What Rum Do You Drink Neat?

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ron Anejo Anniversario Pampero. Dark, smooth and delicious from Venezuela. And, the squatty roundish bottle comes in the coolest leather pouch. cool.gif

JOE

I picked up some Hallmark of St. James 25yo Demerara Rum, from Guyana, a while back. Wow! It has a smoky-sweet flavor to it, with a bit of spiciness to it as well. It's a very nice change of pace when I'm not in a whisky mood.

The only other rum I've tried was Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum, and it's also quite good neat.

• 4 weeks later...

I second the nomination of the Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum. it's about $30-$35 USD and it's fantastic neat. I highly recommend it. Zacapa makes a 25 year version as well, but I haven't had any luck tracking that one down.

I second the nomination of the Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum.

Actually, you third this nomination. I mentioned it in the first page of this thread, user halpap was the 2nd.

I have read that unlike bourbon, rum producers state the oldest aged rum for the bottle that it contains. So Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum could be a blend of many different age barrels with at least some being 23 years old.

Hmmm. Interesting. I wondered about that when I purchased it for $30. I saw a Appleton Estate bottle aged 21 years at $80. I wonder if that is the difference. One is a blend of agees while one is a pure 21 year old rum. I'll have to investigate rum a little bit more.

I treid my Ron Zacapa 23 year again last night and was a bit disappointed. It tasted better the first time I tried it. This time it seemed, too "syrupy".

• 3 weeks later...

Rhum Barbancourt 15 year old is my personal favorite.

Pyrat XO Reserve is incredibly smooth, but a bit too fruity for my tastes, but very impressive nonetheless.

Hands-down, best ever sippin' rum: Casa Bacardi! Truly unique flavor.

Came in a very pretty, square-cut decanter with a cork stopper. Back label was hand numbered. If I remember correctly, it cost only $25 a bottle.

Cannot find it any longer. If anyone has seen it around, be sure to let me know!!

bowdown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Best rum I've ever had was the Appleton 21. Cloves and baked apples on the palate. Aftertaste that goes on, and on, and on. Don't like the price though (C$80 in Ontario). I do like the buttery taste characteristic of Dominican rums, and a default choice of mine is Brugal extra viejo. Rougher than the Appleton mentioned above, but with as sharp or sharper flavours. The cloves do come out her quite pronounced!

Rum Matusalem 15 is good value up here. A little light on the flavours, but really smooth. I'd recommend for an "everyday pour"...

I just orddered this rum,= and I can't wait to try it! I tried and own the Ron Zacapa 23 year, but it's not really a 23 year but the rums mixed to make it COULD be up to 23 years old. Regardless, it's pretty good, but I am hoping to get even better with appleton 21.

The Zacapa 23 is 23 years old and having it and the Appleton 21 I have to give the edge to the Zacapa. Although, they are very different in flavor so YMMV.

I rarely use rum except in cooking or to mix drinks for guests when I use a common brand. I do keep a bottle of Barcardi eight year old on hand in case some knowledgable guest wants something special.

Regards,

Squire

I have the zacapa 23 and was bewildered about its low price for what is called a 23 year old rum. Other TRUE 23 year rums are well over $200. So, I emailed the company that makes it directly and they said the rum is UP to 23 years old. So, basically it's a blend of different age rums of up to 23 year olds. Hmmm....oh well, it's still good!

I can seriously say I have had only three Rums that I know of...Barcardi, Bundaberg(come on I'm an Aussie-haha falling.gif), and an excellent drop made by a small micro, it's called Beenleigh. It's actually a town in southern Queensland(I think, might be far north New South Wales) and the town has been named after the distillery not the other way around.

I don't think that you would be able to get this in the US but if I was to have a Rum again, this would be the one!

