Icicle Hunting

pepcycle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Perfect Icicles are forming on gutters and cliffsides in the Northeast.

Today, I hunt.

I'm going to put them is a cooler with dry ice and keep them for chilling cocktails in the summer.

There are some big enough to chill a punch bowl.

What's the best way to get them down intact from 20 ft up?

BB gun or pellet gun maybe. Catch them with a blanket when they fall. :lol: Joe

Make your own. Some kind of syphon drip thingee. You can control the size, and water quality, then. I would think you risk contaminants with "Nature's Own". Not anything that would hurt you, necessarily, but dirt and grit residue in your glass after melting. Now, I love to chew on the grit from the end of a Stagg bottle...Dirt, not so much. Though, that might be quite complementary with some BT's. :D

Its just noon and I have my bag limit of icicles.

A four pointer was damaged landing in the tarp but the Crossman Medalist performed perfectly in spite of the cold. (4 pumps was perfect)

I'm testing a frag in a small pour of Russell's Reserve. I do detect a little squirrel fewmet, but its not unpleasant.

post-51-14489817142785_thumb.jpg

post-51-14489817143216_thumb.jpg

The icicle season is way too short.

I'm very afraid the DEC in NY will get wind of this and not only put a bag limit, but start charging

a fee for tags and institute mandatory reporting.

Apparently, the out of control icicle population and the senseless melting that will occur in a few days isn't being recognized by the conservationists.

Its just a matter of time before the icicle cruelty prevention folks will be protesting the thinning of the herd and I'll be marked as a murderer.

Its not like I'm senselessly hunting these and leaving them to melt in the woods.

My family depends on icicles.

We have a freezer full and hope they last us through the summer.

I whacked a bunch of 'em today.

The bastards were just hanging from the roof of my house above the doorway just waiting to fall and pierce a person.

I don't care if I don't have the required license to "harvest" these vermin, I have a family to protect.

I say go screw yourself to the so called Icicle Protection groups that want me to drink my soda pop with out ice!!!

I've been stalking a 4 in thick, 5 footer for a few days now.

Haven't been able to get close enough for a clean shot with drifts and bad lighting

Don't want to risk maiming it. Gotta be a clean kill.

While I was checking on him (That's right, a buckcicle) late this afternoon, I was apalled to find he had been poached!!

Illegally harvested in broad daylight from my property.

Probably picked off from the road. They left the carcass shattered on my back deck.

I had to clean it up before The Patty saw it and started cyring. She had become attached to it.

Dam Poachers

I'm doing my best to help you out Big Ed. I've been keeping my eyes on a big buckcicle in hopes I might share my bounty with you. The big problem, is that it's on my neighbors property. I fear for my safety if I venture too far across our property line. He's somewhat of a jerk, and I'm sure he would sick his two butt ugly pug dogs on me. I just know the mongrels would chew my feet off at the ankles. :lol: Here's a couple of pics to drool over. Cheers! Joe

post-3455-14489817143662_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489817143878_thumb.jpg

I've got no chance of participating in the hunt... even in our coldest winter, but y'all are making me feel so much cooler in our oppressive summer heat by just looking at those pictures :cool:

@Joe,

That looks like a trophy to me.

I'd love to bag that and score it.

The formula is 5 X top circumference in inches, plus the length in inches. Points are deducted for opacity, irregularities and visible contamination. Tiebreaker is taste.

Fat beats long in this neck of the woods.

Touching the ground may disqualify it. I can't really tell from the photo if its column or if stalagmite and stalactite are approaching.

I was thinking of hiring a guide and heading up your way.

BTW: If his gutter isn't posted, which mine are, you may be able to harvest that one without asking permission. Local conservation rules differ.

How very "Ted Nugent" of you to say so.

Enjoying the Pennsylvania weather, Marc? :lol:

Absolutely! Grew up in it and would rather be here than be in mono season SoCal.

So sorry to disappoint you.

So sorry to disappoint you.

I'm sure you wouldn't be if you actually had. :cool:

Anyway, it takes only two clicks to add me to your ignore list. Consider it.

Sorry I can't add much due to lack of experience, the season here is only a few days a year and even then they are scarce.

Quite large tusks hanging there..sometimes you get the two or three pointer ice tusk.

Just remember that snow and ice water is not very clean...a lot of dust, dirt etc. depending on the air quality around you.

I can breathe it, but I can't eat it. Rather have in my stomach than in my lungs.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hey Smokin' Joe,

I set up a 5 gallon jug on its side with a cork and rag in the top.

Think giant malatov cocktail on its side.

The first man-made ice stalactite is growing nicely and perfectly clear and pure.

Would these be a Testicle?:skep:

I'm doing my best to help you out Big Ed. I've been keeping my eyes on a big buckcicle in hopes I might share my bounty with you. The big problem, is that it's on my neighbors property. I fear for my safety if I venture too far across our property line. He's somewhat of a jerk, and I'm sure he would sick his two butt ugly pug dogs on me. I just know the mongrels would chew my feet off at the ankles. :lol: Here's a couple of pics to drool over. Cheers! Joe

Update on that big buckcicle. The big boy must have been pretty old. I think he knew the end was near. He jumped off my neighbors roof yesterday and said goodbye cruel world. :frown: Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.