your favorite bottle style.

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What is your favorite style of bourbon bottle? Mine is the bottle that contains Old Forester, Buffalo Trace and Evan Williams Single Barrel. Sleek, classy looking style that is quite easy to open and pour. Second would be the "wine bottle" style that BT uses on the better bourbons and rye. Though this style can be too tall if you are putting them in cabinet.

I have to agree with you , I like the Evan williams style of bottle myself , I also like the ORVW bottles to, I wonder / wish the ORVW come in a Half Gallon size.....

Bill G.

I think I like the bottle that they use for Elmer T. Lee, Wathens Single Barrel, and Weller Centennial best of all. It seems to be halfway between Sleek and Modern & Old School. And it has those kewl grippy insents on the side for extra traction when you already have a buzz on!!

TomC

post-89-14489811168768_thumb.jpg

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff, I happen to like the 1.75 L Buffalo Trace bottle the best. You can tune it to a low G and it blows a throaty blue tone. A is good too, but that low G is just the best. No other bottle does it so good. Looks good too. - Linn cool.gif

I like the shape of wild turkey rare breed. I think that it is graceful and classy. on the other hand I think that the bottle that Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirits comes in looks too much like a clam shell.

I like the normal WT bottles the best. Not too tall, not wide. The ORVW FRR fits into this category, too. Easy to fit many of them on a shelf. Easy to hold and pour. Easy to grab by the neck.

The ones I don't like are the fat bottom bottles like OFBB and the ORVW 10 yo and 15 yo bourbons. They take up too much shelf space.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I think that the bottle that Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirits comes in looks too much like a clam shell

That was what I thought the first time I saw it. I think they were going for turkey feathers, but a shell is how it comes across. I have grown quite fond of it however. Not sure if it is because of the bottle, or what the bottle holds wink.gif

As Jeff said, I've read that the Kentucky Spirit bottle is supposed to portray a turkey's tail feathers. I have found that when it starts to look more like turkey feathers than a clam shell, that means I've had enough to drink. grin.gif

And yes, the content does affect one's perception of the bottle -- and vice-versa, I suppose. When the stopper weighs as much as the one in the KS bottle, that's gotta mean something, right?

To what degree should practicality enter in? I've poured Rare Breed the last couple of nights, and I can't find a comfortable way to grasp the bottle to pour from it. I also spill an extra drop or two, compared to more slender bottles with longer necks.

My favorite for looks is the Buffalo Trace bottle. For function, it's a tie among several of the slender styles, such as WT, ORVW FRR, and GTS.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I would have to say that the Woodford Resereve bottle looks pretty nice... I just wish they could make a bottle that won't have a little drip going down the outside of it after I pour a drink (or maybe that's just me... confused.gif )

-Chris

My favorite was always the Antique Collection bottles, but after receiving the Michters bottles I like them the best. They have the same thick glass bottom (which is something I really like) as the Antique bottles, but they have a little more shape to them. I think, based on a pic I saw on the net, this bottle was also used for a bottling called Stone Castle. I also love the bottle that was used for the Wild Turkey 17 year, but since it was used for only that bottling I'll call it my 2nd favorite.

--> Mark R.

post-87-14489811169641_thumb.jpg

They are certainly beautiful to the eye.

However, I notice that you haven't yet poured from these particular bottles. I wonder whether they feel as good as they look. I notice that all are biggest just where I would hold the bottle when pouring.

I suspect that my medium-sized hands might not allow me to hold the bottle securely in one hand while pouring. (I hate it when someone calls out "Two hands for beginners!") grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I took pictures of the unopened bottles from my collection but as I've said before, I either have/had opened bottles of many of the bottles in the collection. Usually when I order or buy a bottle for the collection I get two, one to drink and one to hold on to and display. For the Wild Turkey 17 this is not the case though due to the price for just one bottle...

The bottle (The Michters) is biggest where you would hold it looking from the front but very skinny on the sides so there is no problem holding it when pouring.

--> Mark R.

Ah ha! I get it -- sort of like the Knob Creek bottle, eh?

Do you have any plans to open the WT 17, or will it be an heirloom?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Yeah, only difference is the Michter's is more curved as it goes around the sides from the front to the back. It actually fits very nicely in the hand because of this shape.

For now I don't think I'll be opening the WT17, but I'm sure that at some time in the future I probably will. Only thing that would change that is if in many many years to come it could fetch some good money on eBay (or whatever the heck we'd call it then wink.gif ).

--> Mark R.

Your query has caused me to pay more attention to bottles. Now I'm not even sure any more what my favorite style is.

At the moment I'm looking at an attractive bottle that I emptied last night. It's Eagle Rare Single Barrel Aged 10 Years. There are several interesting and attractive aspects to this tall, Bordeaux-shaped bottle.

1. Even when empty it feels as though there's still bourbon inside. The bottom is almost an inch thick, which gives it a very substantial feel. As I poured the last drink out of it, my eyes and my hand were sending conflicting messages to my brain.

2. The bottle is adorned with both painted-on imagery and glued-on labels. There may be other bottles that are similar in this regard, but I think it's at least an unusual combination.

3. To ensure alignment of the separate front and back labels and the painted image of the eagle, there is a distinct notch in the base of the bottle. I presume that the bottling machinery has a small alignment tab that fits into this notch. If other bottles have such a notch, I've never noticed it. (I'd bet that Bettye Jo knows all about such stuff.)

4. The color scheme is very understated, consisting solely of silver on gray, with just the tiniest hint of copper in the foil that seals the cap.

5. In keeping with the patriotic aspect of the eagle, the text on the back label starts with an unattributed quote from The Declaration of Independence. It continues with general information about bourbon. Well over half way through, the subject turns to the contents of the bottle at hand. I suppose the words "sweet oaky nose and full, complex body" are as good as anything I could have come up with. However, I can think of several other bourbons that better exemplify the "full, complex body" part. To me it's the silky smoothness that sets this bourbon apart.

6. Whereas others and I have likened this bourbon to cognac, the label mentions "fine port wine".

7. In a humorous turn of phrase the label suggests drinking it neat..., or on the rocks,... or in a Manhattan, ... or in a Whiskey Sour... I guess they didn't have the nerve to say what they really meant, "Hey, Joe Gettabuzzon, listen up! This bourbon is much too good to mix with Coca Cola!")

I just now happened to notice a few remaining drops in this bottle, and I did what any of you would have done. I tipped it up and waited. It took a while, but my patience was eventually rewarded. As that tiny bit of bourbon evaporated on my tongue, the answer to the question about my favorite bottle came to me. It's always the bottle I'm drinking from now. grin.gif (Well, almost always.)

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

This style might be closer to my favorite if I didn't have such a hard time placing it in my cabinet. There is one area in the back that will allow my ERSB and Stagg bottles to stand upright, but in placing and removing these bottles I always manage to knock everything else over mad.gif My personal prejudice aside, it is a very nice bottle smirk.gif

Jeff,

My favorite bottle style is VOB, which is the same that Old Weller comes in and Buffalo Trace runs a dead heat with them.

Cheers,

Marvin

I must admit that the WR bottle is both unique and attractive. I liken it to the Knob Creek bottle. Both are nice packages, just too bad about the contents wink.gif

I agree that Buffalo Trace has a pretty bottle, and Kentucky Spirit has a way of growing on you. My least favorite, however, has to be Fighting Cock. Does anyone else have thoughts on which bottle is the least attractive, most funky marketing nightmare?

Tommy

The green labels on the bottom-shelf Jack Daniels and Evan Williams bottlings really repulse me.

Tim

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.