Questions to ask when visiting a micro-distillery

GOCOUGS2002
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A couple weeks ago I posted about a micro-distillery I found in Woodinville Washington; while I posted what I could get out of the host I found myself searching, while on location, for questions to ask that would allow me to inform the community on a new found operation.

I would like to query the vast knowledge base here and come up with a list of questions that would allow a visitor to get the most out of an inpromptu visit and provide us the 411 of what we can expect out of that distillery, much like Randy's post on Garrison Brothers Distillery a few years back.

I'll start the list off with:

Mashbill

Proof off the still

Proof into the barrel

Proof into the bottle

Size of barrel

Aging process (Temperature controlled warehouse or natural)

States expected to receive product

Barrels specs: terroir, toast level, char level?

Yeast strain and why selected?

Enzymes or au natural.

Plans: where do you want to be in five years?

How often do you make whiskey? Daily? Weekly?

What's your background? Where did you learn how to do this?

Is there anything about your operation that's original or unique?

Environmental impact; green cred?

Why did you paint the building that color?

Who's your tailor?

Does my ass look fat in these pants?

Dan Garrison was very open about his whole operation; he shared with us answers on all the questions you and Chuck posted. Others, may consider this more confidential information. Please do ask away - you will probably be the first "tourist" to do so. Looking forward to hearing about what they are up to. Sounds like WA state is becoming a hot bed of craft distilling.

Man I wish I used those questions when I was visiting House Spirits in Portland. They were actually a real nice great bunch of guys.

I would say you will probably get farther and have a better experience if you just approach the conversation as one enthusiast to another.

I find if someone comes in with a laundry list of questions I am more hesitant with them because I don't know what their angle is. However, if someone is obviously interested in what we are doing I am much more likely to "share the secrets" and "sample the good stuff."

Have you lost weight? You've never looked better.

Who does your hair?

Do you chill filter?

Do you chillax?

I would say you will probably get farther and have a better experience if you just approach the conversation as one enthusiast to another.

I find if someone comes in with a laundry list of questions I am more hesitant with them because I don't know what their angle is. However, if someone is obviously interested in what we are doing I am much more likely to "share the secrets" and "sample the good stuff."

I think the questions allow us to form our conversation as an enthusiast while being able to acheive greater understanding of the process. I hope someone wouldn't show up with a word document and read line by line as that wasn't the intent of the question.

• 1 month later...

I think I am going to the Woodinville Whiskey Company tomorrow? They also have an age your own whiskey set???? I just do not know if I want to spring for it.

• 4 months later...
Mashbill

Proof off the still

Proof into the barrel

Proof into the bottle

Size of barrel

Aging process (Temperature controlled warehouse or natural)

States expected to receive product

If they make other products, do they use the same yeast for all products?

Char level of barrels

barrel supplier (might not be IS if they use smaller barrels)

Where do the barrels go after use?

Time aged

Distill from mash or wort?

I would guess many micro distiller may have come from a brewing background or even have a relationship with a brewery. Wort is comfortable for brewers, where mash may seem...weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard of a micro-distillery having distiller's beer piped in from a brewery next door. I think it is illegal for it to be shipped by tanker truck in that state.

I'm not sure what law would prevent a brewer from selling wash to a distiller, or a distiller from buying it, assuming everyone is properly licensed. I imagine the obstacles are more practical than legal, as wash has a limited shelf life, but if you know of some specific legal impediment, please cite it.

Ask them what distinguishes their product from all of the others. Does it have a unique flavor or aroma? If so, does their label explain the uniqueness? Are they doing anything uniques to make a unique product? Above all, let them know who you are and why you are interested in their distillery. Are you a competitor or just a consumer? Honesty is essential.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.