1971 Old Grand-Dad BIB Question

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just bought a 1971 sealed quart bottle of Old Grand-Dad BIB for $29.99 on eBay. First time buying bourbon on eBay. Has anyone tried Old Grand-Dad from this time and your experiences with buying bourbon on eBay.

eBay is a dirty word to a lot of SB.com'ers but I love eBay for this example here, you got a rare old bottle of excellent bourbon.

eBay has some great opportunities to get some great bottles.

I am sure you will love that '71 OGD, it is a primo bottle.

$29 is not a reasonable price, it's a great price, IMHO.

I've never had any 1970's OGD, and I'm not a bourbon expert by any stretch, but I have had ND 86 and BIB from the 80's and early 90's and I absolutely love it. If I could choose one bourbon as an everyday pour, it might be ND OGD. I have about 10 bottles bunkered and it freaks me out how little I have. I keep hunting NYC and every bottle I find make my heart sing when I see it.

You're inclining me to check eBay more often, I'd pay that for ND OGD all day long.

I assume you were able to date it with the tax stamp, yes? Out of curiosity, how old was it?

I haven't received it yet but will let you know. The date she said is from the stamp.

post-5814-14489817250518_thumb.jpg

post-5814-14489817250259_thumb.jpg

post-5814-14489817250259_thumb.jpg

post-5814-14489817250518_thumb.jpg

I have scored some pretty good buys off ebay. My favorite so far has been a 1968 Old Fitz BiB for about 65 bucks. I have gotten some ND OGD 86's for under 30 a bottle as well. I really like that juice.

That being said, I have perhaps paid quite a bit more than I should have on some bottles but I have yet to really regret an ebay purchase.

Besides, if the contents of the bottle were intended for consumption ebay would have provided me with the opportunity taste some really wonderful bourbon I otherwise may not have been able to.:grin:

Wouldn't know anything about buying off eBay (and certainly wouldn't brag about a $19.95 winning bid for a half-pint VOF!)

1970's OGD BIB is amazing, amazingly good stuff at any price, from any source -- well done.

I've never bought or sold anything on ebay...I guess I should start checking it.

For the active ebay users - is there any skepticism that you won't receive what you thought you were getting? Or worry that someone took an old bottle and just filled it up with something else? I know that I would be worried about that.

I've never bought or sold anything on ebay...I guess I should start checking it.

For the active ebay users - is there any skepticism that you won't receive what you thought you were getting? Or worry that someone took an old bottle and just filled it up with something else? I know that I would be worried about that.

I have purchased a couple of bottles off eBay and even a decanter for my brother that I assumed was empty but arrived 3/4 full (the other 1/4 leaked in the package).

If you buy from sellers who have 100% feedback and describe the item with great detail then you shouldn't have a problem. You do need to watch out for the seller with 96% feedback (just an example) with a crappy sell phone image of the bottle and the description "rare bottle of bourbon, must see". Also, with the way paypal is these days, if you received an item that wasn't as described, you can open a claim and get your money back fairly easily. I've disputed several items (not bourbon) that either didn't arrive or arrived damaged, not exactly as described, etc. and been able to get my money back within 20 days.

All that being said, you can score some pretty rare things you wouldn't ever run across normally or ever for that matter.

Not to point out the obvious, but if the tamper evident cap, strip seal or wax isn't intact that'd be a good warning sign! I did however recently see someone bid 49.99 for an older bottle of Weller Antique with the strip seal very clearly completely broken on each side; probably not a good idea.

As for the OG BiB, that was a good price I'd say.

IMO, you can't complain about the scarcity of limited edition bottlings on the shelves due to hoarding and then support the hoarders/flippers with eBay purchases. Absent the easy conduit for illegal sales on eBay, I think that bottle hoarding would be less of an issue.

Keep an eye on some of the SB purchase threads and compare them to auctions on eBay. You will find that there are flippers in our midst.

Anything for a quick buck, I guess.

IMO, you can't complain about the scarcity of limited edition bottlings on the shelves due to hoarding and then support the hoarders/flippers with eBay purchases. Absent the easy conduit for illegal sales on eBay, I think that bottle hoarding would be less of an issue.

Keep an eye on some of the SB purchase threads and compare them to auctions on eBay. You will find that there are flippers in our midst.

Anything for a quick buck, I guess.

For me at least, I'm not interested in the newly-released, limited bottlings on ebay. If I can't get those thru a retailer, I do without.

I'm focused on the older stuff, either not in production any longer or just better than the current iteration.

I have a handle of OGD BIB from the early 80s, about half empty now and every drop enjoyed!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.