George Dickel: Diageo's red headed step child.

jmpyle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I like George Dickel. I like it a lot. I find the No. 12 to be one of the best whiskey values on the planet. So can someone that is perhaps more aware of the whys inform me how Diageo can leave Dickel off of its website? I've written the company now 3 times with no response. How is this possible that one of the oldest American Whiskey brands gets not play, no push, and no love from the company that owns it?

I love it, but I'd just as soon they leave it alone. You want it to be priced like Lagavulin is now?

Brisko, I certainly don't want it priced out the wazoo, but I'd like to see them doing something with the brand. Actually, quite honestly I'm just pissed they aren't putting it on their website. Bulleit and other others are right there. It's unreal when you think about it.

And Sku, thanks as always. Will check it out. I did a search before posting, but I clearly overlooked this one. Thanks.

Brisko, I certainly don't want it priced out the wazoo, but I'd like to see them doing something with the brand.

Me to Jason, like releasing an unfiltered higher proof brand for instance.

Leif

Since when has Diageo ever done anything for the connoisseur? They're one of the most bottom-line driven companies you'll ever come across.

Since when has Diageo ever done anything for the connoisseur? They're one of the most bottom-line driven companies you'll ever come across.

Boy isn't that the truth.

Dickel 12 is a mainstay in my house. I agree that it is one of the best values to be had.

No love for the Barrel Select? (Although still a little light on proof...)

Can't stand the No. 8 and Cascade Hollow; love the No. 12, especially as a value pour. Don't care whether Diageo pushes it or not...

Diageo already did something with it: they raised the price. Before the shutdown induced shortage, the price of no.12 was 15.00 a 750. After the shortage and introduction of Cascade hollow, it went up to 22.00 a 750!

Thomas

I guess they decided those who like it will buy it and so long as it's profitable don't waste advertising dollars.

• 2 weeks later...
Diageo already did something with it: they raised the price. Before the shutdown induced shortage, the price of no.12 was 15.00 a 750. After the shortage and introduction of Cascade hollow, it went up to 22.00 a 750!

Thomas

Thomas, perhaps it is $22 in places but I find it in my area, not exactly a cheap area for whiskey, for $18.99. I've seen it in shops for $16.99 in other locations. So I wonder if this is more a situation where the area distributor or the shop is taking advantage here.

A little over $18 here, not a bad price but there are others in that range that I prefer.

I guess they decided those who like it will buy it and so long as it's profitable don't waste advertising dollars.

I think this may be the answer. I've read that Dickel's sales are what they are, and nothing much moves them. Jack is the bad boy, down home, fun loving, rock and roll iconic whiskey. :rolleyes: Dickel would have to find some other position and advertise the heck out of itself to make gains. They tried the "we taste really good" tack in the late 70's with "Water's for (fill in the blank), Dickel's for drinkin'." They showed people doing things with water (bathing, canoeing, fishing, etc.) other than put it in their smooth Dickel whiskey, which you could (by inference) drink neat.

I am not really sure taste is the most profitable way to market alcohol. Most people drink it for TOTALLY different reasons.

I am not really sure taste is the most profitable way to market alcohol. Most people drink it for TOTALLY different reasons.

Sad but true. They'd probably do better with, Drink Dickel, it will get you girls, make you cool and f*** you up.

Sad but true. They'd probably do better with, Drink Dickel, it will get you girls, make you cool and f*** you up.

It worked for vodka, am I right?

I think this may be the answer. I've read that Dickel's sales are what they are, and nothing much moves them.

That's exactly right. They give Dickel a little bit of support and took advantage of the black label 'shortage' to create the red label and raise the price on black. Flintlock has it exactly right, though, the Dickel brand sells what it sells with virtually no support and support seems not to increase sales enough to justify that support. They're probably doing a few small things to reinforce their loyal customers and leaving it at that. Less than 20 years ago they spent a lot of money trying to grow the brand and were not successful. Maybe they'll try again, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I remember the print ads from that period, remember them mostly for being unimpressive. I mean, I am a Dickel fan and I didn't care for them. The tag line, "Ain't nuthin better", while perhaps historically accurate, just sounded cheesy.

I think of McDonald's versus Burger King. McDonald's has had this very consistent advertising image for decades, whereas Burger King is completely repositioned with every new ad campaign. It's the same way with Jack and George. Jack has had this consistent image and George doesn't know what it wants to be. And McDonald's is much more successful than Burger King, just as Jack is much more successful than George.

All things considered, Diageo is probably smart to leave the brand alone.

I was mindful of that same comparison Chuck. I was reared in a Deep South Bourbon culture and George was widely considered to be a Jack copy and Dickel did little in their ads to dispel that notion. I suspect the internet has indirectly done more promotion for Dickel than they ever did on purpose.

I remember the print ads from that period, remember them mostly for being unimpressive. I mean, I am a Dickel fan and I didn't care for them. The tag line, "Ain't nuthin better", while perhaps historically accurate, just sounded cheesy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.