Brown-Forman Launches Collingwood Canadian Whisky

dbk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Brown-Forman is poised to launch a new Canadian whisky: Collingwood.

Collingwood is undoubtedly produced by Brown-Forman's Canadian Mist distillery, and seems to be making use of the maple barrels from Woodford Reserve's most recent Masters Collection release.

I checked the COLA registry, and there's no age statement. They're really pushing the maple wood finish—maple being prototypically "Canadian" to an outsider, I suppose—and the "smoothness" of the whisky, though they don't suggest you drink it neat ("can be enjoyed on the rocks or mixed in a whisky cocktail").

I'd be interested to hear any reviews, especially from the Canadian Mist drinkers out there, who might be uniquely positioned to compare it to the "house" product.

My agency promotes this brand. While it's not my personal favorite, it sells rather well.

As far as I can tell from our materials (which are admittedly vague) it appears that the maple is coming from the JD Distillery, i.e. they are using sugar maple charcoal. My coworker and I had a pretty long discussion about this last night actually. The original product description we received said charcoal, not "toasted" sugar maple, and was changed in the next iteration of descriptions. Guess they didn't want to step on their own toes? We're not sure. Regardless I wish I knew more because it feels odd selling a whisky you don't know in and out (like I do, for instance, WR or GJ/JDSB)

Granted, I could be wrong. Using the maple barrels from the WRMCMF would be a lot cooler than charcoal. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the MF is a very limited release and Collingwood is a mass release. That's a lot of maple barrels.

When I first saw the image, I thought it was a bottle of cologne.

collingwood.png

That's basically what everyone says during my promos :lol:

it appears that the maple is coming from the JD Distillery, i.e. they are using sugar maple charcoal... The original product description we received said charcoal, not "toasted" sugar maple, and was changed in the next iteration of descriptions.

Interesting. It could be marketing—pretending the maple charcoal is actually "toasted" maple—or it could have been an error in the original materials.

Granted, I could be wrong. Using the maple barrels from the WRMCMF would be a lot cooler than charcoal. Just doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the MF is a very limited release and Collingwood is a mass release. That's a lot of maple barrels.

True enough, but since the maple's just for finishing, there may be enough to go around. The WRMC barrels were toasted, so it fits the description. Moreover, Brown-Forman has its own cooperage, and could be making more barrels. But honestly, I don't know. It is intriguing that the story changed from charcoal to toasted sugar maple, but again it could just be due to an error in the initial materials.

That's basically what everyone says during my promos :lol:

My comment wasn't intended as a dig, just a first impression

(tho' it's nice to hear it wasn't only me!)

I'll be glad to try some if/when it becomes available in my area.

...maple being prototypically "Canadian" to an outsider, I suppose...

I don't know. Maybe it's the flag.

The official description terminology is: "In Collingwood’s unique finishing step, the whisky rests with toasted Maplewood to complete its smooth character."

That description excludes the Daniel's process, which uses Maple charcoal, not toasted Maplewood. It could mean they used the MC barrels, which were toasted, not charred. You kind of think if it involved actual barreling, though, the word "barrel" would have been used, but maybe not. They're being deliberately vague for some reason.

It's also possible they are using toasted Maple chips after the whiskey has been tanked, or a process similar to Daniel's, but using toasted Maple chips rather than charcoal.

I had an early taste of this and was asked to give my feedback. Here's what I wrote: "Maybe it was the mention of 'Maplewood mellowing' that suggested it, but I got a milder version of the overripe banana aroma I associate with Jack Daniel’s on the nose. No Jack on the palate. Buttery mouth feel. More flavorful than a typical Canadian but the flavors are soft, not sharp. Also less vanilla, more emphasis on fruit flavors like apricot. Almost liqueur-like in its richness."

By contrast, their Canadian Mist Black Diamond, released last year, is more flavorful but the flavors are pretty sharp, indicative of the product's youth.

The packaging suggests they're trying to appeal to a broad distilled spirits audience, not specifically Canadian whisky drinkers, and may even be trying to capture some of the micro-distillery cachet.

I have some answers from Brown-Forman.

Collingwood is the town in Ontario where the Canadian Mist Distillery is located. They are making barrels from Maple wood and toasting them at the Brown-Forman Cooperage in Louisville. The barrels are similar to what they used for Woodford but they're not saying it's actually those barrels. No reason it can't be.

"These barrels are then disassembled and shipped to Collingwood, where they are added to the final blend of the Collingwood Whisky, imparting their toasted Maplewood character, for a time that is determined by our Master Distiller/Blender."

The disassembled barrels go into the tank with the whiskey, like loose tea in a tea pot, until it has steeped to perfection. That's the process.

Fantastic, Chuck! Thanks for getting to the bottom of this, and thanks for the tasting notes. It sounds like it's worth a try, at the very least.

I have some answers from Brown-Forman.

Collingwood is the town in Ontario where the Canadian Mist Distillery is located. They are making barrels from Maple wood and toasting them at the Brown-Forman Cooperage in Louisville. The barrels are similar to what they used for Woodford but they're not saying it's actually those barrels. No reason it can't be.

"These barrels are then disassembled and shipped to Collingwood, where they are added to the final blend of the Collingwood Whisky, imparting their toasted Maplewood character, for a time that is determined by our Master Distiller/Blender."

The disassembled barrels go into the tank with the whiskey, like loose tea in a tea pot, until it has steeped to perfection. That's the process.

That was another suspicion I had as well. Glad that's cleared up!

I don't know; just looking at that bottle I can almost taste the smell of over powering perfume.

Every time I see the word "Collingwood" in this thread title, I keep thinking you all are talking about my favorite Australian Rules Football team: The Collingwood Magpies. But alas....

DrinkHacker offers a review. Opening with:

"Never mind what's inside Collingwood: You don't get very

far without admiring the bottle. I know I'm a sucker for a

nice decanter, but this thing is ridiculous, like an overgrown

Chanel bottle or a glass, whisky-filled Zippo."

but they do give it an A- rating.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.