Info on Shenandoah Whiskey?

Griffer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Bought a nearly full bottle of 100 Proof Shenandoah "Double Copper Distilled" Whiskey for $2 at an estate sale. That is total amount of information on the one label. No embossing on the bottle, save for a "2" on the base. Could be as old as 1915 - 1918. Bottle with raised seam and lots of bubbles and blisters in base. Blond whiskey, very tasty, smooth as silk.

Any knowledge out there?

post-6801-14489817111278_thumb.jpg

This person contacted me privately and I already looked at pre-pro.com and found Gilt Edge Bottling and it's their years in business, according to directory listings, that leads to the 1915-1918 estimate, I presume.

If you're genuinely looking for information, it's a good idea to tell everything you already know and how you know it or why you believe it.

These labels that contain so little information are interesting and one can only speculate about why they are that way. That is a strong indication of pre-pro origins, though, because during and after Prohibition labeling was much more regulated.

Man, you are indeed crotchety. Of course, I'm "genuinely looking for information." What the hell else would I be doing? I happen to be looking for MORE information. You were very helpful and I thanked you for it (and do here again), but it wasn't the end all and be all. Sorry if I offended you by not giving credit. Really, I am.

Griffer,

Why don't you post something in the new to straight bourbon forum so we know a little about you...

If I read Chuck's post correctly he was just asking you to provide background information on what you already know, not give him credit for giving it to you (although that would be prudent as well). This cuts down on someone else going to Pre-pro and doing the same leg work Chuck had already done for you.

What the hell else would I be doing?

That comment exemplifies Crotchety or assholish

What the hell else would I be doing?

The answer is: trying to sell it

Forgive us if we are not very loose with our favors when it comes to helping brand new members research their "found" bottles. For every sincere inquiry there are many more interested in making a quick buck.

Once bitten, you know.

Sorry, if I stepped on any toes. On second thought I realized Cowdry was in the main asking for a fuller account.

I have no interest in selling it - by the shot or otherwise. My interest is in slowly drinking it down to an empty bottle, along with the 1942 Green River Kentucky Bourbon I bought at the same sale. At least, it appears to be 1942 by the code on the bottle base.

I would say though that "What the hell else would I be doing?" seems like a fair question when all I was doing was asking for information, not asking for a sale, and particularly as I had inadvertently neglected the info provided by Cowdry as it would have done nothing but add to the value if I were trying for a sale. If I was interested in selling or a value I would have asked for it.

One reason I'm interested in uncovering info on this brand is that I'm having a hard time believing I stumbled across the thing for only $2. Another is the haunting feeling that as soon as I invite some buddies over for a sip of "pre-Prohibition 100 proof American whiskey" I'll immediately discover that it's really a novelty item that was bottled in 1978 for sale in a Bonanza themed amusement park.

In the mean time, aside from irritating the hell out of the forum, I have uncovered some more info on the brand if folks are interested, although some of it may be same name, different folks.

The bottle with its raised seams, bubbles and blisters in the base, and the suction scar on the base seems to indicate it was manufactured on an early Owens automated bottle mold - http://www.sha.org/bottle/bases.htm#Machine-made%20bottles - which could well put it within the early decades of the 20th century as suggested by Col. Cowdry.

There is also this link:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/American%20Medicinal%20Spirits%20Company/miscellaneous_distillers.htm

Listing a Shenandoah Whiskey "first used in commerce" in 1878 and with a "Registration Date July 17, 1934 Owner (REGISTRANT) PENN-MARYLAND, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 52 WILLIAM ST. NEW YORK NEW YORK."

The logo depicted is very different with an elaborate font, but could be a later incarnation as the brand is bought and sold over the years.

There is also this:

http://www.whiskyparadise.com/dettaglio-whisky.asp?IDArticolo=3402

Which seems closer to the mark as it is also 100 proof and the fonts are in the same family, but it is clearly a much later incarnation. The web site belongs to an Italian collector in Bologna. I've emailed him asking what he knows about this bottle but probably no more than what the site says. Oddly, this bottle appears post-pro and was bottled by National Distillers but I've found no mention of Shenandoah on sites about ND's brands.

One reason I'm interested in uncovering info on this brand is that I'm having a hard time believing I stumbled across the thing for only $2. Another is the haunting feeling that as soon as I invite some buddies over for a sip of "pre-Prohibition 100 proof American whiskey" I'll immediately discover that it's really a novelty item that was bottled in 1978 for sale in a Bonanza themed amusement park.

In the mean time, aside from irritating the hell out of the forum, I have uncovered some more info on the brand if folks are interested, although some of it may be same name, different folks.

The bottle with its raised seams, bubbles and blisters in the base, and the suction scar on the base seems to indicate it was manufactured on an early Owens automated bottle mold - http://www.sha.org/bottle/bases.htm#Machine-made%20bottles - which could well put it within the early decades of the 20th century as suggested by Col. Cowdry.

There is also this link:

http://www.bottlebooks.com/American%20Medicinal%20Spirits%20Company/miscellaneous_distillers.htm

Listing a Shenandoah Whiskey "first used in commerce" in 1878 and with a "Registration Date July 17, 1934 Owner (REGISTRANT) PENN-MARYLAND, INC. CORPORATION DELAWARE 52 WILLIAM ST. NEW YORK NEW YORK."

The logo depicted is very different with an elaborate font, but could be a later incarnation as the brand is bought and sold over the years.

There is also this:

http://www.whiskyparadise.com/dettaglio-whisky.asp?IDArticolo=3402

Which seems closer to the mark as it is also 100 proof and the fonts are in the same family, but it is clearly a much later incarnation. The web site belongs to an Italian collector in Bologna. I've emailed him asking what he knows about this bottle but probably no more than what the site says. Oddly, this bottle appears post-pro and was bottled by National Distillers but I've found no mention of Shenandoah on sites about ND's brands.

Great research and post; thank you for bringing the history of this bottle to life, I look forward to the response from the Italian collector.

Don't worry about your buddies, if it tastes good they shouldn't care if it came before or after prohibition.

The perils of instant communication.

The only reason I commented was because I thought you might be jumping to conclusions based on the rather thin information I gave you. There's nothing wrong with proposing a conclusion in matters of this sort if you explain how you reached it and what evidence supports it. As you appeared to be basing your conclusion on something you got from me I decided to say something.

This is exactly how I've earned my bad reputation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.