Michters "NEW" bottling-any info about this one?

Veevee
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Big companies move very slowly and the booze business moves slower than most, but I think there are hopeful signs that at least some decision-makers in the industry are beginning to understand and respond to the enthusiast market (i.e., us).

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Chuck I think the time has come that the ditillers stand up and take notice. Buffalo Trace did and now they have World's Best Whiskey Award in their back pocket and are sold out.The current bottling of Michter's is a sham! It's not Michter's famous Pennsylvania Pot-Stilled whiskey at all!!!!! Why should anyone pay hommage to this? Whatever the whiskey in the bottle may be - it might be good, and then again it might not - Why honor it????? confused.gif - Linn

Here's the Michter's story as I know it:

The brand is owned by a distributor/importer in NYC by the name of Chatham Imports.

I first bottled some rye and bourbon for them in September of 2000. They actually purchased some whiskey from United Distillers and the barrels were shipped to me in Lawrenceburg. I think both the rye and bourbon were 10-years old. I only bottled the whiskey for them. None of that whiskey was mine.I bottled a few more cases of bourbon in April of 2002. That was the last I did for them. Thought the rye was better than the bourbon at the time. I think both were distilled at UD's Bernheim plant here in Louisville.

They wanted me to continue bottling the brand for them, but as you all know, I closed down my bottling operation in Lawrenceburg last July. So I told Chatham to call Evan K. He is now scheduled to bottle their Michter's label. I tasted the whiskey recently and it tastes alot like HH to me, but I'm not sure. About the only distillerys selling bulk whiskey these days are HH & UD.

Chatham is now using a new round bottle, but I don't think they have bottled any yet in Bardstown.

I hope that explains a few things about this mysterious "whiskey business".

PS. I think I saw in one of Chuck's posts in this Michter's thread that I had bottled all my stocks of Stitzel-Weller bourbon, and I should be now using Buffalo Trace's stock. I actually had SW make whiskey for me as far back as 1982, up til 1992, so I'll be using that distilation under my label for quite sometime. I'll be using BT whiskey for the first time perhaps next year for my 10-year old.

Julian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I actually had SW make whiskey for me as far back as 1982, up til 1992, so I'll be using that distilation under my label for quite sometime.

Chuck:

All of my SW barrels are now at Buffalo Trace.

My Lawrenceburg place is empty, except for a few choice bottles, and the property is for sale.

Julian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.