Tim, Peter and I got together on Friday evening, 12-9-5 for a row of Rhums and Rums. We did 7 total, they were:

1. Lemon Hart, 151 proof, nas, 4/5 quart bottle, red US federal tax stamp, made in Guyana. Color was extremely dark.

2. Zaya, 12yo, 100ml bottle, 80 proof, Gran Reserva, made in Guatemala. Color is dark.

3. St. James, 86 proof, nas, 750ml bottle, made in Martinique. Color is dark.

4. Musee Du Rhum, 7yo, 80 proof, 375ml or 500 ml bottle (not sure) made in Guadalupe. Color is dark.

5. Sea Wynde, 92 proof, nas, 750ml bottle, pot stilled, made in Jamaica. Color is medium dark.

6. Plantation, 8yo, 750ml bottle, forgot to note proof, made in Jamaica. Color is medium.

7. Thompson's Port Morant, 10yo, 92 proof, copper pot stilled, made in Guyana. Color is white wine.

8. The "Vatting" was the last thing we did with the remainders in each glass, Gillman would have been proud of us!

I'll post some simple tasting notes with the next picture.

We had a blast Friday night. I had a bit of time to spend on Saturday to do some bottle hunting' at a little liquor store over on the peninsula, I found a couple that were affordable and interesting along with a Joseph Finch bourbon to boot!

Best regards, dougdog

post-929-14489812156534_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Out huntin' at one of my favorite dusty bottle stores and found these two beauties...Old bottlings for sure...

I developed a list of rums/rhums to look for from the posts on this thread, some 36 of 'em....thanks to all who posted...I forgot the list when hunting today so i'll need to go back and see what is still on the shelf and compare to the list.

I think there are a few there that are not on the list so I'll add those when I get back with more/new purchases...

Anyway, these two bottles are done by William Cadenhead, most know for the Single Malt bottling they do. The first is a 10 year old, 46%, 750ml, white wine color...the second is a 20yo, 46%, 750ml, very dark color...both are Jamaican Rum.

Imported by Preiss when they were in the Whittier location.

best, dougdog

post-929-14489812165644_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

There is no way anyone can ever tell me that Santa Teresa 1796 (just awarded SPIRIT OF THE YEAR in the new Malt Advocate) and Pryat Cask 23 (a hefty $230 a bottle) dont qualify as the two greatest rums there are. I say this with a palate and rum bunker that has enjoyed well over 30 rums. I keep as many bottles of rum I can find on hand at all times. ST 1796 and Pryat C23 are simply the best there are. If anyone in NY wants to get together and taste a full range of rums please let me know, I share my rum just a happily as I share my Bourbon and Scotch. I also have a nice Tequlia range as well.

Thanks Joe

I did a head to head of these 2 rums a few weks ago. WOW, the RZ23 is a LOT better IMO. The AE21 was very disappoitning. It was a bit harsh, bland, no sweetness while the RZ 23 was a thing of art! Nice sweetness, smooth, creamy, and great body.

I am going to try and get the Pyrat Cask 23 and ST 1796. I hear good things about them from alot of people.

How does the Pyrat Cask 23 compare with their XO? As much as I love the XO I can't see myself paying that price for a single bottle of bourbon or rum.

• 4 weeks later...

I was just enjoying a glass of Mount Gay Eclipse and remembered this thread. I've tried some of the excellent suggestions made here but I still seem to come back to the Mount Gay or Cockspur.

I think in this case familiarity has bred contentment.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a few Barbancourt 5 stars on the shelves at a store in Tokyo and bought a bottle for about 20 bucks. I immediatly loved it upon first tasting. The only rums i ever drank before during rare occasions were the cheapy Bacardi and Capt Morgan, ill be nice and say i wasnt a fan of those. Well i could instantaneously waft, sip, and indulge in the profound difference this quality rum brings out. I read a little about the history of rum and its production and was proud that i had bought one of a few rums made from pure sugar cane juice, rather than excess molasses.

I have a question, I saw the 15 year old Barbancourt on theh shelf as well but its prige tag was in the vicinity of 38-40 dollars. Is it worth the two fold price increase over the 8 year?

I was just enjoying a glass of Mount Gay Eclipse and remembered this thread. I've tried some of the excellent suggestions made here but I still seem to come back to the Mount Gay or Cockspur.

I think in this case familiarity has bred contentment.

FYI, Cockspur VSOR is currently on sale at the LCBO at about $36 from $47-ish. Thought you might like to know...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.