Handy 2006-2010 -- favorites?

LikeItWasSodaPop
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I found a store that has Handy bottles from 2006 to 2010. Pretty sure most of the local Binny'ses have the 09 and 10 on the shelves, so I'm curious if anyone has opinions on the 06, 07, and 08 relative to the most recent versions.

While many say this bottling isn't up to the level as the rest of the AC lineup, they are great. And if you read the thread a couple down from this, you will see some other opinions on it.

These are great vintages, I wouldn't put one above another.

My bottom line, if I found these around me, I wouldn'T hesitate to pick them them. Great opportunity to do a vertical tasting of them.

B

Never had the 2006, but my order of preference for the others are:

1. 2008 (Big time number one.)

2. 2010

3. 2007

4. 2009

Just to emphasize how subjective taste is:

1 2010

2 2009

3-4 2006 2007 (it's been awhile and can't remember how they would rank)

5 2008 (I almost stopped buying Handy because of this one

Tom

They are all very good. I don't open more than one at a time so comparison between years is difficult, but I have enjoyed them all. Don't think I have had on 06', but the rest are top notch.

I didn't notice enough difference in them to really pick a favorite, I did find the 2008 to be a little 'different' but couldn't recall and say now whether that was in a good or bad way.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Time and time again, SB teaches me about the individual nature of preferences. Just seeing that TomH hates the 2008 and White Dog (SB member whose tastes I either totally agree or utterly diagree with) loves it is enough for me to make it my first purchase. This store just isn't selling the Handy so I can slowly buy up the back stock.

Thanks everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

Handy seems to be the one BTAC for which supply exceeds demand, at least in some areas, Oregon being one. I know of three stores where I can get it, one right here in River City.

Handy seems to be the one BTAC for which supply exceeds demand, at least in some areas, Oregon being one. I know of three stores where I can get it, one right here in River City.

They seem to release this one 2x a year - it showed up in the spring & fall in Michigan, and that appears to be the case here in TX (back on the shelves again...)

Makes sense - how hard is it to come by a Whiskey that's still in full production, in one of the fastest growth segments (rye) of whiskey, and is a handful of years shy of even a decade - and uses the same mashbill as a regularly available offering.

I'd almost expect that we'll see Handy become a staple of the BT lineup - and hopefully with a nice drop in price, too (I can wish...). Afterall, there is no other "always available" Cask/Barrel Strength Rye on the market - and BT wants to own every category, right?

I would be thrilled to have it year round...

Thanks everyone for the responses. Time and time again, SB teaches me about the individual nature of preferences. Just seeing that TomH hates the 2008 and White Dog (SB member whose tastes I either totally agree or utterly diagree with) loves it is enough for me to make it my first purchase. This store just isn't selling the Handy so I can slowly buy up the back stock.

Thanks everyone!

Ha! Let us know your thoughts on the various releases once you taste. I always say the only way to do it right is to taste every damn release, from every damn producer, just to get to the bottom of it.:cool: :cool: :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone list the appropriate proofs for each of these releases?

Thanks! Just confirmed mine is a 2010. I cracked it open last night and my mind is blown! What a wonderfully rich and delicious rye. I am going to buy a few more bottles.

I was always partial to the 2006... candy and spice.... I have not yet tasted the 2010...

I like the 2006 the best as well. Of course back in 2006, the BTAC was priced at $49/bottle. Now days at $79/bottle, I think some of the BTAC is overpriced, including the young Handy and the low proof ER17.

I've had 2007-2010. They are surprisingly consistent. It is one of my favorite ryes. I really like Baby Saz as well, so... I think it is a bargain at $55. Anything over that, and it depends on how much money is in my wallet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.