Mellow Corn, which I'm pretty sure I will.

Until then, I am making do with Platte Valley and the Hirsch straight corn whiskies...but I sure would like to get some 100 proof Mellow Corn.

Well, I got the official word from Tiena Haag at Heaven Hill that "Currently, there are no retail outlets in Texas that carry Mellow Corn."

Unfortunately, I already knew this.

So I emailed her back and asked why Texas is not included in the distribution list, especially since we already receive most other Heaven Hill products.

For some reason, I don't think I'm going to receive another response...

Guess it's just time to hang it up and continue to drink Old Charter since I can't get the Mellow Corn.

Well, what do you know? I did indeed receive another response from Heaven Hill:

"This is a regional product. It is available in the following states:

Georgia

Illinois

Kansas

Kentucky

New York

Tennessee"

But I know they sell it in Oklahoma and I've seen it on North Carolina's ABC list, too, so why are they providing this incomplete response?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.