Hendrick's Gin

flintlock
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I love gin and tonics in the heat of the summer and usually drink Beefeater. But I've been looking at the Hendricks bottles and wondering if it's worth the price.

Any Hendrick's drinkers out there? What do you think of it?

I personally think Hendricks is worth the money, but if you are an avid beefeater's drinker it might not be in your style. Hendricks is pretty heavy on other botanicals and they use some cucumber which gives it more of an herbal taste. I might try and get a taste of it before you commit to a bottle.

For a G&T I prefer Gordons or Bombay. Donno why, I like other gins, Beefeater, Plymouth especially, just the tonic calls for its kin.

I do like it myself, I do think it is worth the price but it's not for everyone, I find it very floral. It's truly unique though

For a G&T I prefer Gordons or Bombay. Donno why, I like other gins, Beefeater, Plymouth especially, just the tonic calls for its kin.

I agree... more herbal gins (like Millers, Hendricks, Corsair, etc.) are better straight while sharper london dry style gins tend to do better in G&Ts.

Gin is kind of like whiskey—there are a lot of very good options out there, some being pricier than others, but most people only sample the "big" names (Beefeater, Plymouth, Bombay Saphire, Hendrick's, Tanqueray). To me, Hendrick's is sort of a "must try" gin, because it's unique (especially the strong cucumber notes) and quite good. But there are many excellent, lesser known gins as well. I'm quite fond of Victoria gin (made in Victoria, BC, Canada), but Ransom (an Old Tom style gin) and Rusty Blade are two barrel-aged gins that have received rave reviews, including from the folks at K&L.

Here's what I wrote about Hendrick's a few years ago after tasting a number of gins.

"Which brings me to Hendrick's. This product is marketed as 'a most unusual gin that is not for everyone.' By telling you how different it is, they prepare you for the fact that it isn't really all that different.

"Hendrick's has two unique ingredients in its recipe, rose petal and cucumber. Since you can't taste much cucumber when you actually eat a cucumber, it won't surprise you that there isn't much cucumber taste or aroma in the gin, but the rose petals give it an unmistakable floral quality.

"Its citrus note is more mandarin orange than lemon or lime and there is a hint of peppermint. Juniper is there, but in the background. Hendrick's is made in Scotland and though its base is neutral spirit, it has a nutty, creamy mouth feel that I associate with malt whiskey. It makes a very good martini, with excellent balance."

I'm a fan of Hendrick's...I don't drink too much gin, but always have Hendrick's and Beefeater on hand (and some Bombay Sapphire for a couple of friends that drink that).

I do like Hendrick's in a G&T, and I do like a slice of cucumber in it rather than a lime.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.