BOTM 5/11: Four Roses Yellow Label

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry I'm a day late with this one. I was at the sampler having fun. :grin:

I was a bit surprised that this months selection hadn't been BOTM before. So, there you go. Four Roses Yellow Label it is.

I've only had this once, and I thought it was pretty good. I didn't take any notes, so that's all I have to say. :shocked: Yeah that's right. Me not having a lot to say for a change. :lol:

Cheers, and happy posting. Joe

Good timing, I have been eyeing this bourbon in particular for quite some time now. Looks like now is the time to finally take it off the shelf, I'll report back with my review within the week if all goes well (finals week at school).

I'm really glad this one was picked, because I don't know anything about this bourbon. I have had both the Single Barrel and the Small Batch, but I have yet to try the Yellow Label.

I do have an unopened 5th of it, however.

The first thing I noticed was the plastic screw cap. Their other selections are corked.

Now, the plastic-cap isn't a turn-off for me, because one of my favorite bourbons, Weller Antique, uses a plastic-cap, but so do a bunch of other Wellers.

This is the only one, from the Four Roses family, that has one, if I'm not mistaken, which gives me the slightest pause.

Does anyone know how old this bourbon is?

I forgot how much I paid for it.

I would go ahead and already try this bourbon, but I didn't see this thread until I already started sippin' on some Buffalo Trace, and with this bourbon only being 80 proof, I think I have already ruined my palate.

Speaking of which, this bourbon is only 80 proof. I can't even remember the last time I had an 80-proof bourbon. Seriously, I'm thinking, and I cannot think of even one.

Hell, I cant even think of any 80 proof bourbons, lol. Wild Turkey 80 proof is the only one that even comes to mind, right of the bat, and I don't think I have ever even tried it. Loving Wild Turkey 101, I always thought the 80 proof would be a let-down.

Thankfully I have some of the Four Roses Small Batch to try in comparison.

I think I'll give it a whirl tomorrow night.

I'm surprised more people haven't jumped on this one. I know Four Roses isn't available in every state, but it seems they have been pushing hard towards that goal.

Yellow Label is one of my favorite regular pours. It can be found @ <$20 in my state. Many members will likely mention that it is a great summertime pour, and I will have to agree.

The great thing about the Yellow Label is that I feel like they do a great job of putting a lot of flavor into a light bodied 80 proofer. It is a great change of pace from my other everyday pour bourbons, which tend to by in your face with flavor types (OGD 114, WT101, etc).

FRYL has a nice subtle floral, rye, vanilla nose. Initial taste is very very subtle, maybe some carmel-y maple syrup, but again, very light. Also, no alcohol burn at all. The finish is where this really shines for me. A burst of gentle spiciness gently tingles your tongue. I also get some vanilla and rye.

The reason I think a lot of people say it's a great summer bourbon is because of it's light body, laid back taste, but a great finish to make it worth your time. In the summertime, after working hard, you want to sit outside, lay back, and drink a relaxing bourbon, and for me FRYL fits that bill.

Nose starts out a bit medicinal, followed by lots of mint and clove on the middle, and a nice touch of coffee and maple on the finish.

It's good, and I would say it's one of the best, if not the best, 80 proofer on the market.

That said, I never reach for it. I hate to say this, as I often complain that Bourbon connoisseurs are the most frugal group of people on the planet, but at $20 it's never gonna be a staple for me. If it was $15, I'd swim in it, but for near $20 there are just too many other higher proof options out there. Weller SR, OGD, VOB, WT101... And if I want a summer Bourbon, I'll drop an ice cube in OGD.

(Before Josh and Oscar jump on my case, let me also state that I adore the house of FR. I try to stash as much SBLE 2009 and 100th as I can afford, and I love FRSB, Mariage 2009 and SmB LE 2009 as well.)

I just tasted this, in the company of T Comp, at the distillery. It is a smooth buttery number, with an appealing yellow fruit character. Every bottle (to my taste) is slightly different and I bought one from the distillery shop and hope it is exactly the same because the one tasted on this tour was superlative. But it's all good, as they say.

Gary

never had this before but have seen several times.

When I learned that this was a blend of all 10 four roses recipes, I became intrigued. I may have to pick a bottle of this up.

This has to be one of the lightest bodied/mouthfeel I have ever had, not in bad way, mind you.

Not much woodiness or dark flavors, which allows the fruitiness of this bourbon to shine. I taste pears and green apples. Not too sweet, though, thank god. Being overly-sweet would have killed this bourbon for me.

The finish has a lot more rye spiciness than you would expect, which helps balance the fruit flavors.

Overall this is a very laid-back, extremely easy to drink, bourbon. Nice change of pace from the heavier bourbons, where the dark flavors sometimes mask the lighter-fruity flavors.

Definitely a summer-time bourbon.

Acquired my bottle today, will be sampling it with some company this weekend, will try to take notes of our results and see how they compare with those poster here.

Probably the best value all around bourbon in the under $20 market. For an 80 proofer it has enough flavor to enjoy neat and works well as a mixer. Always a bottle open on my bar....

Nose starts out a bit medicinal, followed by lots of mint and clove on the middle, and a nice touch of coffee and maple on the finish.

It's good, and I would say it's one of the best, if not the best, 80 proofer on the market.

That said, I never reach for it. I hate to say this, as I often complain that Bourbon connoisseurs are the most frugal group of people on the planet, but at $20 it's never gonna be a staple for me. If it was $15, I'd swim in it, but for near $20 there are just too many other higher proof options out there. Weller SR, OGD, VOB, WT101... And if I want a summer Bourbon, I'll drop an ice cube in OGD.

