BOTM: 3/11 Old Fitzgerald BIB

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay folks, I just made it under the wire. I really debated on this one. I was really excited about this as BOTM. Then, last night, as I started to post it, I realized that it had already been done back in August of 2005. My bad. I missed this one when I was transposing Silverfish's list. Today I said, "What the heck!" I'll do it anyway. :rolleyes:

New, old, in-between. Let's hear it for Old Fitz BIB! :grin:

This month I will leave my taste notes out for the most part (At least for now.) I will only say that the current version is good. A great value pour. The older version(s) is, well... great. 'Nuff Ced. ;) Cheers! Joe

current version - relatively difficult to find in houston. anyway, as for the current version, it's been a while but if my memory is correct, straight out of the bottle, neat, the smell of alcohol dominates and it is simple and thin with a short finish. letting it breath a bit and a splash of water improves it greatly though. good value but i think there are better value pours out there. however, being partial to wheaters, i was going to the current OF BIB fairly regularly for a while. i have several bottles in my bunker but i doubt i will add anymore.

Does anyone know if this can be found in Georgia? I haven't seen it and would love to pick up a bottle to try if it can be found.

Thanks!

Jack

Boatloads of this on the shelves around here. Never pulled the trigger, but this gives me an excuse. I'll stop by and pick one up on the way home tomorrow. :grin:

Current DSP-KY-1 liter bottled in 2009: Nose seems muted, balanced yet mid-palate flavors are a bit mild. Like the finish the most, with touches of maple and cinnamon. It's okay. I bought this bottle 6 months ago, and doubt that I would buy it again. When it comes to entry-level wheaters, I choose something Weller.

DSP-KY-16 200ml bottled in 1993(UPC 88076): Much more buttery/velvety texture in the mid-palate. More caramel, with a longer finish with lingering allspice and clove. (Found 10 bottles for $2.99 each. The store had everything behind glass, and I had to keep asking owner to hold the bottle closer so I could verify the DSP number. A line of customers was forming behind me and as I was gathering my bottles one VERY drunk customer yelled out, "He's gonna get f--ked up tonight!" This was around 10:00am. Priceless.:cool: )

DSP-KY-16 750ml bottled in 1985(UPC88508): Much sweeter nose, with a fat middle. Toffee, maple, with a slightly woody finish. Decadent. Best of the bunch. (Found 6 of these for $13.10 a bottle 2 days before last x-mas.)

Love this BOTM choice! Lots of fun to do, but it does leave me wondering as to how much my mind came into play with this tasting. Later this month I'll have my wife set up a blind tasting so that I won't be staring at that DSP number the whole time. Who knows what the results will be then.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can barely find Old Fitz, let alone BIB, I'm out this month, so I'm gonna repeat last months selection.

The store had everything behind glass, and I had to keep asking owner to hold the bottle closer so I could verify the DSP number. A line of customers was forming behind me and as I was gathering my bottles one VERY drunk customer yelled out, "He's gonna get f--ked up tonight!" This was around 10:00am. Priceless.:cool: )

DSP-KY-16 750ml bottled in 1985(UPC88508): Much sweeter nose, with a fat middle. Toffee, maple, with a slightly woody finish. Decadent. Best of the bunch. (Found 6 of these for $13.10 a bottle 2 days before last x-mas.)

Love this BOTM choice! Lots of fun to do, but it does leave me wondering as to how much my mind came into play with this tasting. Later this month I'll have my wife set up a blind tasting so that I won't be staring at that DSP number the whole time. Who knows what the results will be then.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Love that story! I don't know about you, but I could pick out that SW bottling from the rest every time . I love the sweetness married with the uniqueness of DSP16 yeast flavor.

Picked up a bottle today. Left 23 others sitting on the shelf. $14.99. For comparison purposes Weller SR is $15.99, Weller Antique $20.99, and Weller 12 $26.99. Not going to get a chance to taste this evenening as I have preview night at my daughter's school, but I think I will be hitting it tomorrow and doing a side by side with the Weller SR. Can't wait to post results.

I don't care for it at all at any price.

Heaven Hill has definitely failed as the caretaker of this historic label.

I don't care for it at all at any price.

Heaven Hill has definitely failed as the caretaker of this historic label.

You would think it could be better considering how great a job they did with the 2010 Parkers Heritage wheater. Pappy would not approve of the current bottling.:frown:

You would think it could be better considering how great a job they did with the 2010 Parkers Heritage wheater. Pappy would not approve of the current bottling.:frown:

You have to think that he would approve of the PHC 2010.

You have to think that he would approve of the PHC 2010.

Certainly, but you'd think HH could pull off a moderately priced wheater. Current Old Fitz suggests they can't.

Possibly the first time ever that I've had the BOTM in the correct month -- coincidentally, last night I poured an Old Fitz BIB from a "Blarney" decanter, distilled 1964/bottled 1970.

A little more burn than the best I've had of that era, and sharper -- more almonds than cherries in the nose -- but still a complex and wonderful bourbon.

(I'm with Oscar on the current HH version -- no redeeming qualities whatsoever to my taste.)

I'd have to say that I'm a fan. There's nothing spectacular about it. It's just a decent 4 year old, wheated bourbon, bottled in bond. If you compare it to Parkers Heritage, or S-W stuff from years ago, then you are comparing it to things that cost a lot more. How about comparing Old Fitz to Makers Mark?

Or Rebel Yell for that matter. The last bottle of recently released Fitzgerald Prime I bought was demoted to mixer.

Certainly, but you'd think HH could pull off a moderately priced wheater. Current Old Fitz suggests they can't.

I agree with you.

Got a bottle coming from Binny's. Should have it next week and I can give it a try.

My dad weaned me on Old Fitz circa 1970, and I bought this hoping to revive my taste for that SW product. My disappointment in the current Old Fitz led me to this site. Having now sampled several Wellers and Van Winkles, I can barely tolerate this Old Fitz BIB, which embarrasses my late father's VVOF now in my bar. In Chicagoland, Old Fitzgerald BIB sells for about $15 from the bottom shelf, where it belongs; pay a few bucks more and move up a shelf or two to a Weller.

My sentiments exactly Charlie. By the way the first drink of Fitzgerald my Father and I had together was in 1970 upon my return from Vietnam.

Old Fitzgerald BIB sells for about $15 from the bottom shelf, where it belongs; pay a few bucks more and move up a shelf or two to a Weller.
[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have to admit that BT hasn't done a bad job at all with respect to the Weller label, HH could learn a thing or two from them as far as wheaters go.

I had a pour of Old Fitz BIB from DSP 16 last night and man the butterscotch and caramel were fantastic. It has a velvety thickness to it that you just don't get from today's bourbons...man oh man I wish SW was still producing bourbon! :(

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.