I got a CRAZY Canadian Vodka/Whiskey for you - X-Four

humchan2k
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, so I have a VERY interesting product to share with y'all today...it's called X-Four. I discovered it last week while in Vancouver, BC...and I don't know what to make of it, but I sure do like it...here we go...

I am VERY tempted to put this booze in the Int'l Whiskey section, despite the fact that it is marketed as VODKA....:rolleyes: and here's why.

X-Four is a handcrafted, microdistillery product, hand bottled in Okanagan, British Columbia. That is pretty straight forward, but here's where it gets weird....they call it a "handcrafted vodka distilled 4 times," BUT, when you read it closer it states that it is made from CORN, RYE and Glacier Fed Water.......SO, it is distilled 4 times, but all the grain used is whiskey grain...which means that it's actually just 80 proof white dog whiskey, right?!!?:grin:

Whatever the case may be, it's freaking delicious. It does have a somewhat medicinal alcohol burn to the nose, but there's a strong hint of rye and licorice/anise. It drinks smoothly, and tastes of charred cereal, anise and a hint of rye as well, finishing clean. with a pleasant residual coat on the tongue. The locals at the fancy liquor store told me to drink it straight or on the rocks...and I can't complain.

Has anyone else ever seen this stuff? I've provided a picture....I may repost this elsewhere, since it's such an oddity....but if you can track it down, you should!

post-2987-14489817101859_thumb.jpg

Virtually all vodka is made from grain and they are the same grains from which whiskey is made: corn, wheat, rye, etc. Vodka can be made from anything fermentable but most vodka, worldwide, is made from those same grains. Nothing unusual about that.

Vodka is a neutral spirit. It is distilled to above 95% alcohol. Whisky is not a neutral spirit. It is distilled to below 95% alcohol, usually more like 70% alcohol to retain the grain flavors. Vodka retains virtually done of the flavors of its original ingredients.

So, no, vodka is not in any sense 80 proof whiskey white dog.

That is another difference between whiskey and vodka. Whiskey is aged, vodka is not.

I'm glad you found a vodka you like. There is not relationship between it and whiskey that is not shared by virtually every other vodka in the world.

And I hope you were well compensated for the clumsy plug.

Grand Traverse Distillery in Traverse City, Michigan makes 100% wheat and 100% rye vodkas. There are subtle taste differences between them, but nobody would mistake them for white dog. You ever had true white dog, humchan? It's a very different beast.

so I know what real white dog tastes like, actually....I like it as a white Manhattan....

Ok, so you can make Vodka from grains like rye and corn, huh? Cool, I didn't know that.

Now that I got the appreciation for the education comment out of the way, I got something else to say to Cowdery, because I do not believe in sacred cows/untouchables on the internet....and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but seriously...

Cowdery - you're caustic and I am sure that a lot of people don't come back here to chat or learn because of your attitude. You find a way to take someone's excitement or eagerness to share something cool they found in their travels and you proceed to call them a sales person for some Canadien booze? Get over yourself, please. You're crotchety, unpleasant,and while I am sure you could tell me or anyone else who will listen just how much you know, (which I will say is impressive in itself), your attitude is ridicuous and just plain assholish. Again, get over yourself. Seriously.

Your post read like a press release. Chuck just posted what many of us were thinking after reading about the awesome vodkawhiskey. :rolleyes:

Didn't even need to read the whole opening post to know what was going on.

Chuck, caustic? He often is. But not in this thread.

Every legend needs a distinctive nickname.

Chuck "Crotchety" Cowdery......it does have a nice ring though.

Hey Chuck, when I see you next will you autograph your jazz book for me that way (I picked it up a few months ago, but we haven't had a Binny's get together since then).

Tom

Chuck, I think this is a case of all or nothing......I don't know what it is but I'm having trouble dealing with you as just a "Crotch".

Tom

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.