First Time KY trip - looking for help

chefnash51
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So, turning the big 30 in September and I knew my wife was planning a trip. Never would have thought that when she told me our dog had a note in her collar for me to read that it would say..

We are going to Kentucky!

Ecstatic to say the least!

So we are around the 10th of September and staying a week or so.

This falls right with the KBF.

My first question, is this a good thing? Or will all the tours be booked/crowded? I see that there are tours through the festival that you can book, but does that mean that it will be hard to get a tour outside of that time frame or without being part of the festival?

Obviously I am completely clueless on what to expect and how to tackle this trip. So I am looking for some guidance.

Is is best to stay in Louisville? Bardstown?

My goals are:

1. tour as many distilleries as possible (key one being BT hard hat tour) WT, MM, HH, Four Roses, JB, WR.

2. Would like to see some horse races if possible

3. Attend some function of the festival if any are worth it.

At first I was floored that we will be there during the festival, but as I read more and more, I am not sure it's actually beneficial to be there during it.

Going through what KBF has to offer, seems like most wouldn't interest me. There aren't any tastings besides the Gala, which is $$ and I'm sure a great time. But I doubt there is anything there to taste that I haven't had before.

A lot of what I read about the festival makes it sound like a drunken block party. Not really my thing, especially not my wife's.

So, any pointers/advice/guidance?

Thanks SB.

I think the two most interesting things during the KBF are the barrel race and the gazebo. I think the event at Four Roses is probably good, too, but I haven't made that one.

It's worth stopping just for the gazebo, though, even if you don't do anything else. And you don't have to buy a pin.

If one of you will be a designated driver, then you don't have to spend the night in Bardstown, which will give you more lodging options.

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of help to offer, but I can tell you that the tours are great. The BT Hard Hat tour, WR, FR, MM, and HH tours were a lot of fun. Beam was a disappointment, but I'm looking forward to checking out the new tour when it opens as well as the new WT tour.

Whatever happens, have a great time!

I think the two most interesting things during the KBF are the barrel race and the gazebo. I think the event at Four Roses is probably good, too, but I haven't made that one.

It's worth stopping just for the gazebo, though, even if you don't do anything else. And you don't have to buy a pin.

If one of you will be a designated driver, then you don't have to spend the night in Bardstown, which will give you more lodging options.

I'm sorry, what are you referring to in regards to the gazebo? I thought that was the Bourbon Sampler.

When people refer to the gazebo, they are referring to the gazebo behind The General Nelson motel. Many SB members stay there and in the evening, we gather in the gazebo to sample bourbon and other whiskies. Everyone brings at least 1 bottle and places it on a table in the gazebo to share with all. There are usually many whiskies that are quite old, single barrels, and new whiskey. The great part is meeting members. Below is a photograh of the whiskey selection at a prior gazebo.

post-1005-14489817272032_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry, what are you referring to in regards to the gazebo? I thought that was the Bourbon Sampler.

Kevin, the Gazebo at he General Nelson rocks for both the Sampler in Spring, and KBF in the Fall.

Nice - thanks for clarifying that fellas!

One more reason to go during this time then!

The question of where to stay is a tough one. Louisville will give you more cosmopolitan choices for lodging and restaurants, but you will be pretty far from the action during festival week. At this time, you may be hard pressed to find a room in the Bardstown area for the week as rooms tend to go quickly.

Whatever you choose, do it quickly to maximize your options.

The Four Roses event is very good and includes a tour of the distillery.

The official festival events are all a waste of time and money except the barrel rolling competition on Saturday morning, which is free and a complete hoot. That gives you a chance to walk around the festival grounds, visit the distillery booths, and visit the Oscar Getz Museum, after which you can dispense with the official festival. The Saturday afternoon auction to benefit the Getz is also fun.

Half of the distilleries you can tour are in the Bardstown area and half are in the Lexington area, and those two areas are about an hour apart, so it might make sense to lodge in the Lexington area while visiting Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace.

The thoroughbred track in Lexington is Keeneland and it's a very different experience from Churchill Downs in Louisville. Keeneland only runs about seven weeks a years and, unfortunately, the fall meet doesn't start until October.

Be sure to tour Independent Stave's Kentucky Cooperage in Lebanon. Good country restaurant next door.

Best time to be in Bardstown during the Festival is Thursday through Saturday. Those are the evenings you want to be at the Gazebo. Even with a DD, staying at the Gen Nelson means the DD can go to bed while you Gazebo the night away, aiding marital harmony.

If you can't get a room at the Gen Nelson the next best choice is one of the area's excellent B&B's, a couple of which are within walking distance of the Gen Nelson.

• 3 weeks later...
The Four Roses event is very good and includes a tour of the distillery.

The official festival events are all a waste of time and money except the barrel rolling competition on Saturday morning, which is free and a complete hoot. That gives you a chance to walk around the festival grounds, visit the distillery booths, and visit the Oscar Getz Museum, after which you can dispense with the official festival. The Saturday afternoon auction to benefit the Getz is also fun.