(Before Josh and Oscar jump on my case, let me also state that I adore the house of FR. I try to stash as much SBLE 2009 and 100th as I can afford, and I love FRSB, Mariage 2009 and SmB LE 2009 as well.)

Jumping down your throat...:lol:

I think you make a good point. I like yellow label a lot, but the proof is a drawback. I think Yellow Label excels in manhattans and old fashioneds and sipping neat, but it can get a little lost on the rocks.

Nevertheless, it has a distinctive tast that is unlike most anything else on the market. I do love the stuff and I always have it on hand!

I think you make a good point. I like yellow label a lot, but the proof is a drawback. I think Yellow Label excels in manhattans and old fashioneds and sipping neat, but it can get a little lost on the rocks.

Nevertheless, it has a distinctive tast that is unlike most anything else on the market. I do love the stuff and I always have it on hand!

Hey Mr. Rutledge how about Yellow Label at 100 proof or even barrel proof? I'm sure there are many reasons why not, especially considering Four Roses and their innovative releases, but one can always hope.

Hey Thad...

We asked Mr. Rutledge that very question last week and he admitted that he would like to see an increase in proof on the Yellow label to somewhere in the 86 to 90 range. He doubted that would ever happen based on the economics and the like...but one can hope that someone at FR will listen to their Master Distiller eventually! :rolleyes:

I like this bottling. Stu has been evangelizing for a 100pf version to Jim Rutledge for awhile and it's good to see others on the same tack. It just makes too much sense for 4Roses not to do it.

I'm glad this is finally available in OH. I'm looking forward to using it as a light summer sipper with a few cubes in the heat of the summer.

I did find this a couple years ago in Jerusalem. They do not have many imports there as their VAT on alcohol is very high. I was sick of Beer and Jamesons so I sprung for several of these. The price I paid for a pour there could nearly buy a bottle here.

Probably the best value all around bourbon in the under $20 market.

Huh?

Oh, wait, you aren't in Oregon.

It being the FR entrant in the hotly contested JDBL/WT101 price range category, let's look at how it stacks up (OR prices):

Jack Daniels Black Label $20.95 80 proof

Wild Turkey $23.05 101 proof

Jim Beam Black Label $21.95 86 proof

Old Grand Dad BiB $21.05 100 proof

Buffalo Trace $22.95 90 proof

Old Forester Signature $22.45 100 proof

Four Roses Yellow Label $21.95 80 proof

Which is why I've never tried it. I'm sure it's better than JDBL (how's that for a prejudiced statement) but I don't buy that either.

...Mr. Rutledge...would like to see an increase in proof on the Yellow label to somewhere in the 86 to 90 range.

...but one can hope that someone at FR will listen to their Master Distiller eventually! :rolleyes:

It just makes too much sense for 4Roses not to do it.

Sense? Kirin? Japanese corporation? Didn't one of those build nuclear reactors in a tsunami zone?

I suppose I should try it one of these days. If it weren't for the darn proof/price ratio...

Probably the best value all around bourbon in the under $20 market.

Especially in Pennsylvania where they closed it out for 11.99. Me and Stu got our share.

Joe :usflag:

I like this bottling. Stu has been evangelizing for a 100pf version to Jim Rutledge for awhile and it's good to see others on the same tack. It just makes too much sense for 4Roses not to do it.

Huh?

Oh, wait, you aren't in Oregon.

It being the FR entrant in the hotly contested JDBL/WT101 price range category, let's look at how it stacks up (OR prices):

Jack Daniels Black Label $20.95 80 proof

Wild Turkey $23.05 101 proof

Jim Beam Black Label $21.95 86 proof

Old Grand Dad BiB $21.05 100 proof

Buffalo Trace $22.95 90 proof

Old Forester Signature $22.45 100 proof

Four Roses Yellow Label $21.95 80 proof

I have a bottle of FR Small Batch open that I like very much. I've been stepping out of my "go-to" bottles lately and sampling a bunch of standard mid price bourbons that I had either never tried or has been a while. This fits the list, and after the varying comments above I look forward to adding my own. I'll add comments in a week or so.

$17.95 in Va.......

At that price I wouldn't hesitate.

This is my standard pour unless I'm experimenting. Last summer a local liquor superstore decided not to carry it anymore. Because he knew I liked it, the manager said he would give me a good price if I would buy all he had in stock in order to clear up shelf space so I got about 4 cases of 750s for $5 a bottle and 5 cases of 1.75s for $20 a bottle. As a thank you he got me a Four Roses (Troy Brady) barrel head signed by Jim Rutledge which hangs prominently above my bar.

For whatever reason they decided to start carrying the 1.75s again for $25 a bottle. At that price it is a steal so I keep buying it and saving my other in case they stop selling it again.

IMO it's a light easy drinking bourbon that does well neat, with ice, and mixes well with other bourbons. Also, It is about the only bourbon my wife will drink.

...For whatever reason they decided to start carrying the 1.75s again for $25 a bottle.

OMG :bigeyes: I am extremely envious of that price. $20 standard for the 750 here in Neb. Also, signed barrel top is pretty freakin sweet too. :bowdown:

I like all the Four Roses expressions. I would like to see the yellow label at a higher proof but I'll take as is.

I will be passing on this one because I just do not buy 80 proof juice do like the single barrel expressions though

Wasn't there a label change to a black label? Did I dream that?

i must have. Was there a label change?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.