Vatting Vodka

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This sounds like a reductio ad absurdum, but let's pursue it anyway. Can vodka be vatted? I say yes. Recently, I combined three Polish vodkas with one Russian and one from ... I can't recall, maybe Finland. The taste is just the perfect vodka. Creamy, rounded, a touch peppery (it's rectified alcohol after all) but just tasting right. On their own, I didn't find the elements as good although, after some 40 years tasting spirits of various kinds, I am convinced the Poles make the best vodka. Even the inexpensive brands have something special to them. Rye vodka in particular from Poland gets my vote, but I like my vatting. This may end up at the next SB gathering I can attend, iced.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I would say, "Only you would do this, Gary," but I have been tempted to combine some Sobieski (spicy rye) with Stoly Gold (wet stone, creamy) to see if the result was better than the ingredients. If it is, I could keep it in my old Smirnoff de Czar bottle (kept because it looked cool).

Gary..Gary...Gary....

Go ahead and blend all the odorless and tasteless vodka you want and you still end up with Vodka. I maintain a big difference in Vodkas is the water (? and other additives?) that are used to cut it to 80 proof. The better experiment would be to buy Everclear, aka 190 proof GNS, and experiment with cutting with different water types (ph level, hardness, sugar?, etc.)

The better experiment would be to buy Everclear, aka 190 proof GNS, and experiment with cutting with different water types (ph level, hardness, sugar?, etc.)

Been tempted to do that too. The water at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood is really good, and the next time we're up that way I'm going to bring back a jug of it. Some might get mixed with Everclear to see what kind of vodka that produces.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.