Half of the distilleries you can tour are in the Bardstown area and half are in the Lexington area, and those two areas are about an hour apart, so it might make sense to lodge in the Lexington area while visiting Wild Turkey, Four Roses, Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace.

The thoroughbred track in Lexington is Keeneland and it's a very different experience from Churchill Downs in Louisville. Keeneland only runs about seven weeks a years and, unfortunately, the fall meet doesn't start until October.

Be sure to tour Independent Stave's Kentucky Cooperage in Lebanon. Good country restaurant next door.

Best time to be in Bardstown during the Festival is Thursday through Saturday. Those are the evenings you want to be at the Gazebo. Even with a DD, staying at the Gen Nelson means the DD can go to bed while you Gazebo the night away, aiding marital harmony.

If you can't get a room at the Gen Nelson the next best choice is one of the area's excellent B&B's, a couple of which are within walking distance of the Gen Nelson.

I'm still pretty new to this board, and I've also planned a trip for my boyfriend to Bardstown during the Festival. We weren't sure if we should take the tours run by the Festival or go off on our own. We like the group atmosphere so taking a bus trip with a bunch of people would be great. Is the Gazebo open for those not staying at the General Nelson? Any chance a room is still available there? The Gazebo sounds like something right up our alley!!!

So, turning the big 30 in September and I knew my wife was planning a trip. Never would have thought that when she told me our dog had a note in her collar for me to read that it would say..

We are going to Kentucky!

Ecstatic to say the least!

So we are around the 10th of September and staying a week or so.

This falls right with the KBF.

My first question, is this a good thing? Or will all the tours be booked/crowded? I see that there are tours through the festival that you can book, but does that mean that it will be hard to get a tour outside of that time frame or without being part of the festival?

Obviously I am completely clueless on what to expect and how to tackle this trip. So I am looking for some guidance.

Is is best to stay in Louisville? Bardstown?

My goals are:

1. tour as many distilleries as possible (key one being BT hard hat tour) WT, MM, HH, Four Roses, JB, WR.

2. Would like to see some horse races if possible

3. Attend some function of the festival if any are worth it.

At first I was floored that we will be there during the festival, but as I read more and more, I am not sure it's actually beneficial to be there during it.

Going through what KBF has to offer, seems like most wouldn't interest me. There aren't any tastings besides the Gala, which is $$ and I'm sure a great time. But I doubt there is anything there to taste that I haven't had before.

A lot of what I read about the festival makes it sound like a drunken block party. Not really my thing, especially not my wife's.

So, any pointers/advice/guidance?

Thanks SB.

Depending on what your wife will want to do, Louisville may be your best bet. With Louisville as your base, you can easily tour the 7 distilleries you have listed (as well as 1792) in two days for the regular tours, and easily in three for the hardhat and another more expansive tour. You can also hit some of the "Urban Bourbon Trial". in the evenings, and see live racing at Churchill Downs.

Also consider that if you're in KY a week, you don't have to spend every night in the same town. You could easily stay in Louisville a few nights, and then move into the smaller area for a couple.

Frankfort has a nice restaurant and whiskey bar...Serafina. Very convenitent to BT and may be a place to stay with reletively short drives to other sites.

... Is the Gazebo open for those not staying at the General Nelson? Any chance a room is still available there? The Gazebo sounds like something right up our alley!!!

Second question first: Your best bets reserving the GN for the Festival are very early, and very late. It's probably 'no vacancy' right now. But, as the event approaches, there will be cancellations, early checkouts, etc. So, oddly, while you might not be able to reserve a room today, you may well be able to get one on a walk-up basis Friday or Saturday during the Festival.

Regarding the gazebo, and "The Gazebo": the gazebo is a simple outdoor, covered meeting area next to the GN parking lot. "The Gazebo", when mentioned here by those who attend those gatherings, really doesn't have anything to do, besides location, with the GN, and is open to all (legal and cordial) comers. You'll be hard-pressed to decide afterward whether to be more in awe of the whiskeys on the tables, or the folks surrounding them.

Second question first: Your best bets reserving the GN for the Festival are very early, and very late. It's probably 'no vacancy' right now. But, as the event approaches, there will be cancellations, early checkouts, etc. So, oddly, while you might not be able to reserve a room today, you may well be able to get one on a walk-up basis Friday or Saturday during the Festival.

Regarding the gazebo, and "The Gazebo": the gazebo is a simple outdoor, covered meeting area next to the GN parking lot. "The Gazebo", when mentioned here by those who attend those gatherings, really doesn't have anything to do, besides location, with the GN, and is open to all (legal and cordial) comers. You'll be hard-pressed to decide afterward whether to be more in awe of the whiskeys on the tables, or the folks surrounding them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.