Four Roses quick visit in June

aaronbarker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all,

The family and I will be heading to Gatlinburg for a week in late June. My wife is gracious enough to allow us to stop by a distillery either on the way down or back and I'm favoring Four Roses. How long does a tour last or is there anything to do there otherwise that would take no more than an hour? They'll get bored quickly. I'll wanna stay all day.

Thanks in advance for the help,

aaron

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Four Roses one of the distilleries that ceases production in summer?

If it's not too far out of your way, I highly recommend the Buffalo Trace Hardhat Tour. It's a blast, especially if Fred is your guide!

Brian

Four Roses and Buffalo Trace don't distill during the summer. BT will probably distill up to the end of June. Our Hard Hat tours are at 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM M-F. 11:30 AM SAt. Call ahead for reservations. We don't distill on Sat. so it's better durring the week.

4 Roses is also a great tour. We're only about 35 minutes apart. 4 Roses and BT tours are about 1 hour. Visit both!:grin:

Four Roses and Buffalo Trace don't distill during the summer. BT will probably distill up to the end of June. Our Hard Hat tours are at 10:30 AM and 1:30 PM M-F. 11:30 AM SAt. Call ahead for reservations. We don't distill on Sat. so it's better durring the week.

4 Roses is also a great tour. We're only about 35 minutes apart. 4 Roses and BT tours are about 1 hour. Visit both!:grin:

We'd be passing through on either 6/18 or 6/25. Hadn't thought about distilling schedules. I doubt my wife (and kids) would let me do both so I may have to choose. I'd at least like to stop by the visitor centers and pick up something interesting. There's still a lot of time between now and then to get organized...thanks!

Aaron

I agree with visiting both. I just came back from a KY roadtrip. We didn't find any PVW (it got released to the Liquor Barn the day after we left!), BUT the Four Roses tour was great. It seemed so small and quaint, and the tour guide there was very kind and enthusiastic. The BT hardhat tour was another matter. It was off the charts. We managed to get a reservation in on Monday, and some damp weather scared off others, so my buddy and I got the personal hardhat tour. JW was our tour guide and he was awesome -- so enthusiastic and knowledgeable! We really felt like we were getting the royal treatment. We even ran into one Mr. Elmer T. Lee, who was gracious enough to indulge us with a photograph!

• 4 weeks later...

4 Roses and Wild Turkey can't be more than ten mins apart. 4 roses won't be distilling, and I got through there in an hour last year when they were down for summer shutdown.

We'd be passing through on either 6/18 or 6/25. Hadn't thought about distilling schedules. I doubt my wife (and kids) would let me do both so I may have to choose. I'd at least like to stop by the visitor centers and pick up something interesting. There's still a lot of time between now and then to get organized...thanks!

Aaron

Well worth it to visit 4R's and WT.... very different in look and feel.

• 3 weeks later...

Head over to Wild Turkey, they have a huge new plant. Before you turn right to go down to Wild turkey continue on straight across the bridge.

Then turn around and come back. You will see a fantastic view.

FYI, I got to 4R at 9 and got out of WT at noon, and was in no particular hurry.

Head over to Wild Turkey, they have a huge new plant. Before you turn right to go down to Wild turkey continue on straight across the bridge.

Then turn around and come back. You will see a fantastic view.

I second the opinion of this view. I just wish there was a good spot to stop to take a picture.

My parents visited a few months ago. From Frankfort we came down the river, by Old Crow, Old Taylor, and Woodford, then came straight south so we could approach Lawrenceburg across that bridge. It was very scenic.

• 7 months later...
While Four Roses won't be distilling, they'll still be doing the full tour; the equipment will just not be running. They say that this provides the opportunity to go places you can't otherwise, although I'm not sure where those places will be. You'll still see the whole thing; it will just be quieter and won't smell the same.

• 2 weeks later...
Have any of you done the "non-producing season" tour at 4R? I'm overnighting very close to it this July and planning a 9 am visit before heading to NC. I've seen Beam and MM in action before, so I won't have to imagine too hard what the normal sights, sounds and smells would be....

I've been to 4R 3 times, all three with production idled. It's still a decent tour, but if you're close to 4R then you're close to WT, which I prefer.

If you still want to do 4 roses, join the mellow moments club, and do a private tour.

You get a private tour and expanded tasting including all export bourbons.

Just google Mellow Moments Club. Sign up, and call the tour number when your package arrives.

If you still want to do 4 roses, join the mellow moments club, and do a private tour.

You get a private tour and expanded tasting including all export bourbons.

Just google Mellow Moments Club. Sign up, and call the tour number when your package arrives.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.