Ultimate Factories: Jack Daniel's

silverfish
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

JD fans might want to catch the March 10th episode of

Ultimate Factories on Nat'l. Geographic channel:

"Ultimate Factories travels to Lynchburg, Tennessee, where tradition

and technology intersect to make 150 million bottles of Jack Daniel's

Old No. 7 each year. The factory holds enough whiskey to fill 3 million

bottles at any given time, fermented with yeast that descends from

the same used in the original batch 140 years ago."

From the same people who wrote Jimmy Bedford's talking points when he stated in an interview that the Jack Daniels made today tasted exactly the same as the original.

They don't push too hard on the really dubious stuff like that. They resort pretty quickly to, "well, that's the legend."

The funny thing about all of these claims to ancient recipes is that no one in his or her right mind would want whiskey now to taste the way it tasted in 1866.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't have National Geographic and are web-savvy, the episode of Ultimate Factories is available on your usual BitTorrent channels

I just finished watching this and would recommend it to any

whiskey fan (JD or otherwise). It covers almost all aspects

of the whiskey making process and is quite informative.

Future airdates (EST I believe) on NatGeo are

March 17th - 6pm, 9pm

March 18th - 12am

March 24th - 5pm

Found a HD version to download and view. It looks awesome from what glimpses I've had..... Now if only they could cover all of Kentucky's distilleries :grin:

Watched last night! Very cool! My favorite part was watching the barrel production process :D

Watched last night! Very cool! My favorite part was watching the barrel production process :D

I watched the show this evening and really enjoyed it. My wife paid attention and seemed amazed at the process. It has been a while since I have had Old No. 7 on my bar. I plan on picking up a bottle and having a pour while watching the show again. Thanks for posting this thread silverfish.

Jim

This was a very enjoyable program. It is always fun to see a glimpse of the inner working of these big distilleries.

I especially liked hearing Mr Arnett repeatedly state this is very much the same whiskey as when Jack himself was making it. Really? One thing I know for sure, he is definitely a company man.

The thing that caught my attention is they seemed to be saying that the whiskey is barreled at 140 proof. Could this really be the case? I note that the label does not use the term "straight whiskey"; perhaps this means they are exempt from the requirement that it be barreled at 125 proof or lower.

Is that what they say, 140 proof? I haven't figured out how to turn on the sound after my computer was moved.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.