Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Select

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been a while since I 've tried Jack SB, so I picked one up today, a winter bottling of 1-4-11, from Rick No. L-17, barrel 11-0069. The whiskey is silky soft with only faint touches of the typical Jack (No. 7) palate. Vanillin, maple flavours and spice abound with an orange/mango-like fruit quality. A really fine dram of straight whiskey which would do Kentucky proud.

Gary

The last time I taste one, I enjoyed it too, Gary. Much more enjoyable than (the harsher) regular JD and (the much too stripped down) Gentleman Jack.

Thanks John, the Single Barrel overall seems much better than some years ago, there must be a closer focus now on the brand - perhaps heralded by the packaging change some time ago. Every bottle is somewhat different (as you know), and the particular one I mentioned is really good!

Gary

I eye this as I pass it on the shelf but have put off a purchase because I didn't want to risk disappointment.

I eye this as I pass it on the shelf but have put off a purchase because I didn't want to risk disappointment.

Same here. I'm not real sure I want to spend $44.00 on any JD product. I'm not a big fan of the regular stuff, as it is. I can drink it, but I sure don't see what all the fuss is about over "Jack Black". I'd love to taste the single barrel, but I'm not spending that much to see if I like it.

I think I'll bring one of my two bottles of 11-0069 to sampler.

Gary

Courtesy of SB member Silverfish (John Q.) in trade, I have a bottle of JDSB, a barrel he personally selected. I've maybe gotten some banana now and again in this, but I've also gotten lots of stone fruit, especially tonight: cherries in the nose and the palate, and maybe some light cinnamon, too. The nose is fresh and light, but not inconsequential. I think this is a fine whiskey.

I would also agree that it is overpriced. At $30+ I'd buy this somewhat regularly. At the $45-$50 (+!) it's hard to pull the trigger.

How does this compare to the Jack Daniels Silver Select(Export). Just curious as a friend of mine travelling through Heathrow brought a bottle of JDSS for me, but I've yet to sample any.

I too really enjoy JDSB. It is the perfect pour when you want something enjoyable, but you don't want to think about it too much. Always good, but never life-changing.

How does this compare to the Jack Daniels Silver Select(Export).

The SS is a higher proof (100) over the standard SB (94).

I've had both and find them to be similar in taste.

How does this compare to the Jack Daniels Silver Select(Export). Just curious as a friend of mine travelling through Heathrow brought a bottle of JDSS for me, but I've yet to sample any.

Open it Dave. It's pretty darn good. I'm sure you'll like it. Joe

Inspired by this thread and a sale price of $34.99 I made my first purchase of JDSB even though I'm neutral about the regular product. I'm glad I did. It's from Rick L-09, was barreled on 4/30/10 and is very very good. I find it really complex with beginning sweetness and different fruits balanced off well by wood and a lingering dryness. Last night it was what tasted best to me over a Buffalo Trace single barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old Rum. The night before if left a Dickel No. 12 in the dust. Count me as a fan.

Silver Select and Single Barrel are the exact same whiskey except for the bottling proof.

Glad you found a superlative one, T Comp. I've resolved now to bring my extra-special 11-0069 to the Gazebo gatherings at the end of April. Some bottlings are really good and by good, I mean, they stray from the normal JD palate by offering greater depth, complexity and as you said a variety of estery tastes, not just the banana taste the regular Jack can often have. I say can, because even regular JD is much improved IMO in recent years.

Gary

There are a few bottles of this at my local store. I'd guess they are the newest bottling . I can get it for $38.00. is it worth it? I'm not a big fan of JD Black, but if this stuff is worth the money, I'll try it.

As always, 'worth' is subjective. I don't buy JDSB because there are many cheaper whiskeys I like better, but I still like it and think it's a very good whiskey. When the JD folks are buying, that's what I drink.

EC 18 is definitely worth the price. anything else is a matter of taste and do ya want to taste it.

There are a few bottles of this at my local store. I'd guess they are the newest bottling . I can get it for $38.00. is it worth it? I'm not a big fan of JD Black, but if this stuff is worth the money, I'll try it.

I think it is worth it if you like variety and I find JDSB different enough to be worth it, at least on occasion. On proof and age it is certainly no bargain. It also would stand in line behind many others as my stranded on an island whiskey. Still its fruity or ester undertones make it unique and remind me a little of some of the 60's and 70's National Distillers juice I've had, only the JD then has much more pronounced char and dryness in the finish.

I think it is worth it if you like variety and I find JDSB different enough to be worth it, at least on occasion. On proof and age it is certainly no bargain. It also would stand in line behind many others as my stranded on an island whiskey. Still its fruity or ester undertones make it unique and remind me a little of some of the 60's and 70's National Distillers juice I've had, only the JD then has much more pronounced char and dryness in the finish.

Thanks. I think I'll pick up a bottle tomorrow. I'm always up for trying new stuff. I'm just not a big fan of JD. I prefer Dickel 12 to any JD I've had, but I'll keep an open mind and try the JDSB.

Sometimes you just get a superlative bottle. I bought three 11-0069's and each was somewhat different. One was silky soft and subtle, the next even more so, the last more vigorous and chewy. When you hit a great one, which I did with the first two, you know.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.